Kavanaugh: SCOTUS hearing surrounded by controversy

News you want to discuss. Threads should start with a reference or fact. Straight opinion is better housed in "The Lounge" below.

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Kavanaugh: SCOTUS hearing surrounded by controversy

Postby Marie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Here's what Dr. Ford is up against.....

Senators with hardening arteries and hearts to match.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 pm

Randy Rainbow says, "When they go low, we go Lerner and Loewe!"

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:20 am

MEANWHILE...
Fox News is reporting that Republicans on the J-Cmte have spoken by phone to 2 men who believe Dr. Ford mistook one of them for Kav at that party back in HS.

I'm thinking the FBI is going to be mightily ticked if they don't get a shot at investigating that one!

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

'Waddaya mean by beligerance?' he replied beligerantly

Postby Marie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:43 pm

Kavanaugh channeling Donald Trump today at the hearing.

-Marie-

Frank the Crank

Postby Frank the Crank » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:00 pm

I’m encouraging all my California friends to vote for Kevin deLeon in November. I imagine if enough Republicans did that they could send that miserable, lying hag to an old folks home where she belongs.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Frank the Crank wrote:[unwarranted insult to Diane Feinstein]

You're not contributing anything worthwhile to the dialog, troll.

PS, your darling may not make it, He melted down this afternoon.

Must be all that past debauchery catching up with him, he's starting to look like the picture of Dorian Gray. #NoPortraitInTheAtticFoBrett

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Senate J-Cmte vote concludes - with conditions

Postby Marie » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Official announcement from the Senate J-Cmte:

The committee will request the White House to instruct the FBI to investigate allegations by Dr. Christine Ford and others.

As I understand, the probe will take place over one week's time prior to a vote on Kavanaugh by the full Senate.

UPDATE: The White House agrees. Trump's statement:
“I have ordered the FBI to conduct a supplemental investigation to update Judge Kavanaugh’s file. As the Senate has requested, this update must be limited in scope and completed in less than one week.”

-Marie-

Frank the Crank

Postby Frank the Crank » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:42 pm

On August 7th Christine Ford was in Maryland being polygraphed in the company of Feinstein recommend lawyers. At that time she was also talking to the Washington Post. These actions belie her supposed interest in remaining anonymous. What we have is a cleverly crafted ambush timed to inflict maximum damage with Ford a willing participant.
I believe Christine Ford is a sociopath.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:01 am

Frank the Crank wrote:I believe Christine Ford is a sociopath.

That word "sociopath": it doesn't mean what you think it means, Frank. If you understood what a sociopath is, you'd recognize the striking similarity between a classic sociopath and the current occupant of the oval office. Symptom 1: ZERO EMPATHY. Symptom 2: has no friends, only associates b/c of Symptom 1. Symptom 3: He considers people as objects to be acknowledged only if they can do something for him.

Trump epitomizes Symptoms 1 thru 3; by contrast, Dr. Ford?-- farthest personality from sociopathy.

-Marie-

Frank the Crank

Postby Frank the Crank » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 am

Bret Stephens in today's NYT:

What happened Thursday should not prevent Kavanaugh’s confirmation. Senators are within their rights to vote against the nomination out of philosophical differences. But to vote on the basis of a belief in things unseen and unproved is a road to national ruin.

And if suspicion based on allegation — even or especially “believable” allegations — becomes a sufficient basis for disqualification, it will create overpowering political incentives to discover, produce or manufacture allegations in the hopes that something sticks.

You can read the whole thing here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/28/opin ... lieve.html

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:02 pm

Frank the Crank wrote:Bret Stephens in today's NYT:
What happened Thursday should not prevent Kavanaugh’s confirmation. Senators are within their rights to vote against the nomination out of philosophical differences. But to vote on the basis of a belief in things unseen and unproved is a road to national ruin.

And if suspicion based on allegation — even or especially “believable” allegations — becomes a sufficient basis for disqualification, it will create overpowering political incentives to discover, produce or manufacture allegations in the hopes that something sticks.

You can read the whole thing here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/28/opin ... lieve.html

I hope you saw what Stephens said about Ted Cruz, Frank; I posted it elsewhere in the form about a week ago. And that pretty much was based on Stephens' impressions of what a creepy character Cruz is -- not facts and figures.

As to the judge, he lies about stuff that nobody even asked him about, never mind all the preposterous explanations he's given to direct questions about his past!

Kavanaugh's not a good choice, based on the behavior I've witnessed. His assertion that "I liked beer" is an understatement from someone whose documented aspiration in HS was to drink a whole keg.

The brewery industry thanks Kav for his full-throated endorsement, tho. :wink:

-Marie-

Frank the Crank

Postby Frank the Crank » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Worth noting is that Christine Ford lied about fear of flying. She also lied about her front door stating that in 2012 while in therapy with her husband she wanted an expanded door because of her claustrophobia. The door in question was installed in 2008 and had nothing to do with any phobia.
I don't think any of her recollections are worth believing.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Frank the Crank wrote:Worth noting is that Christine Ford lied about fear of flying. She also lied about her front door stating that in 2012 while in therapy with her husband she wanted an expanded door because of her claustrophobia. The door in question was installed in 2008 and had nothing to do with any phobia.
I don't think any of her recollections are worth believing.

I don't know about that door, but there's no mistaking the effects of that attack on Dr. Ford's life, since she had to seek counseling (which was at a time when Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court was just a gleam in the radical right-wing's eye). Having experienced something similar myself on two separate occasions, I can relate to her descripion of the impact.

As to flying, the man who inspired this forum himself hates flying and avoids it when possible -- but still sucks it up and gets on a plane when his job requires it. Thousands of people face down their fears in order to be able to accomplish all kinds of things -- for example, testifying in front of a bunch of senators with mid-Victorian attitudes and knowing that neither they nor 1/3 of the country have any interest in even trying to understand what they've been through.

With your unenlightened comments here, you've clearly placed yourself among that 1/3, Frank.

-Marie-

Frank the Crank

Postby Frank the Crank » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:08 am

According to an ex boyfriend Ford lied about her knowledge of polygraphs. The little lies keep piling up probably leading to a big lie.

Return to “What Story Are YOU Talking About?”