'Dear Madam President' on C-SPAN's Book-TV

Anything Progressive, Radio or Television: Rachel Maddow, Randi Rhodes, The Daily Show ,The Colbert Report, Real Time, Bill Maher
Marie
Certified Fan

'Dear Madam President' on C-SPAN's Book-TV

Postby Marie » Wed May 02, 2018 4:06 am

This is such a great discussion, I hope everyone has the time to watch --
March 27, 2018

Book: Dear Madame President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
Author: Jennifer Palmieri

Former Hillary Clinton 2016 communications director Jennifer Palmieri shared her experiences and thoughts
on how future women leaders can succeed. She spoke with MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace.

Host of event: Barnes and Noble Upper West Side, 2289 Broadway, New York, NY

FULL VIDEO: https://www.c-span.org/video/?442186-2/ ... -president

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

StevenHW

Re: 'Dear Madam President' on C-SPAN's Book-TV

Postby StevenHW » Wed May 02, 2018 2:33 pm

I am reminded of the 2002 PBS-TV special called "If Women Ruled The World", which was a dinner party held in Washington DC back in 1999. It was hosted by Canadian Prime Minister (at the time) Kim Campbell, and featured a slew of prominent females. Among the attendants was Campbell; Betty Friedan, author of "The Feminine Mystique" and co-founder of the National Organization for Women; Sandra Day O’Connor, the first woman appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson; Eleanor Clift of Newsweek magazine; Elle magazine editor-in-chief Elaina Richardson; Lt. Gen. Claudia Kennedy, who retired in 2000 as the U.S. Army’s highest ranking female; and Wendy Shalit, the post-feminist author of "A Return to Modesty: Discovering the Lost Virtue."

For some reason, this gathering doesn't get more publicity and recognition nowadays. Maybe because there were no A-List show-biz celebrities. And as I recall, I don't think Hillary Clinton (who was the First Lady at the time when it was taped) was at the event.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/If+women+ruled+the+world%3A+A+Washington+dinner+party.+(Video+Updates+%26...-a0102979940

https://archive.org/details/womenruleworld99p1

https://archive.org/details/womenruleworld99p2

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: 'Dear Madam President' on C-SPAN's Book-TV

Postby Marie » Wed May 02, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks for the links, Steven!

Recently C-Span has been presenting (as always, without comment) archival materials from the early '70s dealing with the position of women in the mid-20th century post-Civil Rights era. That's where I saw the video in the OP yesterday, which was juxtaposed with the archival footage.

I vividly recall the excitement and optimism of the women's movement through my own involvement. My contributions being relatively minimal, still it was all around me and I was aware of the rapid increase in awareness regarding the issues confronted.

It's sad that we're losing much of the ground we had gained. However, the involvement of younger women in the current revitalized movement gives me hope that women may yet go beyond the dramatic strides toward equality which were achieved in the 1970s.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “Progressive Media”