I started watching again

Everything About the Young Turks because the TYT Army is too Strong!
JennyB

I started watching again

Postby JennyB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:46 am

It must be the Election season but for some reason the DH and I started watching the TYT again after months of boycotting Current...

It started a few weeks ago when I was channel surfing and Joy Behar show's and stopped to watch for a minute. I soon moved on, then I caught the segment with Susan Sarandon and Cyndi Lauper. I'm sort of hooked...

I think I like the Elliot Spitzer show but I'm trying not to, I think in the months that's he's been on he's found his Mojo... His guests are interesting and the conversation moves along...

Any one been watching?

proudliberal

Re: I started watching again

Postby proudliberal » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Absolutely not! I won't judge anyone here for watching it if they want; but I wouldn't watch Current again if they were the only news network left in existence, election season or not. Enjoy it while you can, though-- Hopefully by the time Keith's done with them, they'll be out of business.
Necessity is the mother of invention. We don't know who the father is, because Necessity gets around alot.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:32 pm

proudliberal wrote:Absolutely not! I won't judge anyone here for watching it if they want; but I wouldn't watch Current again if they were the only news network left in existence, election season or not. Enjoy it while you can, though-- Hopefully by the time Keith's done with them, they'll be out of business.

And Cenk will land on his feet when that happens. He has a lot of fans and will end up somewhere that they'll be able to watch him.

I'm starting to get a sense that the whole cable news concept is in the midst of a shakeup. The liberal/conservative paradigm isn't as satisfying to people as it was when it first emerged because none of the things partisans say are fresh and original any more. The human mind craves novelty and it seems to me that while the opportunity lasts, this would be a great time to introduce an element that's been in short supply for a long time: substance. Cut back on all the swirling graphics, pop-ups, tickers and sound effects, and give people stuff that really satisfies. Maybe even experiment with studio audiences again. It would be nice to see the hosts moving about the studio instead of posed before a phony backdrop anyway.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

proudliberal

Postby proudliberal » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Marie wrote:
proudliberal wrote:Absolutely not! I won't judge anyone here for watching it if they want; but I wouldn't watch Current again if they were the only news network left in existence, election season or not. Enjoy it while you can, though-- Hopefully by the time Keith's done with them, they'll be out of business.

And Cenk will land on his feet when that happens. He has a lot of fans and will end up somewhere that they'll be able to watch him.

I'm starting to get a sense that the whole cable news concept is in the midst of a shakeup. The liberal/conservative paradigm isn't as satisfying to people as it was when it first emerged because none of the things partisans say are fresh and original any more. The human mind craves novelty and it seems to me that while the opportunity lasts, this would be a great time to introduce an element that's been in short supply for a long time: substance. Cut back on all the swirling graphics, pop-ups, tickers and sound effects, and give people stuff that really satisfies. Maybe even experiment with studio audiences again. It would be nice to see the hosts moving about the studio instead of posed before a phony backdrop anyway.

-Marie-

I agree. Many of the shows seem to run together instead of standing out on their own. That's one of the reasons why I miss Keith so much. His shows were about substance; and even when he covered the same stories as those whose shows aired before his, he always seemed to find a different way to present them.

I think it would be interesting to have a studio audience present, maybe even let some of the audience members ask their own questions of the guests; but I'm not sure about having the hosts moving around the studio (ala Phil Donahue or Jerry Springer). Maybe they could set it up sort of like the late-night talk shows, with the host behind a desk but still mobile enough to engage the audience.

I'm hoping that Cenk does land on his feet, because I used to like watching his show from time to time. I just won't watch that network.
Necessity is the mother of invention. We don't know who the father is, because Necessity gets around alot.

Return to “The Young Turks”