Regarding Oversized Headlines

Generally Lighter Fare--please put Politics in Politics and News in News. Things that don't fit in either of the above categories.
dejapig
Site Admin

Re: Regarding Oversized Headlines

Postby dejapig » Fri May 31, 2013 4:57 pm

The Icy Commander wrote:Here's the cover of today's New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/

Notice that all of the stories have a bolded and enlarged font in the titles ?
Do you believe there's anything odd about that ?
That's all I'm doing here, it's not a plot, or any attempt to do something underhanded, I'm simply posting stories with larger titles the way EVERYONE does on pretty much all message boards across the internet spectrum.
Why even offer the options of larger type, bold type, and even colored type, if everyone is going to have a hissy fit when it's used ?

The truth is it's because it's me doing it, and someone just wants to pick a fight.

I've already addressed all of your arguments for bold type headlines, but let me type them again more sloooooowly for you...

Your NY TIMES example has a half dozen different topics and articles on one page. The format of this forum already gives each topic its own headline in its own thread title, no additional emphasis is needed. It's clear to everyone here that you only post the most negative and contrary articles you can find and bold the headlines to sneer at the rest of us. I've already asked you to point out a single example where you posted something positive or in agreement with someone on any topic with those bolded headlines. Since you've failed to produce that single example, I'm going to conclude it doesn't exist. Therefore your motivation is obvious; it has nothing to do with clarification and everything to do with puerile attempts at 'gotcha.'

There is no hissy fit thrown over bold or colored when it's used to highlight something, but that isn't how or why you do it. Nobody fooled. You can throw all the hissy fits you want over being singled out, but you've been warned. Drama Queen. :roll:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

The Icy Commander
Grammar-impaired troll

Postby The Icy Commander » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Meanwhile EVERY time you open a magazine, newspaper, or webpage, all stories, articles etc. have headlines or titles that are in bold and of larger type.

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:29 pm

The Icy Commander wrote:Meanwhile EVERY time you open a magazine, newspaper, or webpage, all stories, articles etc. have headlines or titles that are in bold and of larger type.

Well, that's NOT us [-( ... So put a sock in it Icy. =;
" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Slfriend79 wrote:
The Icy Commander wrote:Meanwhile EVERY time you open a magazine, newspaper, or webpage, all stories, articles etc. have headlines or titles that are in bold and of larger type.

Well, that's NOT us [-( ... So put a sock in it Icy. =;

It's proportional to the body type they're using, as well. It's not the fricking Daily Planet (except for the really amateurish websites that don't know anything about layout and design).

It's the content of a headline that grabs attention -- not the type size.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:43 pm

If you're going to repeat your statements that have already been responded to, I'm just going to repeat my response...

I've already addressed all of your arguments for bold type headlines, but let me type them again more sloooooowly for you...

Your NY TIMES example has a half dozen different topics and articles on one page. The format of this forum already gives each topic its own headline in its own thread title, no additional emphasis is needed. It's clear to everyone here that you only post the most negative and contrary articles you can find and bold the headlines to sneer at the rest of us. I've already asked you to point out a single example where you posted something positive or in agreement with someone on any topic with those bolded headlines. Since you've failed to produce that single example, I'm going to conclude it doesn't exist. Therefore your motivation is obvious; it has nothing to do with clarification and everything to do with puerile attempts at 'gotcha.'

There is no hissy fit thrown over bold or colored when it's used to highlight something, but that isn't how or why you do it. Nobody fooled. You can throw all the hissy fits you want over being singled out, but you've been warned. Drama Queen. :roll:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

The Icy Commander
Grammar-impaired troll

Postby The Icy Commander » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Don't give me that "nobody fooled" crap.

As the administrator it must be hard for you to have to agree with the ones here that are all butt hurt about this, when you know perfectly well I am right.

If I were on the same side of the aisle politically here as the rest of you, nothing would have been said about this and you know it.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 pm

The Icy Commander wrote:If I were on the same side of the aisle politically here as the rest of you, nothing would have been said about this and you know it.

See the rightie head straight for the victimhood argument? The world OWES him a giant headline! :grin:

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:35 pm

The Icy Commander wrote:If I were on the same side of the aisle politically here as the rest of you, nothing would have been said about this and you know it.

BUZZ!!!! [-X WRONG!!!! [-(

I had to warn a progressive member about their oversized headlines, so GET OVER YOURSELF Icy. =;

If you are so keen to do oversized text, it's aloud in the lounge for wishing members Happy Birthday :party or in the holiday threads. :pilgrim
" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Slfriend79 wrote:

BUZZ!!!! [-X WRONG!!!! [-(

I had to warn a progressive member about their oversized headlines, so GET OVER YOURSELF Icy. =;

If you are so keen to do oversized text, it's aloud in the lounge for wishing members Happy Birthday :party or in the holiday threads. :pilgrim

And yelling 'KEITH IS COMING BACK TO TV!!!'

-Marie-

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:37 pm

The Icy Commander wrote:Don't give me that "nobody fooled" crap.

As the administrator it must be hard for you to have to agree with the ones here that are all butt hurt about this, when you know perfectly well I am right.

If I were on the same side of the aisle politically here as the rest of you, nothing would have been said about this and you know it.

As the administrator, I don't have to agree with anybody about anything. And you're still wrong! :lol:

Return to “The Lounge”