What about this option to get Current? Does it work?

Help With Anything technical Or Forum Related. Geek Squad on call.
Marie
Certified Fan

What about this option to get Current? Does it work?

Postby Marie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:56 am

I found this site - satellitedirect.com - advertising software that supposedly enables you to watch cable channels via the Internet.

I've read reviews (which are always suspect) and scouted scam discussions, and the biggest complaint seems to be that you can't watch PREMIUM channels on it. But I'm thinking, since most of the people here, for example, said they had no problems streaming "free" channels, might it work for those who can't get Current on their cable systems?

I've never used it and I don't know what to think, so I'm running the idea past you guys. (If it successfully streams Current, though, I could get rid of U-Verse - which I hate because the reception stinks - go back to my old cable co., and watch Countdown online instead!)

Thoughts, pls?

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: What about this option to get Current? Does it work?

Postby Marie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:53 am

Michael wrote:See my previous link for ready TV

http://ready-tv.com/

The problem with these pirate sites is that they ARE pirate. who knows how long they last till they get shut down? If you have to pay for a subscription that is a problem.

I know, I tried Ready and it works -- tonight. But as we've all experienced, it's not realiable on acct of being chased off by copyright holders, so they have to lie low for a while and come back when it's safe. Until they get chased off again. Etc. Same w/ justin.tv.

That's why I'm asking what you all think about the above-referenced satellite thing. It's 50-dollars, I believe, for the software -- but if it works all the time and contains no malware, then mightn't it be worth the investment? (And if you pay w/ PayPal you can get your money back if it doesn't work. They are good abt that, in my experience.)

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Michael wrote:I don't think you understood my answer. That software is dependent on someone feeding the data to it. How long will that happen? A week? A month? A year? It is a total gamble. The satellite company will try to shut them down. Could be a total waste of $50 when they disappear in 30 days. . . .

Well, I haven't ordered it. As I said, don't know much about it or how they've kept going.

Same thing w/ Magic Jack - how do they stay in business, when it sounds for all intents & purposes like stealing phone svc? Maybe it's not. The technology mystifies me any more.

Anyway, guess I'll keep U-Verse for now. It stinks, though.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:40 am

Michael wrote:I don't had a landline phone either. . . .

Thank goodness we've got ours back. At least now it doesn't sound like we're trying to communicate with people across the street via Skype. That digital phone had the worst transmission ever. #-o

(Their cable TV is also fail. Optimal reception is within 3000 ft of the "gateway," right? Well, come to find out we're 4700 ft from the gateway. But they sold us the service anyway without telling us that, so half the time the people on TV sound like they're under water. Fortunately, it hasn't affected Current, or the box wd be lying out on the front lawn by now.)

-Marie-

Return to “Forum Help”