Error # 680 .... No Dial Tone .... but I have one

Help With Anything technical Or Forum Related. Geek Squad on call.
ArmoredGhost
Certified Fan

Error # 680 .... No Dial Tone .... but I have one

Postby ArmoredGhost » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:04 pm

I seek computer advice.

The other night a severe thunderstorm formed right over the top of us and with a very bad lightening outbreak, the electric flickered .... only to find that the computer was unable to dial-up to get online again. I got two error messages .... #678 and #680. 678 basically states that the remote computer did not answer connection request. 680 is no dial tone detected. I've checked the wire from the phone jack and it's good. In fact, I am now typing this from the old computer on that same line. I've ran a diagnostic check to see if the modem was damaged. There's not been one message of any kind stating anything wrong with the modem. Everything else seems fine with the computer ... I just can't log online. It keeps giving me the #680 error message. Can anyone here give me any idea what may be the problem and what I need to do short of taking my computer to a mechanic. Thanks for all advice and suggestions.
------- Oh, the INSANITY!! -------

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Error # 680 .... No Dial Tone .... but I have one

Postby Marie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:11 pm

I assume you rebooted and nothing changed, right?

My husband suspects the modem or its driver may have been damaged if there was a surge. He advises reinstalling the modem software, and if that doesn't solve the problem, switching the modem to a computer that IS getting a dial tone, to test it. (No sense buying a new modem until you know if that one's still good or not.)

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “Forum Help”