dnkoa

Hallelujah! I'm a bum

Postby dnkoa » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:37 pm

My Dad used to sing this song.

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Hallelujah! I'm a bum

Postby Marie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:27 pm

I only knew the title of that song before now. In reading more about it, I notice Pete Seeger recorded it! I would so love to see him on Countdown, if Keith would invite him!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dnkoa

Postby dnkoa » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:20 am

Considering how timely the lyrics are Im amazed that it hasnt had a resurgence.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:25 am

It must seem like deja vu all over again to people who lived thru the Great Depression and vets of the first world war, the forgotten men. I worry about that because FDR didn't initiate all those federal works programs out of a sense of compassion -- altho I have no doubt he felt for people who were down & out; he did it because society was about to unravel if all those men weren't given something to do. You hear them tell story after story about how it restored their dignity, gave them a sense of purpose again. That's what we need. Like in this song, there aren't enough kind women with odd jobs for these guys to do. They need real jobs and a steady income, before they become rootless and their kids become disaffected and lost.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “Music”