Introduce yourself

Generally Lighter Fare--please put Politics in Politics and News in News. Things that don't fit in either of the above categories.
SusieQ
Site Admin

Introduce yourself

Postby SusieQ » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:59 am

If you would like to introduce yourself to the board, please feel free to do so! Welcome to all Newbies.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

dasib01

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby dasib01 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:13 am

lmao SusieQ..ok here goes:

Hi my name is Kevin... I'm a Capricorn...I love my dogs, my SHARKS, my wife and kids..the order is a toss-up..:lol:

I hate cats but believe in treating ALL animals humanely..

I despise people who:
1. Are able to but don't VOTE- the measure of any democracy is how it's people exercise this right as guarrenteed by the blood shed to provide it.
2. Trample on the US Constitution and/or the rights of others to speak with "civility" toward one another.
3. Bad-mouth our troops in any way; and
4. Argue/discuss a point/view without THE WHOLE truth of any issue...ignorance is no excuse.

I'm into solar power, own a Honda Hybrid and two gas-guzzling Chevy trucks and a Chevy Tahoe SUV...

The ONLY charity I give to is Children's hospital (Chicago)...breaks my heart to see children suffer/die from cancers when there are so many other deserving adults (like Hannity, Billo, and Ann Coulter) out there who have breathed long enough!

I drink single malt Scotch (Dailuaine) but drink a Bud every now and then..and almost NEVER get too "tipsy".

And every Christmas since I can remember I've asked Santa for real "peace on earth"..and every year humanity manages to screw it up...

Mule Skinner Blues

Postby Mule Skinner Blues » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 am

Welcome Aboard Kevin! :wave
"Rule 17: Don't turn your back on bears, men you have wronged or the dominant turkey during mating season."
- Dwight Schrute

dasib01

Postby dasib01 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:31 am

when they get back home Mule, we should hook up and go to a Sharks game, drink the $8 beers at the HP Pavillion, and ask ourselves why the hell none of the Sharks made the starting line-up for the All-Star game :lol:

misslindagene

Postby misslindagene » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi Kevin...now I know your real name.
Am with you 100% on your likes.
I lost a child and do think that Hannity, Orally and especially The Colt should have gone in her place.

Ok...no secret with name here.
My name is Linda Gene and am a Pisces
I am from Chicago (the home of the Obama and that bloggie guy)...but claim Greenville, Mississippi as my home.
Love the Cubs....but no longer say "wait til next year."
Loved the Bulls until Pippin left.
Can't say much about the Bears...and less about the Hawks.
Have a 35 year old son who had been with both the Corporate Division and Theater Division of Second City for over 10 years.
I am retired and love KO and enjoy this board...except for a few people.

Keyser Soze

Postby Keyser Soze » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:41 am

*waves*

Heya all...

This is Jackie, I'm from Sunny Southern California (specifically east LA County)...

I'm a bass player (5 years or so)

HUGE Iron Maiden fan

I've been a student of Wing Chun Kung Fu for nearly 8 months now (reached my level 3 sash last week! YAY! and OUCH!) @ a Traditional Wing Chun Academy in West LA (run by Sifu Eric Oram). The only time is NOW.

I've been lurking around this forum for a few years...

OK... ciao!
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Bruce Lee

misslindagene

Postby misslindagene » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi Jackie =;
Welcome. Your photo is lovely.

photoburn

Postby photoburn » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:12 am

Yay! I get to introduce myself.

I'm currently a photographer. I also play guitar. I can't keep a pair of socks for the life of me. (Today, I had one with gold toe and one without.) I have volunteered a lot in my life and stay active in my community. Last, but certainly not least, I like to pop bubble wrap.

--photoburn

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:40 am

photoburn wrote:Last, but certainly not least, I like to pop bubble wrap.

--photoburn
It's very satisfying. So satisfying that some enterprising people marketed bubble wrap as an executive toy!

Welcome, again. :-)

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

misslindagene

Postby misslindagene » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:38 am

Hi photoburn....My what beautiful eye you have! Could use some skin softener tho. But welcome anyway.

DARinPA

Postby DARinPA » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:26 pm

Okay. My name is Dar (Darlene) I am a 47 year old woman from Johnstown, PA. I am married (not my first) and have 2 grown children.
Hubby and I are avid bikers and yes, as corny as it seems, I am a karaoke addict. Our wedding reception was a karaoke reception and we have a set-up in our house so I don't even have to go to a bar to sing :lol: Also I paint and do needlepoint.
Oh and let's not forget my biggest hobby, politics!!
I got on the Obama bandwagon BEFORE he announced his candidacy. My husband and I besides making several small monetary contributions to his campaign, campaigned on the phones, door to door and we did outside security checking during Barack's appearance at the local high school. Yes, we met him and shook his hand. And may I say I have NEVER touched anyone's hand before that felt like velvet...no kidding, soft skin, but a firm handshake.
We worked on the campaign for almost 2 years. Election nite was unbelievable and I will always remember it. I always felt like an outsider in my political views, even when I was young, so when I first heard Barack talk about what he saw for our country, I actually said to my husband, "OMG, I've been waiting for this man all my political life."
Now I feel I have validation and then to come on the internet and find fellow lefty, outside the box thinkers just like you all.
I discovered this site yesterday, joined immediately and glad that I did.
I love my hometown but getting intelligent political coversation in this part is nothing short of a miracle. Talking to some of these people while campaigning for Obama, was the most frustrating things I have ever tried to do. ](*,)
Remeber during the end of the campaign when all those videos turned up on you tube about the crowds going to Palin rallies, and the horrible, racist and down right horrifying things they were saying? Remember those? I hate to admit this but almost ALL of those clips were taken of crowds attending Palin rallies in my home state Pennsylvania. And even worse is the worst one of those clips with the old guy holding a stuffed toy monkey with an Obama sign pinned to it. That was taken outside a rally held in Johnstown, my hometown. UGHHHH so you can see we had our work cut out for us.
I was raised as Italian workiing class. My parents pushed it into our heads from a young age that it is your right, honor and duty to vote.
When my italian born grandfather passed away they found out he had a bank safety deposit box and were very shocked by it. What could an italian immigrant who could not read or write (but spoke 3 languages) who worked 40 years in the coal mine and had 9 children possibly have in a safety deposit box.
His CITIZENSHIP papers. Yep that was all that was in that box. That made a HUGE impact on me at the age of 16. That's how important and proud he was that he was a legal citizen of the USA and all three of his surviving sons (including my falther) fought for this country in WWII and the Korean War.

And of course I LOVE KEITH, or I wouldn't have joined this board. THe first thing I do every morning when I wake is to turn on the computer and watch the previous night's show. I love that he dares to put the powers at be in their place. FIghting for what is right is never wrong, that is what Keith Olbermann has taught me.
Sorry I am rambling, but I felt to introduce myself to this board you should know my background and know where I am coming from.
I look forward to having many stimulating coversation with my fellow "lefties" and KO fans.

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Awesome intro, Dar! I'm glad you're here. The story about your grandfather's citizenship papers in the safe deposit box gave me goosebumps!
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

FreedomFries

Postby FreedomFries » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:53 pm

Hey, I never posted in this thread.

Hi. I'm Ken, and I'm from Seattle. My background is in criminal justice, video production and multimedia design. Don't ask me to explain how that happened. I'm currently unemployed, as I took most of last year off to take care of my mother while she underwent chemotherapy, and right as I was planning to go back to work the entire bottom fell out of the economy. So currently I'm working on some screenplays I've been meaning to finish forever and trying to find a job that actually requires my education, as opposed to taking a job away from some high school dropout.

I used to be a very principled anarchist who refuses to participate in politics (pre-Bush), now I'm a Democrat (post-Bush). I participate in the caucuses and everything. My ultimate goal is to see the Democrats once again become the dominant Establishment, as they were pre-Reagan, which I believe will lead to a resurgence in leftist activism and ultimately real progress. I would someday like to found a commune.

I taught English in Eastern Europe when I was in my twenties, and have traveled all over Europe, and find the idea that Barack Obama is going to turn America into a "European country" very exciting and promising, and hope him all the success in the world. Europe rocks.
"I was raised the old-fashioned way, with a stern set of moral principles: Never lie, cheat, steal or knowingly spread a venereal disease. Never speed up to hit a pedestrian or, of course, stop to kick a pedestrian who has already been hit. From which it followed, of course, that one would never ever vote Republican." - Barbara Ehrenreich

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Hey Ken! Glad to have you here. I hope things turned out well for your mother.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Two terrific intros! I loved reading both. Ken, I always wanted to write a screenplay. One screenwriter I admire very much is William Goldman. His Adventures in the Screen Trade is one of my favorite books. Dar, I didn't find your intro rambling at all -- in fact quite coherent. Isn't campaigning in hostile territory an adventure, LOL?

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “The Lounge”