KO: Wrath of Drumpf is turned on tenents who sell

Keith Olbermann related topics. This Forum combines all Olbermann threads from KeithOlbermann.Org. KO.O.
Marie
Certified Fan

KO: Wrath of Drumpf is turned on tenents who sell

Postby Marie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:46 pm

Derek Jeter and I know how it feels to incur Landlord Trump’s wrath
By Keith Olbermann
washingtonpost.com
April 12 2016

FOR A GUY WHO WANTS TO throw 11 million people out of his country, Donald Trump sure gets testy when one person moves out of one of his apartment buildings.

I’ve previously written that I just couldn’t take living under the same roof with Donnie’s ego and was moving out of my “Trump Palace” apartment and putting it up for sale. The Wall Street Journal has written up the story and Trump has deigned to comment.

“Mr. Trump said in an email that Mr. Olbermann ‘is just trying to use “Trump” to get publicity and stay relevant. The prices of Trump apartments are today, the highest they’ve been. When people find out he is leaving Trump Palace, prices will probably go up.’ ”

Sick burn, Don. I’ve already left. I’m selling the apartment now, so I’m hoping prices will go up. You sure showed me!

There’s a lot more in Trump’s statement that deserves parsing, but first, a more macro viewpoint: I’m hardly the first new ex-resident of Fortress Trump to incur the wrath of a man who sounds less like a Real Estate Super Genius and more like a jilted lover.

Early on the morning of Oct. 14, 2012, star shortstop Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees ranged to his left in pursuit of a ground ball, only to crumple to the ground. He had broken his ankle. The next day, Trump tweeted:

“Derek Jeter had a great career until 3 days ago when he sold his apartment at Trump World Tower -- I told him not to sell -- karma?”

Lest you’re thinking Trump couldn’t possibly be taking credit for/showing glee at an injury that would sideline one of baseball’s most popular players until the following July, five days later he tried to disabuse you of your common decency, tweeting:

“Derek Jeter broke ankle one day after he sold his apartment in Trump World Tower.”

Before and since, Trump has referred to Jeter as his friend, and there was that brief surreal moment (number 3,764 of this campaign) when the now-retired player’s name was floated as a potential vice president on a Trump Ticket. But make no mistake about it: In the week after Jeter broke his ankle in a gruesome, painful, public fashion, Trump was implying that it was somehow connected to Jeter selling his Trump apartment.

Now I have become Trump, the destroyer of ankles.

So maybe it’s just personal with Jeter? Nope. Eleven minutes after the first Jeter tweet, Trump went after Jeter’s then-teammate Alex Rodriguez for . . . you guessed it, leaving the warm destiny-designing confines of Trumpland:

“A-Rod was a great player when he lived at Trump Park Avenue -- even though he was on the juice!”

And some people think Donald Trump isn’t emotionally grounded enough to be commander-in-chief!

So I guess I’m lucky. He hasn’t claimed I tore my rotator cuff because I decided to leave the church of Trump, merely that I’m “trying to use ‘Trump’ to get publicity.” Which I am somehow doing by trying to get as far away from Trump as possible -- physically, morally and real-estatedly.

I do feel I should note that the customary reference to himself in the third person is now presented inside quotation marks, but as to the meaning of that I will defer to psychological professionals until we figure out what the hell is going on.

There is one final gem inside Trump’s paragraph that merits brief analysis: the bit about how “the prices of Trump apartments are today, the highest they’ve been.” To steal from a different political context, this is one of the great non-denial denials. Trump is trying to imply the term “prices” means what the apartments are actually selling for, not what the owners are asking for. I could just as easily claim that the price of Keith Olbermann Apartments are today the highest they’ve been! And just their average price alone is setting an Olbermann real estate record!

But in case he really means “cash paid,” Trump may regret that latest throwaway boast. Highest prices ever for Trump Apartments? Which ones? You’ll find plenty of Trumpian bargains in Chicago. Still plenty of time to throw money down the 11-year-old rathole that is the unbuilt Trump Tower Tampa. And the Hollywood Reporter says prices right at the heart of the Trump empire -- New York’s Trump Tower -- are down.

Maybe Trump means the apartments he owns. The New York real estate site Curbed says Trump has sold two of his own condos since last summer, for a combined $16.8 million less than the original asking prices.

And then there’s the poor guy who tried to sell his penthouse at the Trump compound nearest the United Nations for $20 million. He then cut the ask to $17.95 million. Finally he sold for $15.5 million. This was in October 2012. That poor sucker’s name was Derek Jeter. Given that adjusting for inflation he lost about 9 percent of his original investment, he must have felt as bad as if he’d broken his ankle or something.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... page/story

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: KO: Wrath of Drumpf is turned on tenents who sell

Postby Marie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:31 pm

More, from the Hollywood Reporter:
Olbermann lists condo, rips Trump
By Peter Flax
4/13/2016

FIVE WEEKS AFTER AANOUNCING that he no longer was comfortable living in a building owned by Donald Trump, Keith Olbermann has formally listed his three-bedroom New York condo in Trump Place for sale. Unit 40B, a 1,746-square-foot condo with two and a half bathrooms, a recently updated chef’s kitchen and a 60-square-foot terrace (and two other outdoor spaces) is listed for $3.9 million.

The Hollywood Reporter reached the sports anchor-turned-political commentator as he rode the 7 train to Wednesday’s New York Mets game, and he described his feelings about the listing in one word: "relief."

“When Trump started going off the rails five or six years ago, I started to protest by denouncing him in commentaries I actually filmed in his own buildings,” says Olbermann. “That was sufficient for a while. But that was just no longer enough when it became a presidential campaign of demagoguery, so I had to take it to the next step.”

As happy as he might be to take that step, Olbermann is likely to lose money on the transaction. According to public records displayed on Zillow.com, the condo was last sold in April 2007 for $4.2 million. There presently are 13 units for sale in the building, located in New York City’s Upper East side, with an average time on market of 131 days.

The listing touts the unit’s spectacular views, with exposures to the north, south and east. Olberman says you can see about two-thirds of Central Park and eight of the city’s nine major bridges. “On a clear day, you can see big freighters on the Atlantic off Coney Island,” he says. “And there’s a sweet spot in the living room where if you look left, you see Yankee Stadium and if you look straight, you see the lights of Citi Field.

"Other than that, it’s pretty run of the mill." [ :lol: ]

When asked who he imagines buying his condo, Olbermann turns down his rhetoric for a moment. “I’m not judging anyone who doesn’t get out of his buildings, nor anyone who moves in,” he says. “This was just a personal moral choice. You want it? Go nuts!”

Regarding that personal moral choice: Olbermann took his feelings about Trump’s political rhetoric very public in March when he announced his decision to move with an op-ed in the Washington Post, writing, “I’m getting out because of the degree to which the very name 'Trump' has degraded the public discourse and the nation itself.” He later told the Wall Street Journal that he would have happily stayed “if they had changed the name to something more positive, like Ebola Palace.”

Olbermann declined to cite a favorite personal moment from his years in the building. “I’m both relieved and a little sad to be leaving,” he says. “The staffers there are and were my friends, and I’ll miss their generosity and efforts.” He pauses. “But it still feels like a jailbreak.”

With the New York primary less than a week away, Olbermann was happy to take a swipe at his soon-to-be former landlord. “Even if he does lose 70-30 -- a distinct possibility -- electorally, there may be nothing left of him but his bronzer,” he says. “The damage he’s going to do to the national psyche could be irreparable. He’s opening a Pandora’s box of hate, the way George Wallace did.”

Olbermann continues, “However all this ends, when it does, he’s not going to be welcome in New York. And on a personal level, from just his public comments, it’s been pretty clear he needs professional help. I hope he seeks it.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/o ... ce=twitter

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “Keith Olbermann”