Keith's dog advocacy interview w/the Hollywood Reporter 6/27/2019

Keith Olbermann related topics. This Forum combines all Olbermann threads from KeithOlbermann.Org. KO.O.
Marie
Certified Fan

Keith's dog advocacy interview w/the Hollywood Reporter 6/27/2019

Postby Marie » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:45 pm

He now has THREE dogs -- 2 girls and a new boy!
(Twitter response is heartwarming)

Why Keith Olbermann pivoted from politics to rescue pups
By Jeremy Barr
hollywoodreporter.com
CULTURE
6/26/2019 by

IN A 2016 VIDEO for GQ, Keith Olbermann said he "was born again" when he got a dog a few years earlier.

"I realized that dogs explain enough of the meaning of life that you don't need to know any of the other possible meanings of life," he added.

About a year later, Olbermann ended the digital video series -- after 187 episodes -- and decided formally to retire from political analysis and commentary (though he still hosts occasionally on SportsCenter). These days, he is still active on social media -- but now he's using his platform to encourage his followers to rescue at-risk dogs in New York's shelters and beyond.

While Olbermann said he's long been passionate about finding homes for dogs in shelters, about six months ago he began to focus on saving dogs who were facing death "for no defensible reason." Olbermann has also put his money where his mouth is, helping to defray the costs of adoptions and medical assessments or procedures.

"I try to keep myself to a budget of no more than $1,000 a week in dog charity," he said in an email. "Happily, I often fail."

Growing up, Olbermann said he was deathly allergic to dogs, only learning at the age of 53 that he could handle hypoallergenic breeds. "Having dogs for the first time at such an advanced age, I can appreciate them in ways that people who've had them all their lives might not be able to," he said. "Just how much of a positive, clarifying influence they can have on your life. So, every dog I help is really a way to say thank you to my dogs for the improvements they've made to my existence."

Olbermann works with volunteers and rescue organizations like Animal Care Centers of NYC to save as many dogs as possible, particularly in the summer months, when shelters fill up. Recently, the ACC asked to use his name as the "secret password" to wave fees on adoptions of dogs and cats.

"Within a day they'd had about half a dozen dogs and just as many cats adopted with my name used," which he said was "very gratifying."

"We don't have a humongous advertising budget, so he helps tremendously," said Katy Hansen, the ACC's director of marketing and communications. "We are so grateful." (When thanked for the interview, she said, "anything for Keith.")

The former MSNBC host personally adopted a puppy with a terminal heart condition that ended up being treatable with an operation. "The pup is now sitting next to me on the couch, so robustly healthy that his biggest medical issue is a little waxy build-up in one ear," he said.

"Dog advocacy" is the primary reason why Olbermann is still on Twitter, he said: "In the last year, I've deleted my very limited presences on Facebook and Instagram. If you see 'me' on there, it's a fake account that the Zuckerberg people refuse to delete unless I give them all my personal information."

But his 1 million-plus followers on Twitter can make a big difference for organizations like the ACC. "For this municipal city shelter to have someone with that kind of awareness and following is pretty incredible," Hansen said.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ps-1219360

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Keith's dog advocacy interview w/the Hollywood Reporter 6/27/2019

Postby Marie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:33 pm

Example of what can happen. Here's Keith's tweet about a dog at risk:
https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/stat ... 6339783685

And here's how it turned out! =D> --
Anne Margaret Daniel
‏ @venetianblonde

Beauty the puppy: a short story.

When I saw this post from Keith, I was very sad. What a beautiful little dog. Something about her face, gait, whole manner appealed immensely. I shared this tweet, and pledged money to help her be adopted — she was publicly available, despite the ACC stating she had behavioral problems.
On Saturday, as noon rolled around and she was on the At Risk list (animals on this list may be killed after a set time, and, horribly, sometimes before if they are not yet reserved) I paid the $200 fee to reserve her. I did not know this meant I had only 48 hours to pick her up. With broken foot, I can't drive. On Sunday, though, I spoke with an adoptions person at the ACC who told me Beauty had a foster all lined up, and she'd email me the foster's info later that day. Then, silence.
Monday I called and emailed, and got no reply. Something just told me to go in person, which my husband and I did Tuesday morning. Beauty was set to go back on the At Risk list that day for two reasons: she was too shy, and had (like many dogs at the ACC, it seems) kennel cough.
It was before adoption hours; dogs were being taken out for walks. The lady at the desk found my completed application, and looked to see what had happened. The foster had fallen through, and Beauty was just relisted. I pleaded, and showed them my cane and walking boot. They went to get Beauty so we could meet her. We waited.
Finally, a slight, cringing dog came forth into the isolation area. She hid behind the ACC employee in protective gear. She wouldn't let either of us touch her, and wanted only to go back into the building to hide. It seemed impossible. I was on the point of offering a further donation to help with her care, as my husband headed back to get the car. But I looked at this little girl, cowering on city concrete, and trembling all over, her tail so tucked it was against her stomach, and said, may I fill in the rest of the paperwork? I did. They got her into a collar and leash. I just took the leash, as she shrank, and said, "Beauty, sit." She paused in mid cower...and she sat. "Now let's go home," I said.
She kept my slow pace with me across the street, and sailed into the car. Almost immediately she licked my hand, and then settled in so calmly to watch the Deegan go by I couldn't believe it was the same dog.

‏She likes car rides.

She loves being upstate, with the strange feel of grass, the smell of trees and critters, the sound of birdsong. She loves being in isolation in my writing shack until she gets the all-clear from the vet. She and Hammo and Mavis survey each other over the field with happy curiosity. Mostly, though, she loves food, playing, her new bed and toys, and — foremost — belly rubs.
Moral: go with your gut when a dog is involved. In this rotten world, they are the best creatures of all.
Thanks to Keith and welcome home, girl. Meant to foster you but....

COMPLETE TWITTER thread -- with pics! - https://twitter.com/venetianblonde/stat ... 0966539264

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

StevenHW

Postby StevenHW » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Great article!

But since Keith travels every once in a while, does he take his dogs with him? Since he's doing the ESPN radio announcing for a game, I doubt the Yankee Stadium would allow him to bring a dog. And to my knowledge, he is not married nor seeing anyone else. So, does he have a caretaker when he's away?

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 pm

StevenHW wrote:Great article!

But since Keith travels every once in a while, does he take his dogs with him? Since he's doing the ESPN radio announcing for a game, I doubt the Yankee Stadium would allow him to bring a dog. And to my knowledge, he is not married nor seeing anyone else. So, does he have a caretaker when he's away?

He could certainly afford to board them. But I'm more inclined to think he'd rather leave them in the care of his sister and her kids, who live within easy driving distance.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

So, a woman walks into an animal shelter...

Postby Marie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:12 am

Keith tweets, "A hero." Here's why:

fox59.com
Woman walks into animal shelter, asks for 2 dogs that had been there the longest

ASHEVILLE, N.C. – Every animal lover will love this story.

A WOMAN NAMED LESLIE walked into a North Carolina animal shelter and asked to take home the two dogs that had been there the longest and the ones with the most special needs.

Leslie wasn’t joking, and the Asheville Humane Society knew just the pair for her.

According to a Facebook post, the humane society introduced Leslie to Sam, who had extensive medical issues and was returned to the shelter after being adopted — and 13-year-old Brutus, who has severe separation anxiety, and was originally surrendered to be euthanized.

“We vowed to find these two amazing dogs their second chance, no matter how long it took,” the Asheville Humane Society said.

On July 26, Leslie brought the two dogs to her home, which has two acres of fenced-in yard for them to “spend their golden years.” The heart-warming moment Leslie walked them to her car was captured on camera.

The shelter had touching words as the adoption took place:

“As she walked them to the car, Leslie talked softly to these two sweet souls, with their creaky joints and grey muzzles, who have been through so much hardship. She told both Sam and Brutus that they now had a family to love them for the rest of their days. And Leslie assured Brutus especially, who panics when left behind, that he would never spend another moment alone ever again (Leslie, you have a heart of gold!!!) There wasn’t a dry eye in sight as staff, board members and volunteers gathered to say a bittersweet goodbye to two of our favorite furry friends!”

https://fox59.com/2019/08/01/woman-walk ... e-longest/

-Marie-

Return to “Keith Olbermann”