MEAN & GREEN

Generally Lighter Fare--please put Politics in Politics and News in News. Things that don't fit in either of the above categories.
BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll

MEAN & GREEN

Postby BrooklynBilly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:39 pm

I find this to be especially true of morally exhibitionist Prius drivers.

Study Finds 'Green' Consumers Are Mean Consumers
Environment & The Green BeatSAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5) ―
Environmentally-friendly products.

According to a study published in the Journal of Physiological Science, being green makes you mean. Researchers found people who purchase eco-friendly "green" products are more likely to lie, cheat, and steal.

In the experiment, 156 college students were given money to spend on either green or traditional products. Then they were given opportunities to cheat, lie & steal, or share.

When, on the honor system, subjects were asked to take their earnings from an envelope, those socially-conscious green product buyers were 6-times more likely to steal. When given the opportunity to split some of their gifted money with someone else, those environmentally aware consumers didn't share.

Researches call the phenomenon the "halo of green consumerism." When people feel they've been morally virtuous, by saving the planet with their purchases, it leads to what physiologists call "moral balancing" or compensatory ethics. In other words, they've done something good, so now they don't have to be so good.

http://cbs5.com/environment/mean.green. ... 66898.html
Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: MEAN & GREEN

Postby Marie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:06 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:I find this to be especially true of morally exhibitionist Prius drivers.
Study Finds 'Green' Consumers Are Mean Consumers

According to a study published in the Journal of Physiological Science, being green makes you mean. Researchers found people who purchase eco-friendly "green" products are more likely to lie, cheat, and steal. . . .
First of all, the publication is called PSYCHOLOGICAL Science, not Journal of PHYSIOLOGICAL Science. And the title is, "Do Green Products Make Us Better People?"

Read the researchers' original report here: http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/20 ... 8.full.pdf

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll

Postby BrooklynBilly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:09 pm

I saw this item on last night's news. I believe it to be a true representation of mean greenies.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:13 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:I saw this item on last night's news. I believe it to be a true representation of mean greenies.
A usual, it's what you believe, not the facts that matter.

THEY GOT THE PUBLICATION WRONG, Billy, AND the discipline (psychology vs physiology) -- which means the "reporter" NEVER READ IT.

Yet you never questioned it because it flatters your prejudices.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll

Postby BrooklynBilly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Marie wrote:Yet you never questioned it because it flatters your prejudices.

-Marie-

Well, no shit Sherlock. Your pedantry is on full display. I posted it where I did because I find it kind of humerous and not all together serious.

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:31 pm

I think it's bullshit, but all I have is anecdotal evidence. I drive a hybrid, and it wouldn't even occur to me to lie, cheat, or steal as was done in the study.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:32 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:
Marie wrote:Yet you never questioned it because it flatters your prejudices.

-Marie-

Well, no shit Sherlock. Your pedantry is on full display. I posted it where I did because I find it kind of humerous and not all together serious.

:LMAO I am sorry but billys reaction back to Marie is just so hilarious.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:08 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:Your pedantry is on full display. . . .
You mean I LOOKED IT UP and showed you your teevee reporter garbled some FACTS.

Please take note, America. These are your news choices, according to Billy: sloppy reporting -- or conscientious "pedantry."

-Marie-

Return to “The Lounge”