The Olbermann Suspension

Everything About the Young Turks because the TYT Army is too Strong!
PhilbertReturns

The Olbermann Suspension

Postby PhilbertReturns » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Cover your ears, Marie. You ain't gonna like this...
"That's why I do. I drink...and I knowthings."

-Tyrion Lannister

"Game of Thrones"

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: The Olbermann Suspension

Postby Marie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:23 pm

PhilbertReturns wrote:

Cover your ears, Marie. You ain't gonna like this...

All this editorializing is a day late and a dollar short, Philbert. Keith already said he didn't click the link, which he often didn't while engaging in "batting practice" -- which is why he's made the decision to drop "batting practice" henceforth. Twitter moves too fast, tweets overlap, and although most of his rejoinders were hilarious, it's just not worth the risk.

It really would help if these folks would slow down and get all the facts before they shoot off their faces -- esp. since that's exactly what Miss Thang thinks he should have done. :wink:

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

PhilbertReturns

Postby PhilbertReturns » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:04 pm

Marie wrote:It really would help if these folks would slow down and get all the facts before they shoot off their faces -- esp. since that's exactly what Miss Thang thinks he should have done. :wink:

-Marie-

HAH! Exactly the reaction I was expecting. That does raise a question though. I had assumed that Cenk and Keith were somewhat close since Olbermann supposedly got Cenk the guest host job on MSNBC and was instrumental in having him follow Keith over to CURRENT.

Apparently they had a falling out somewhere along the line. I am curious as to what the problem was.

:-k

-Tyrion Lannister

"Game of Thrones"

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:48 pm

PhilbertReturns wrote:HAH! Exactly the reaction I was expecting. . . .

I like to avoid disappointing people whenever possible.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 pm

PhilbertReturns wrote:I had assumed that Cenk and Keith were somewhat close since Olbermann supposedly got Cenk the guest host job on MSNBC and was instrumental in having him follow Keith over to CURRENT.

Apparently they had a falling out somewhere along the line. I am curious as to what the problem was.
:-k

Unbeknown to Cenk, Keith didn't think Cenk was ready to helm his own show, pointing out that Cenk had little television news experience and was therefore inexperienced with the level of fact-checking, etc. involved in putting together a professional show. Nevertheless, Cenk was given his own show on Current over Keith's objections. It's important to note that Keith NEVER said Cenk was incapable of EVER hosting his own show -- just that he needed more experience. I'm assuming Keith intended to mentor Cenk the same way he did for Rachel. But Current management went over his head (one of many violations of their contract with him), further muddying their working relationship. When Keith filed his lawsuit, the details of that disagreement came out in the pleadings, and Cenk was insulted.

The irony is that neither Keith's nor Cenk's job was long for this world, because at that very same time Hyatt & Gore were looking to sell off the channel to settle their huge debts and make a big pile. Keith subsequently relieved the pair of the better part of $50-million of that pile when they agreed to settle his lawsuit for illegally dismissing him. (The folks who represent Keith mainly represent sports figures in contract matters and they are barracudas.)

-Marie-

PhilbertReturns

Postby PhilbertReturns » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks for the explanation. They need to let that shit go. Cenk did say that while he's still pissed off at Olbermann for what he did/said, he does give him credit for being one of the first 'major' mainstream media types to stand up to the Bush War Machine in 2006. Whatever else we may think of Keith since then, it must be said that he did a lot of good between 2006-2011...he gave the opposition in this country a voice.

-Tyrion Lannister

"Game of Thrones"

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:31 pm

PhilbertReturns wrote:Thanks for the explanation. They need to let that shit go. Cenk did say that while he's still pissed off at Olbermann for what he did/said, he does give him credit for being one of the first 'major' mainstream media types to stand up to the Bush War Machine in 2006. Whatever else we may think of Keith since then, it must be said that he did a lot of good between 2006-2011...he gave the opposition in this country a voice.

And now he's still taking courageous positions on sports issues. In fact the very reason Twitter doesn't work for Keith is that he's not the sort of person to suffer fools gladly, or blindly.*

He also knows how to create good television. Cenk had a friend -- could have one again -- who saw his talent and wanted to help him develop it so he and the network wouldn't fall on their faces. That there were a couple of underhanded executives working behind their backs to sell everyone out is something that should unite them. Personally, I think everyone who accepted anything other than a short-term contract with Darth Hyatt and his pal Gore should have filed suit against them and the company for contracting with them under false pretenses. At any rate, Keith & Cenk should be mad at them, not each other.

-Marie-
*(Today someone suggested he should have a Twitter "draft folder" in which retorts sit over night, before he decides to send them. Good idea.)

Return to “The Young Turks”