Sarah Palin Speaks Like A Toddler

Generally Lighter Fare--please put Politics in Politics and News in News. Things that don't fit in either of the above categories.
ArmoredGhost
Certified Fan

Sarah Palin Speaks Like A Toddler

Postby ArmoredGhost » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:19 pm

One thing for sure. Her voice cuts thru me like a knife. She screeches!!! I've always said that she puts me in mind of a giddy high schooler. To think that she was a mayor and gov after seeing just what she's really like just blows my mind. I thot I had seen it all when a Goober made it to the oval office, but up pops silly Sarah. To think ppl have voted for her..... that's even more embarrassing to admit that our nation has these kind of ignorant tools that we have in the good ole USofA. #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

http://www.mediaite.com/online/conclusi ... +(Mediaite)

Brave soul, linguist, and conservative political commentator John McWhorter attempts to answer the eternal question: What is Sarah Palin talking about?

Actually, it’s more like what version of the English language is Sarah Palin using, because it’s not one most of us are familiar with, as anyone who has been required to transcribe a Palin speech is painfully aware. McWhorter, however, sees a strange problem that goes far beyond Palin’s habit of being “folksy,” something that he finds little fault with. At one point he compares her language skills to that of a toddler.

Rather, Palin is given to meandering phraseology of a kind suggesting someone more commenting on impressions as they enter and leave her head rather than constructing insights about them. Or at least, insights that go beyond the bare-bones essentials of human cognition — an entity (i.e. something) and a predicate (i.e. something about it).
[...]
This reminds me of toddlers who speak from inside their own experience in a related way: they will come up to you and comment about something said by a neighbor you’ve never met, or recount to you the plot of an episode of a TV show they have no way of knowing you’ve ever heard of. Palin strings her words together as if she were doing it for herself — meanings float by, and she translates them into syntax in whatever way works, regardless of how other people making public statements do it.

McWhorter’s conclusion is especially damning…and not just to Palin:

As such, Sarah Palin can talk, basically, like a child and be lionized by a robust number of perfectly intelligent people as an avatar of American culture. And linguistically, let’s face it: she is.
------- Oh, the INSANITY!! -------

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Sarah Palin Speaks Like A Toddler

Postby Marie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:51 pm

It's true, that could explain why so many people can relate to her -- but it's also why she makes intelligent women, and feminists in particular, cringe. You work so hard to persuade men that women aren't ditzy little airheads, and then along comes this politician reintroducing and repopularizing the ditzy little airhead routine like she's Goldie Hawn on Laugh-In. I could just smack her. #-o

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

ArmoredGhost
Certified Fan

Postby ArmoredGhost » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Marie wrote:It's true, that could explain why so many people can relate to her -- but it's also why she makes intelligent women, and feminists in particular, cringe. You work so hard to persuade men that women aren't ditzy little airheads, and then along comes this politician reintroducing and repopularizing the ditzy little airhead routine like she's Goldie Hawn on Laugh-In. I could just smack her. #-o

-Marie-

You are absolutely correct Marie. This is the kind of stupidity that Plastic P promotes that saturates the spongy brain material clear across this nation. Sadly, we currently now have twin ditzes touring together... Plastic P and Bachmann. I adore attractive women, but these two are huge turnoffs for obvious reasons that you are aware of.

I'd give ya a $100 if you did smack Plastric P. Now all you need is 1000 pledges of those who'd do the same for you. :P =P~ :wink: My only hope is that you'd cleanly get away after you did the honorable deed.
=D>
------- Oh, the INSANITY!! -------

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:59 pm

No problem I know how to smack her and get away with it! She is just like a sister of mine. Mindless and selfish. She lives off of the rest of the family. The woman of this country have to call her out for what she is and then and only then will she back down. Some woman are just spoiled and she is one of them. Her dad could not control her so the woman of the country must! She craves attention, must be what is missing from her mother.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power: Green Lantern’s Light.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:47 am

ArmoredGhost wrote:One thing for sure. Her voice cuts thru me like a knife. She screeches!!! I've always said that she puts me in mind of a giddy high schooler. To think that she was a mayor and gov after seeing just what she's really like just blows my mind. I thot I had seen it all when a Goober made it to the oval office, but up pops silly Sarah. To think ppl have voted for her..... that's even more embarrassing to admit that our nation has these kind of ignorant tools that we have in the good ole USofA. #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

http://www.mediaite.com/online/conclusi ... +(Mediaite)

Brave soul, linguist, and conservative political commentator John McWhorter attempts to answer the eternal question: What is Sarah Palin talking about?

Actually, it’s more like what version of the English language is Sarah Palin using, because it’s not one most of us are familiar with, as anyone who has been required to transcribe a Palin speech is painfully aware. McWhorter, however, sees a strange problem that goes far beyond Palin’s habit of being “folksy,” something that he finds little fault with. At one point he compares her language skills to that of a toddler.

Rather, Palin is given to meandering phraseology of a kind suggesting someone more commenting on impressions as they enter and leave her head rather than constructing insights about them. Or at least, insights that go beyond the bare-bones essentials of human cognition — an entity (i.e. something) and a predicate (i.e. something about it).
[...]
This reminds me of toddlers who speak from inside their own experience in a related way: they will come up to you and comment about something said by a neighbor you’ve never met, or recount to you the plot of an episode of a TV show they have no way of knowing you’ve ever heard of. Palin strings her words together as if she were doing it for herself — meanings float by, and she translates them into syntax in whatever way works, regardless of how other people making public statements do it.

McWhorter’s conclusion is especially damning…and not just to Palin:

As such, Sarah Palin can talk, basically, like a child and be lionized by a robust number of perfectly intelligent people as an avatar of American culture. And linguistically, let’s face it: she is.

I can see Russia from my house! I see her as some sort of valley girl. You know, like, Ooo gag me with a spoon!
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power: Green Lantern’s Light.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

Return to “The Lounge”