October Jobs Report

News you want to discuss. Threads should start with a reference or fact. Straight opinion is better housed in "The Lounge" below.
User avatar
AaronCT
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:00 am
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

October Jobs Report

Postby AaronCT » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:25 am

To be released at 8:30 this morning. Don't be surprised if the unemployment rate goes up. Also don't be surprised if all the people crying conspiracy last month jump all over the jobs report this month.
"Overcome the angry by non-anger; overcome the wicked by goodness; overcome the miser by generosity; overcome the liar by truth." ~The Buddha

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." ~Mark Twain

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31856
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby Marie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 am

You're right about the unemployment rate going up, but I was surprised by the explanation of why. It's b/c employers have begun hiring more now, so if you're actively seeking work, you get counted among the unemployed! So in this case, it's a POSITIVE sign.
Job growth, unemployment rate rise in October, as workers re-enter labor force
Washington Post
Nov. 2, 2012
BUSINESSES PICKED UP their pace of hiring in October and the unemployment rate rose as more people started looking for work, according to new government data that offer a glimmer of optimism for the long-ailing job market on the eve of the presidential election. . . .

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image

User avatar
The Icy Commander
Grammar-impaired troll
Posts: 2399
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:01 am
Location: Oregon

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby The Icy Commander » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:19 pm

After four years the unemployment rate is now officially higher than when Obama took office.
You just have to let the person or persons who are in charge go when a bottom line is not improved.

Also, since the media who are carrying Baracks water will spin this into a positive, look for the rate to now increase further as people get duped into believing there are more jobs and try to re-enter the work force.

1WILD1
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby 1WILD1 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Well Icy, I work for Union Pacific railroad and they have been in a hiring frenzy since early summer.
Union Pacific also reported record profits....again.
Union Pacific is largely UNION.
So much for that poor bottom line and Unions crushing businesses.
The economy has bounced back but yet you continue to ignore it. Why?

User avatar
SusieQ
Site Admin
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby SusieQ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:34 pm

You are just so full of crap, Icy. Of course a rightie troll would spin the report to fit his own fantasy world perceptions, and then also blame the media for being on Obama's side, when that could be farthest from the truth. My own daughter, who graduated in 2009 from college, just got two job offers in the span of one week. Career jobs with top notch pay. She also got a bunch of interview requests. Someone who works with head hunters told a friend of hers that the jobs available have increased three fold. You can continue to hope it is bad just so you can justify your dislike of President Obama. Don't let the fact that the economy really is getting better interfere with your perceptions. I love your idea that we should let the person in charge go when he is trying to fix the mess that people you put in charge before made, and now you want those people to take charge again..........
WILD.....He ignores it because he is does not support this country, he only supports his party.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt


Image

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31856
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:01 am

The election is over, and look, everyone!-- the number is STILL GOING DOWN.

Jobless rate edges down to lowest level in 4 years
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/busin ... .html?_r=0

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll
Posts: 5223
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:45 am

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby BrooklynBilly » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 am

The numbers for October and September were also lowered.

Morici: Unemployment Rate Falls: More Quit Looking

Published: Friday, 7 Dec 2012 | 10:10 AM ET
By: Peter Morici
Professor, Smith School of Business, University of Maryland


The economy added 146,000 jobs in November, up a bit from 138,000 in October.

Unemployment fell to 7.7 percent, largely because 542,000 additional adults chose not to look for work.

Hurricane Sandy and business fears regarding the "fiscal cliff" contributed to the slow pace of jobs creation; however, the overall picture is worse than these headline figures reveal and will remain difficult until the policy fundamentals change.

In the weakest recovery since the Great Depression, most of the reduction in unemployment from its 10.0 percent peak in October 2009 has been accomplished through a significant drop in the percentage of adults working or looking for work. Were adult labor-force participation the same today, the unemployment rate would be 9.7 percent.


More here: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100289926
Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31856
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Why do you keep implying that that the figure was calculated differently for this president?

Everyone knows that those who have given up looking for work have always been excluded from the number, regardless of whose presidency it was.

Nobody fooled, Billy.

It keeps getting better out there, much to your sorrow. :lol:

Jobless rate edges down to lowest level in 4 years
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/busin ... .html?_r=0

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image

User avatar
The Icy Commander
Grammar-impaired troll
Posts: 2399
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:01 am
Location: Oregon

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby The Icy Commander » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 pm

I don't consider another 350,000 people dropping out of the job force as "better".

Economists cautioned that this bit of seeming good news was the result of a shrinking labor force, rather than the addition of jobs.


DOH ! #-o

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/busin ... .html?_r=0

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31856
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:09 pm

The Icy Commander wrote:I don't consider another 350,000 people dropping out of the job force as "better". . . .

The point is, Icy, "better" is measured the same regardless of the current administration, and employment's going the opposite direction now than it was under W.

Righties are just gonna have to suck on that good news.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image

User avatar
proudliberal
Posts: 3547
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Deep Red South, but hopefully not for long.

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby proudliberal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:45 pm

I do expect a bit of an up-tick in the unemployment rate after the holidays, as many places have hired seasonal help. I'm sure this will make Billy, Icy, and their rightwing buddies happy, and they'll probably be spouting their "I told you Obama would fail" mantra at that point. However, the jobs reports have been pretty good recently. Now if Billy, Icy, and their ilk were genuinely concerned about the unemployment rate, they'd be all over the Repubs in Congress to pass Obama's jobs bill that's been waiting to be brought to the House floor for a vote. Somehow, I don't expect them to kick up much of a fuss about it, though.
Necessity is the mother of invention. We don't know who the father is, because Necessity gets around alot.

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll
Posts: 5223
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:45 am

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby BrooklynBilly » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:26 pm

proudliberal wrote:I do expect a bit of an up-tick in the unemployment rate after the holidays, as many places have hired seasonal help. I'm sure this will make Billy, Icy, and their rightwing buddies happy, and they'll probably be spouting their "I told you Obama would fail" mantra at that point. However, the jobs reports have been pretty good recently. Now if Billy, Icy, and their ilk were genuinely concerned about the unemployment rate, they'd be all over the Repubs in Congress to pass Obama's jobs bill that's been waiting to be brought to the House floor for a vote. Somehow, I don't expect them to kick up much of a fuss about it, though.


I take no joy in reporting bad news I seek only to inform you of the fecklessness of the current White House inhabitant.
Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet

User avatar
proudliberal
Posts: 3547
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Deep Red South, but hopefully not for long.

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby proudliberal » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:07 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:
proudliberal wrote:I do expect a bit of an up-tick in the unemployment rate after the holidays, as many places have hired seasonal help. I'm sure this will make Billy, Icy, and their rightwing buddies happy, and they'll probably be spouting their "I told you Obama would fail" mantra at that point. However, the jobs reports have been pretty good recently. Now if Billy, Icy, and their ilk were genuinely concerned about the unemployment rate, they'd be all over the Repubs in Congress to pass Obama's jobs bill that's been waiting to be brought to the House floor for a vote. Somehow, I don't expect them to kick up much of a fuss about it, though.


I take no joy in reporting bad news I seek only to inform you of the fecklessness of the current White House inhabitant.


Bullshit, Billy! Everytime there's any bad news under this current administration, you revel in it. Just like your fellow Tea Party buddies, you'd rather see this country fail than to see Obama succeed.
Necessity is the mother of invention. We don't know who the father is, because Necessity gets around alot.

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll
Posts: 5223
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:45 am

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby BrooklynBilly » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:53 pm

proudliberal wrote:
BrooklynBilly wrote:
proudliberal wrote:I do expect a bit of an up-tick in the unemployment rate after the holidays, as many places have hired seasonal help. I'm sure this will make Billy, Icy, and their rightwing buddies happy, and they'll probably be spouting their "I told you Obama would fail" mantra at that point. However, the jobs reports have been pretty good recently. Now if Billy, Icy, and their ilk were genuinely concerned about the unemployment rate, they'd be all over the Repubs in Congress to pass Obama's jobs bill that's been waiting to be brought to the House floor for a vote. Somehow, I don't expect them to kick up much of a fuss about it, though.


I take no joy in reporting bad news I seek only to inform you of the fecklessness of the current White House inhabitant.


Bullshit, Billy! Everytime there's any bad news under this current administration, you revel in it. Just like your fellow Tea Party buddies, you'd rather see this country fail than to see Obama succeed.


That's not true, I simply want to bring a little realism to this Democrat fantasy world. . As for Obama, I believe he's a total fraud who knows how to give a decent speech and that he's in way over his head.
Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet

User avatar
Marie
Certified Fan
Posts: 31856
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: October Jobs Report

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:21 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:
proudliberal wrote:
BrooklynBilly wrote:I take no joy in reporting bad news I seek only to inform you of the fecklessness of the current White House inhabitant.

Bullshit, Billy! Everytime there's any bad news under this current administration, you revel in it. Just like your fellow Tea Party buddies, you'd rather see this country fail than to see Obama succeed.

That's not true, I simply want to bring a little realism to this Democrat fantasy world. . . .

Let me add my voice to anyone else's calling bullshit on you, Billy. When we look for realism, "faith-based" fact-challenged righties are not the people to whom we turn for clear thinking.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012


Image


Return to “What Story Are YOU Talking About?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests