Kavanaugh: SCOTUS hearing surrounded by controversy

News you want to discuss. Threads should start with a reference or fact. Straight opinion is better housed in "The Lounge" below.
Frank the Crank

Re: Kavanaugh: SCOTUS hearing surrounded by controversy

Postby Frank the Crank » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Ford is a fabulist.

The Mitchell Memo’s Devastating Conclusions
The outside prosecutor demonstrates that Ford’s allegations against Judge Kavanaugh don’t stack up.

Rachel Mitchell, the outside prosecutor hired by Senate Republicans, took some heat last week for the methodical manner in which she questioned Christine Blasey Ford, the college professor who has accused Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault when they were in high school more than 35 years ago. Supporters of Judge Kavanaugh had expected Ms. Mitchell to be more combative, but she was more interested in being thorough. Now we know why.

On Sunday Ms. Mitchell sent senators a nine-page memo outlining her assessment of Ms. Ford’s testimony, and the portrait she paints of the accuser is devastating. Ms. Mitchell writes that Ms. Ford “has not offered a consistent account of the alleged assault”—when it happened and what occurred—and has even “struggled to identify Judge Kavanaugh as the accuser by name.”

“A ‘he said, she said’ case is incredibly difficult to prove,” writes Ms. Mitchell. “But this case is even weaker than that. Dr. Ford identified other witnesses to the event, and those witnesses either refuted her allegations or failed to corroborate them.” One of those supposed witnesses is Leland Keyser, a lifelong friend of Ms. Ford, whose attorney has stated: “Simply put, Ms. Keyser does not know Mr. Kavanaugh and she has no recollection of ever being at a party or gathering where he was present, with, or without, Dr. Ford.”

Here's the link:https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mitchell-memos-devastating-conclusions-1538519778

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Frank the Crank wrote:Ford is a fabulist.
The Mitchell Memo’s Devastating Conclusions
The outside prosecutor demonstrates that Ford’s allegations against Judge Kavanaugh don’t stack up.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mitche ... 1538519778

You seem uninterested in the the list lies Kavanaugh told UNDER OATH that's as long as your arm, but you're still fixated on Ford's flying. :roll:

Ask yourself why Mitchell was silenced after she started to question Kavanaugh, Frank. She wasn't there to get information, she was there to undermine the victim -- just like a prosecutor, which is what she does for a living!

Btw, every time women hear "he said/she said," it's going to be like waving a red cape in front of a bull. They know it's easy to chant "no corroborating evidence" if you refuse to interview those who are available -- and in some cases eager -- to corroborate what Dr. Ford alleges. But of course if you LIMIT THE FBI's INVESTIGATION TO EXCLUDE WOULD-BE WITNESSES, you can craft the perfect refutation you're looking for!

So keep chanting "no corroboration" and "he said/she said," Frank. That'll get women out to vote and assist Dems to win back the House AND the Senate in November!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Frank the Crank

Postby Frank the Crank » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:55 pm

Interesting....in his sworn statement Ford's ex boyfriend of six years accuses her of credit card fraud.
There's something amiss with Ms. Ford.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:25 am

Frank the Crank wrote:Interesting....in his sworn statement Ford's ex boyfriend of six years accuses her of credit card fraud.
There's something amiss with Ms. Ford.

You wish. B/c you're desperate, Frank. You're flailing like a drowning person for some way -- any way -- to ease your conscience about Ford's treatment at the hands of Republican misogynists.

Getting tougher with each passing day, isn't it?

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Frank the Crank

Postby Frank the Crank » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:21 am

After Ford and he split up she charged $600 on his credit card. He had to threaten legal action to get his money back.
I'd like to see Ford's explanation for that.

I’m grateful because Trump has not backed down in the face of the slipperiness, hypocrisy and dangerous standard-setting deployed by opponents of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court. I’m grateful because ferocious and even crass obstinacy has its uses in life, and never more so than in the face of sly moral bullying. I’m grateful because he’s a big fat hammer fending off a razor-sharp dagger.
Bret Stephens

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Frank the Crank wrote:After Ford and he split up she charged $600 on his credit card. He had to threaten legal action to get his money back.
I'd like to see Ford's explanation for that. . . .

To reply with a phrase you're so fond of chanting, Frank, there's no corroboration of any of the complaints listed in this anonymous disappointed lover's whiny bill of particulars against Ford.

The question is, why would he come forward with his allegations on Oct. 2, when the FBI was nearing conclusion of its cursory background check?

As can be plainly seen by anyone paying the slightest attention to what's revealed in his missive, the furious suitor answers that question himself: he says she cheated on him -- though he prefaces his rambling tell-all by stating that he and Ford were only "dating"; thus it appears the expectation of exclusivity was clearly one-sided.

He goes on to explain that they had been sharing the credit card -- with no problems reported until some time long after he'd decided to cut her off he noticed there was a $600 charge which he says was unauthorized. Well, maybe he should have made it clear to her and the credit card company that she was no longer an authorized user on the card, wouldn't you think? B/c if he had, she would not have been able to use the card, simple as that. But you're not about to apply logic, are you, Frank, when your aim -- and the "boyfriend"s -- is not to understand, but rather to smear Ford for all her wicked imagined female wiles. Believing as you do that women are out to destroy men.

Anyone can see that the "boyfiend" is a proxy for Kavanaugh here, and that Kavanaugh was the one done wrong. All it takes is a dash of chauvanistic perspective --

-Marie-

Frank the Crank

Postby Frank the Crank » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Ford will be shown to be a disreputable liar with mental health issues.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Frank the Crank wrote:Ford will be shown to be a disreputable liar with mental health issues.

Rather than speculate about Ford's future reputation, Frank, try and focus on the judge who's already shown himself to be a serial liar with drinking issues. You know -- the person who's the subject of the thread.

You've been deflecting from the consternation surrounding Kavanaugh's problematic nomination with everything you've got. :wink:

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Heidi Heitkamp voting NO in Kavanagh

Postby Marie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Here is Heidi Heitkamp's statement explaining why she will be voting AGAINST Kavanaugh's confirmation:

I WILL BE voting against confirming U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court. As I said after Judge Kavanaugh was nominated, and as I’ve continued to say throughout this process, I consider vetting nominees to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court as one of the most important jobs of any U.S. senator—and I take that job very seriously. That’s what North Dakotans expect of their senators, which is why I met with Judge Kavanaugh, closely watched his hearings, and reviewed his available record during this evaluation process—including the nonpartisan FBI investigation which I called for. After doing my due diligence and now that the record is apparently closed, I will vote against his confirmation.

We need to take politics out of the Supreme Court as much as possible, and it takes Republicans and Democrats in the Senate, the administration, and individuals around the country to help make that possible. We live in a very divisive time, but we can change that. Both sides horribly handled the process around this nomination. We must learn from these mistakes.

I voted for Justice Gorsuch because I felt his legal ability and temperament qualified him to serve on the Supreme Court. Judge Kavanaugh is different. When considering a lifetime appointment to Supreme Court, we must evaluate the totality of the circumstances and record before us. In addition to the concerns about his past conduct, last Thursday’s hearing called into question Judge Kavanaugh’s current temperament, honesty, and impartiality. These are critical traits for any nominee to serve on the highest court in our country.

There has been much public debate about Thursday’s hearing, and it has furthered a national discussion about stopping sexual assault that is long overdue and we must continue to have. I have spent much of my time in public service – including as North Dakota’s Attorney General – focused on combating domestic violence and protecting women and children from abuse. Our actions right now are a poignant signal to young girls and women across our country. I will continue to stand up for them.

When I served as North Dakota’s Attorney General, I helped implement the original Violence Against Women Act and I saw how it helped survivors and victims across my state. As a U.S. senator, the reauthorization of the law was the first bill I helped pass, and I insisted that it include increased protections for Native American women and girls. My lifetime of work, advocacy, and commitment to these issues, and to these women and girls, helped inform my decision today.

Dr. Ford gave heartfelt, credible, and persuasive testimony. It took great courage and also came at great personal cost. She had nothing to gain and everything to lose by coming forward with her deeply personal story. It was clear that she was testifying not because she wanted to, but because she felt it was her civic duty. When I listened to Dr. Ford testify, I heard the voices of women I have known throughout my life who have similar stories of sexual assault and abuse. Countless North Dakotans and others close to me have since reached out and told me their stories of being raped or sexually assaulted—and expressed the same anguish and fear. I’m in awe of their courage, too. Some of them reported their abuse at the time, but others said nothing until now. Survivors should be respected for having the strength to share what happened to them—even if a generation has since passed. They still feel the scars and suffer the trauma of abuse.

There are many extremely qualified candidates to serve on the Court. I’m ready to work with the President to confirm a nominee who is suited for the honor and distinction of serving this lifetime appointment.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

'THE SENATE MUST CONFIRM JUDGE KAVANAUGH TO THE U.S. SENATE NOW!'

Postby Marie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 pm

BREAKING.....

The Trump-Pence 2020 campaign has spoken in a campaign email petition:

Friend:

Judge Kavanaugh's name has been cleared for the SEVENTH TIME.

NO MORE GAMES. NO MORE EXCUSES.

THE SENATE MUST CONFIRM JUDGE KAVANAUGH TO THE U.S. SENATE NOW!

=D>

Sign the petition and they'll send it to the Senate for you!

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Collins, Murkowski, Manchin announce their decisions

Postby Marie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:15 pm

Joe Manchin was, as predicted, the last to weigh in. He was waiting for the last holdouts to announce their decisions, and he will thus be voting in favor of confirmation.

Lisa Murkowski's statements were extemporaneous and heartfelt. She expressed no opinion regarding the truth or falsity of Kavanaugh's testimony regarding sexual assault allegations, asserting instead that he's a good man, but the wrong selection for these times.

Susan Collins spoke for 50 minutes on the Senate floor, endeavoring to explain why she will be voting in favor of confirmation. I have to say, she would have made a superb litigator, as her closing argument to the jury (us) was air tight. I sensed not a whiff of cynicism in anything she said; to her, this is the way one reasons through such questions and she's comfortable with the conclusions reached. You just know she always does it this way and it always works for her.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:42 am

Image*
*Don't worry, dude -- this is all ABOUT you!

-Marie-

Frank the Crank

Postby Frank the Crank » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Democrats formerly the party of the working man are now the party of shrieking, insane women.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:50 pm

Frank the Crank wrote:Democrats formerly the party of the working man are now the party of shrieking, insane women.

That's about as bizarro a statement as anyone could come up with, but nice stab at *gaslighting, Frank.

*Gaslighting: manipulating someone (usually a woman) into ignoring her own perceptions in favor of someone else's (usually a man's). From the old film, and older play, set in Victorian times.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:30 am

And here, courtesy of SNL, is a perfect sendup of how tin-earred the GOP really is.

And SNL's take on the FBI's abbreviated Kavanaugh background check and suggestions
for what Trump should do with the $$$ he and his dad hid from the IRS --

The newly minted Justice is said to have taken the jabs with his usual good humor:

(Steam coming out of his ears, steam coming out of his... wherever...)

-Marie-

Return to “What Story Are YOU Talking About?”