How can I view non-Roman characters on my computer?

Help With Anything technical Or Forum Related. Geek Squad on call.
Marie
Certified Fan

How can I view non-Roman characters on my computer?

Postby Marie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:05 am

I've been trying to read about the Japanese language but I'm being hampered by the fact that my browser won't display any characters except those consisting of or related to our familiar Roman alphabet. Any characters other than these always display as complex rectangles (unless they are incorporated into a graphic).

I tried to research this question on the Internet, but the only promising search link was to a Yahoo site, and I understand Yahoo has recently been reported (along w/ Fox News's site) as an excellent place to pick up malware, so I've been avoiding Yahoo.

I know that some of you speak languages which use characters other than the Roman alphabet, so I was hoping you could tell me what I need to turn on/install/other, to be able to view characters used in other writing systems properly.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: How can I view non-Roman characters on my computer?

Postby Marie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Michael wrote:You have to install the proper LANGUAGE PACKS.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
:grin:

Oh dear... I was afraid of that.

Thanks for the info, Michael. :-)

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “Forum Help”