President Obama's accomplishments so far

The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men. (Plato)
Slfriend79
Site Admin

Re: President Obama's accomplishments so far

Postby Slfriend79 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:22 am

Marie wrote:Image

Let the GOP/Teabagger whining commence in 3, 2, 1.... Because you know they will. :roll:

"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:27 pm

Husted overruled:

A federal judge has ordered Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted to allow in-person early voting on the three days before Election Day.

The ruling, explains Jackie Borchardt of the Northeast Ohio Media Group, stems from a successful court challenge made by President Barack Obama's re-election campaign.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:59 pm

In a historic move, President Obama today announced plans to improve relations with Cuba. We will soon see a Cuban Embassy in this country as well as its U. S. counterpart in Cuba. =D>

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

AaronCT

Postby AaronCT » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Imagine how great a vacation destination Cuba would make.
"Overcome the angry by non-anger; overcome the wicked by goodness; overcome the miser by generosity; overcome the liar by truth." ~The Buddha

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." ~Mark Twain

Badmojo

Postby Badmojo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:48 pm

AaronCT wrote:Imagine how great a vacation destination Cuba would make.

5 years from now it will look exactly like St. Thomas.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:46 am

I sometimes order things from Great Britain and I've noticed how much stronger the dollar is against the British pound lately. During the GWBush years, I always planned on paying 200% in dollars what the listed price was in pounds.

Now it's hovering around 150% of the listed price -- like in the 1990s! Way better!

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:41 am

Normalization of relations w/ Cuba nearly complete. =D>
Cubans hail removal from US list of state terrorism sponsors
AP
April 15, 2015

Cuban officials and ordinary citizens alike hailed the island's removal from the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism, saying the move by President Barack Obama heals a decades-old insult to national pride and clears the way to swiftly restore diplomatic relations.

"The Cuban government recognizes the president of the United States' just decision to take Cuba off a list in which it should never have been included," Josefina Vidal, Cuba's top diplomat for U.S. affairs, said Tuesday night.

Cuban and U.S. foreign-policy experts said the two governments appeared to have taken a major leap toward the reopening of embassies in Havana and Washington after four months of complex and occasionally frustrating negotiations.

"This is important because it speaks to Obama's desire to keep moving forward," said Esteban Morales, a political science professor at the University of Havana. "Now there are no political obstacles. What remains are organizational and technical problems, which can be resolved."

MORE: http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world ... 58467.html

PS, this CBS radio affiliate in NY seems to have gotten pretty excited when they heard -- :lol:

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun May 10, 2015 5:36 pm

U.S. Unemployment remains at multi-year low as employers continue adding more jobs

http://nycity.today/content/281587-us-u ... -more-jobs

Thanks, President Obama!

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Obama tightens gun rules thru exec order

Postby Marie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:51 pm

From Reuters:
Obama makes new push to tighten gun rules
By Roberta Rampton and Ayesha Rascoe
Reuters
1/5/2015

WIPING BACK TEARS as he remembered children who died in a mass shooting, President Barack Obama on Tuesday described new steps he is taking to tighten gun rules and urged Americans to vote for candidates willing to do more to prevent gun violence.

As Obama delivered a powerful address in the White House, surrounded by family members of people killed in shootings, his voice rose to a yell as he said the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms need to be balanced by the right to worship, gather peacefully and live their lives.

Obama has often said his toughest time in office was grappling with the December 2012 massacre of 20 children and six adults at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. "Every time I think about those kids, it gets me mad," Obama said, tears rolling down his cheek. "That changed me, that day," he said, after being introduced by Mark Barden, whose 7-year-old son was killed in the shooting. "My hope earnestly has been that it would change the country."

After that tragedy, the Democratic president failed to persuade Congress to toughen U.S. gun laws. He has blamed lawmakers for being in the thrall of the powerful National Rifle Association gun lobby group.

The stocks of gunmakers Smith & Wesson Holding Corp and Sturm Ruger & Co Inc have climbed since the announcement. On Tuesday, Smith & Wesson jumped 12 percent to $26.10 a share and Sturm Ruger was up nearly 7 percent at $65.62.

Obama acknowledged that laws won't change during his remaining year in office, but said he will continue to raise the issue in the time he has left.

The U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment gives Americans the right to have arms, a right that is fiercely defended. Obama laid out executive action he is taking to require more gun sellers to get licenses and more gun buyers to undergo background checks. Under the changes, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is issuing guidelines intended to narrow exceptions to a system that requires sellers to check with the Federal Bureau of Investigation to determine whether buyers have criminal records, are charged with crimes or have mental health conditions that would bar them from owning a gun. . . .

Legal challenges to the changes, which are contained in guidance from the ATF, are expected. The crucial question in any direct legal challenge will be whether the ATF guidance creates new obligations, or merely clarifies existing law. The more the Obama administration acts as though the guidance has created a new legal requirement, the more legal trouble it might invite, said Lisa Heinzerling, administrative law professor at Georgetown University.

Republican leaders were quick to denounce Obama's gun changes, with most Republican candidates for the 2016 presidential race promising to reverse his actions if they win the White House. . . .

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-o ... UQ20160105

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

12-million new Obamacare enrollees

Postby Marie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:13 am

12-million new Obamacare enrollees --

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/12- ... 80b2457abf

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

The president speaking in Cuba right now, after the Brussels attack

Postby Marie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:21 am

The speech was already scheduled, but this is a weird juxtaposition: one man trying to open up one society while another group is trying its best to shut all the rest down... :-(

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

There's no 'war on police'; police deaths have FALLEN w/Obama in ofc

Postby Marie » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Cable news creates a perception of a 'war on police," but facts show just the opposite --

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:35 pm

We don't need to "make America great again" -- it's already pretty great!

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Biggest household income gain in decades!

Postby Marie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:50 am

Thanks, Obama! =D>

(And you did it all WITHOUT the help of Republicans. Just think how much further ahead we'd be if you'd had a bit of cooperation!!!)

U.S. household incomes soared in 2015, recording biggest gain in decades
By Jim Tankersley
The Washington Post
9/13/2016

MIDDLE-CLASS AMERICANS and the poor in 2015 enjoyed their best year of economic improvement in decades, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, a spike that broke a long streak of disappointment for American workers but did not fully repair the damage inflicted by the Great Recession.

Median household income stood at $56,500 in 2015, ­inflation-adjusted, up from $53,700 in 2014. That 5.2 percent increase was the largest since the bureau started tracking the statistic in 1967.

Incomes increased across racial and ethnic groups as well as for both men and women. The gender pay gap narrowed to a record low, with women working full-time earning 80 cents for every dollar that men earn. In addition, the poverty rate fell by 1.2 percentage points, the steepest decline since 1968. There were 43.1 million Americans in poverty for the year, 3.5 million fewer than in 2014.

The share of Americans who lack health insurance continued a years-long decline, falling 1.3 percentage points, to 9.1 percent.

The data represents the clearest evidence to date that the nation’s long, slow and topsy-turvy economic recovery has finally begun to deliver prosperity for wide swaths of workers. A combination of forces fueled the gains, including an improving job market, low inflation and rising wages -- particularly for low-earning workers who may have benefited from state and local initiatives to boost minimum wages.

At the same time, the Census Bureau report underscored deepening fissures across the country, as some groups of Americans are left behind.

MORE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:01 pm

Return to “Politics”