Novelist, screenwriter William Goldman, 87

Post deaths of well known public figures here
Marie
Certified Fan

Novelist, screenwriter William Goldman, 87

Postby Marie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:14 pm

One of my all-time favorite writers since HS, I first discovered William Goldman through his novels. The first one I read was Boys and Girls Together, followed by Your Turn to Curtsy, My Turn to Bow, Tower of Gold, and The Princess Bride (long before it was made into a popular film). In college I remember debating my English instructor after class about whether WG was a good writer and ultimately persuading her that he was!

The man was great at coming at topics in offbeat and illuminating ways. I wish he could have lived forever.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/william-go ... 202503283/

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

StevenHW

Re: Novelist, screenwriter William Goldman, 87

Postby StevenHW » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:53 pm

The thing that I liked about his novel The Princess Bride was that he used the technique of "breaking the fourth wall", occasionally interrupting the story with a few trivial asides and a request to the reader to write to the publisher for the true alternate ending of the story. Unfortunately, that did not happen in the movie version!

Many of his original novels later were became films, either screen-written by him or adapted by other writers. He won Oscars for his scripts of Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid and All The President's Men.

His brother James Goldman was also an Academy Award-winning screenwriter and a Broadway playwright ("The Lion In Winter").

StevenHW

Postby StevenHW » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Keith Olbermann's Twitter feed mentioned Goldman several times today...

Held an annual soirée of his favorite sports people, which I was twice privileged to attend. Mastered and transcended his craft: have you ever said “follow the money?” It was not said by anybody in Watergate - Bill wrote that. And a funny, generous man. RIP.

I was 1st invited to a “sports salon” at Bill’s apartment in ‘95 and apart from being as impressive, funny, and kind as anybody I ever met:
A) the elevator OPENED INTO HIS APARTMENT
B) he had a FOUNTAIN
C) he had the largest wall of books I have ever seen outside a library.

Oh, yeah. He didn’t like the idea of his guests being inconvenienced so he had his CHAUFFEUR DRIVE ME HOME TWO HOURS TO CONNECTICUT AT MIDNIGHT.

Yes, he wrote 20 of the best screenplays and coined “follow the money” but more importantly Bill Goldman knew how to live!

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:53 pm

StevenHW wrote:Keith Olbermann's Twitter feed mentioned Goldman several times today...
Held an annual soirée of his favorite sports people, which I was twice privileged to attend. Mastered and transcended his craft: have you ever said “follow the money?” It was not said by anybody in Watergate - Bill wrote that. And a funny, generous man. RIP.

I was 1st invited to a “sports salon” at Bill’s apartment in ‘95 and apart from being as impressive, funny, and kind as anybody I ever met:
A) the elevator OPENED INTO HIS APARTMENT
B) he had a FOUNTAIN
C) he had the largest wall of books I have ever seen outside a library.

Oh, yeah. He didn’t like the idea of his guests being inconvenienced so he had his CHAUFFEUR DRIVE ME HOME TWO HOURS TO CONNECTICUT AT MIDNIGHT.

Yes, he wrote 20 of the best screenplays and coined “follow the money” but more importantly Bill Goldman knew how to live!

It makes me happy to know that Keith would be a Goldman associate and appreciator!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “RIP”