"BASEBALL NERD" & KO-related BASEBALL material

Keith Olbermann related topics. This Forum combines all Olbermann threads from KeithOlbermann.Org. KO.O.
Marie
Certified Fan

Re: "BASEBALL NERD" & KO-related BASEBALL material

Postby Marie » Tue May 20, 2014 8:33 pm

Keith's idea of heaven -- he hasn't had to shave for 4 days! :grin:

"55 and I are both 55. Hard to [believe] we've known each other 30 years.
#Bulldog #Hershiser #CardNerds #Dodgers
http://moby.to/sphe50 "

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue May 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Meanwhile (we'll probably hear about this in Worst Persons tomorrow):
ALBUQUERQUE ISOTOPE [AAA team] catcher Miguel Olivo bit off part of teammate Alex Guerrero's ear during an altercation between the two players at Tuesday's Isotopes game, Guerrero's agent Scott Boras said.

According to Boras, Olivo first punched Guerrero, then apparently after having his arms restrained by others in the Iosotopes' dugout, took a bite out of the ear of Guerrero. One other person who spoke to Isotopes personnel said a part of the ear actually fell to the dugout floor, and had to be reattached surgically.

A police report was taken regarding the incident, and the Dodgers have said they are also investigating. . . .

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon ... agent-says

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:36 pm

On the untimely death of a Hall of Famer, Keith cites an article he wrote for Sports Illustrated in 1998 --
A bright memory on this sad day: the late Tony Gwynn putting me in my place in a piece I wrote for SI in 1998: http://j.mp/1uyaRxs

-Marie-

Kal Zakath

Postby Kal Zakath » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:18 pm

I was a huge Tony Gwynn fan, and all my guys around here were all about Boggs, Mattingly, and Strawberry in the 80s. I can only imagine how huge a draw he would have been if he had played on the East Coast. He was the kind of person, though, who probably wouldn't have cared - just would have gone along playing the game the way it should be, and treating everyone with extreme care and politeness.

There are an awful lot of young players right now who really need a Tony Gwynn right now to show them how the game is supposed to be played - and how to be a real man - rather than the false (or not so false) bravado that so many of today's young players have....

I started missing him when he retired, now there's a huge hole in my soul...

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:51 pm

You make a good point, Kal -- one I'm sure Keith would agree with. The game is rife with cynicism and awash with money, but what's missing are the elements which made baseball America's pastime. No doubt we'll hear Keith speak this evening about what Gwynn brought to the game.

-Marie-

Kal Zakath

Postby Kal Zakath » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks Marie -

I almost cringe when I see the attitudes of some of the guys coming up today - the Machado's, the Gomez', etc. who seem to come to the stadium almost looking for a fight. I don't remember Gwynn ever initiating anything. If he got hit, he didn't take it personally, he just trundled (later years) down to first and had the same smile on his face he had when he came into the dugout after hitting a home run.

Maybe we'll get a new crop of guys coming through who respect the game and those who play it the way he did, but I'm not sure I'll still be alive to see that.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:18 pm

Kal Zakath wrote:Thanks Marie -

I almost cringe when I see the attitudes of some of the guys coming up today - the Machado's, the Gomez', etc. who seem to come to the stadium almost looking for a fight. I don't remember Gwynn ever initiating anything. If he got hit, he didn't take it personally, he just trundled (later years) down to first and had the same smile on his face he had when he came into the dugout after hitting a home run.

Maybe we'll get a new crop of guys coming through who respect the game and those who play it the way he did, but I'm not sure I'll still be alive to see that.

Yeah, it scares me when, as Keith would say, so-and-so "wears one" -- in other words, one player gets hit with a ball. And then the two players glare at each other.

Especially when the hit was intentional, it's a miracle it doesn't turn into a hockey fight! :shock:

If Keith has any influence, I'm sure he'll use it to try and bring back that respect you speak of. He speaks nostalgically of it, too.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:46 pm

Twittizen Carl Carson posted this photo he took of Tony Gwynn hitting the moon --

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:45 pm

¿Cómo idolatran los aficionados de al legendario tony gwynn? que la foto sea la respuesta. (How fans idolize the legendary tony gwynn? the photo is the answer.)
https://twitter.com/LosPadres/status/478746073389756417

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 am

From the sports blog AwfulAnnouncing, a question that has occurred to a lot of people:
Why doesn’t ESPN use Keith Olbermann in their baseball coverage?
By Steve Lepore
AwfulAnnouncing
Jul 21, 2014

IF YOU FOLLOW enough ESPN baseball people on Twitter, you’ll know that the network often puts on what they refer to as the “seamhead” edition of Baseball Tonight. This version of the show features baseball writers from throughout the ESPN universe -- Tim Kurkjian, Buster Olney, Jayson Stark, Keith Law and Grantland’s Jonah Keri are showcased -- and airs on Thursdays. It’s a show the network can be proud of because it allows them to show off what a destination the ESPN media platforms are for relevant baseball coverage.

Yet, perhaps the biggest “seamhead” in the history of Bristol has no involvement at all in the network’s baseball programming.

One of the more slyly hilarious things about Keith Olbermann’s eponymous ESPN2 program -- which hits its one-year anniversary in a few weeks -- is how it is basically an excuse for Olbermann to talk about baseball whenever he wants. This is a good thing because no one is more passionate and obsessed with a subject than Keith is about Major League Baseball. Even when other sports share the spotlight in April and October, it’s very hard for anything to top a Cardinals-Dodgers game in his highlights segments.

Olbermann maintains a normal connection to the American pastime through his all too fleeting work with TBS. This past postseason (and the one coming up in October) will see Keith hosting the network’s postseason studio show. It was extremely well liked last year, and other than Pedro Martinez being amazing, Olbermann was likely the biggest reason why.

Doesn’t this seem a little counterintuitive to The Worldwide Leader? Yes, Olbermann is an asset to the network, something ESPN can point to by saying it’s extremely credible, well-written, and consistently beats Fox Sports 1 and NBCSN in its timeslot. Shouldn’t Olbermann (the human, not the television show) be an asset himself?

Since Keith’s been on the network, he’s been used sparingly to deliver essays on SportsCenter and… that’s more or less it. It still strikes me as more than a little strange that ESPN lets one of its most knowledgeable baseball people do a show that is baseball-heavy for most of the season, and then… lets him go to another network for two weeks to lap up critical praise for covering baseball.

Now, there are perhaps contractual reasons, logistical reasons, or it-being-Keith-Olbermann-and-ESPN reasons. But here’s my pitch to ESPN, for next year if not this one: why not, at the very least, let Keith contribute to the “seamhead” edition of Baseball Tonight (from his studio in New York, don’t worry Keith, no Bristol for you) while letting him occasionally work on-site for Sunday Night Baseball as the show continues to go on the road? Especially as the network gains a Wild Card playoff this season, seems like a wasted opportunity. . . .

Of course, I could be way wrong on this. Maybe Olbermann has no interest in doing any of these baseball shows and maybe ESPN has no interest in him participating. Still, when you think about it, shouldn’t the man who can talk to and about some of the greatest players in the game’s history be able to talk about them with the rest of the network’s baseball staff?

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/why-doe ... l-coverage

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:07 pm

From ESPN's Michael Kay --
In honor of Vin Scully coming back for his 66th year, lets throwback 10 years.
Me, Mr. Scully and Keith Olbermann
https://twitter.com/RealMichaelKay/stat ... 94/photo/1

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:28 pm

With Giants mgr Bruce Bochy --

(referring to head size) "Earth's gravitational pull was altered just slightly." :lol:

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/stat ... 1472792576

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:16 am

The Internet Baseball Writers Association of America is trying to recruit KO --
https://twitter.com/IBWAA/status/532046241786388480

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:04 am

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Earlier in Keith's career: Babe Dahlgren discusses how he felt replacing Lou Gehrig --

-Marie-

Return to “Keith Olbermann”