Woman Rights in Afghanistan

Links to Other Websites and Blogs
jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Woman Rights in Afghanistan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:00 am

I did not really know where to post this topic, so I picked this just becaue I want people to know that the more things change, the more they stay the same. And because What Story Are You Talking About just has so many topics, or which are other issues. If this should go somewhere other than here, please move it, you won't hurt my feelings. :-(

HUMAN RIGHTS
1. Afghan Women's Uncertain Future

During yesterday's Afghanistan visit, President Obama talked of
progress. But as The Daily Beast's Ann Marlowe reports from the province
of Zabul, Mullah Omar's birthplace, many women still suffer under
customary law, which is as effective in imprisoning them in their homes
as the Taliban were. Few, if any, of the girls and women in Zabul are
able to take advantage of the freedoms nominally guaranteed by the
Afghan constitution. In the outlying districts, women have almost no
rights, are never seen in the streets, and have little access to medical
care.

The province of Zabul offers a contradictory—but realistic—window on the problems and opportunities facing the country.

Less than two months ago, a woman from the isolated valley of Arghandab died because her husband refused to allow her to be examined by the only medical provider nearby—a male U.S. Army medic. When the woman went into a labor with complications, Captain Derek Martin tried to convince her husband to allow her to be flown back to the provincial hospital. Although he argued his case for hours, Martin was ultimately unsuccessful. Her family loaded her on a donkey and set out for the provincial capital of Qalat. She died on the way.

The Taliban has deep roots in this south-central Pashtun province, often described as "Afghanistan's Appalachia" by the Americans. Mullah Omar was born here, and many Zabulis have family connections with the insurgency. For most women in Zabul, Pashtunwali—or customary law—is as effective in imprisoning them in their homes as the Taliban were.

Her family loaded her on a donkey and set out for the provincial capital of Qalat. She died on the way.
Few, if any, of the girls and women in Zabul are able to take advantage of the freedoms nominally guaranteed by the Afghan constitution. In the outlying districts, women have almost no rights, are never seen in the streets, and have little access to medical care. The former provincial minister of women's affairs was a man, and the new minister, a woman named Rajiba, lives in daily danger. At a meeting of prominent Zabul women, she casually mentioned that her office needed a higher fence and concertina wire. Anything to do with women is invariably an insurgent target.

The Afghan government ranks the province 33rd out of 34 according to various economic and social indicators. Governor Naseri, who has a doctorate, told me that perhaps 300 people in the province are truly literate—about 0.1 percent of the population.
Read it at The Daily Beast:
http://e.thedailybeast.com/a/tBM$k$bB7S ... Ut0J/dail1

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... $bB8WI3DdA
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power: Green Lantern’s Light.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Woman Rights in Afghanistan

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:15 am

They could all be doing so much better economically if they would liberate the women; just think of the time and energy required in keeping over half the population down.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:36 am

Marie wrote:They could all be doing so much better economically if they would liberate the women; just think of the time and energy required in keeping over half the population down.

-Marie-

No so much energy once you put the love (Rath) of Mohammed in them. When you scare someone enough you don't have to do a damn thing to keep them down, they do that themselves. The woman do whatever, just not to get beaten or killed!

The men there keep woman down because they know the woman are smart and they don't want the woman to show them up, of course they would lose face with the other abusive men. #-o

I think it was what about 30 some odd years ago that Afghanistan was a busy beaming city with woman going to school, working and going to University. I will have to go look up the story from a woman doctor who came to the US with her father when they had to run from their country, when it was taken over. She showed the pictures of the city and her home - you would not believe that that was Afghanistan. Flowers and clean building, a modern place to live. I was in awe, just looking at the pictures.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:08 am

This was a picture I found of the country back in the 60's.

2417289_A21015R.jpg
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

Return to “Other Places To Visit”