Scary-borough's comments prompt management memo

News you want to discuss. Threads should start with a reference or fact. Straight opinion is better housed in "The Lounge" below.
Marie
Certified Fan

Scary-borough's comments prompt management memo

Postby Marie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:50 am

Hey, Morning Joe, Phil Griffin doesn't like your mouth.
Phil Griffin's Memo To MSNBC Talent: Stop Fighting With Each Other
By Danny Shea
The Huffington Post
1-23-10

ON THE HEELS of yet another public incident between his anchors, MSNBC president Phil Griffin reined in his talent in a staff memo Friday afternoon.

Griffin sent a memo, obtained by the Huffington Post, to network talent and executive producers clamping down on infighting within the network.

"We have many strong personalities with differing, passionate opinions, but it is important to remember that we are all on the same team," Griffin said in the memo. "I want to reiterate my long-standing policy: We do not publicly criticize our colleagues. This kind of behavior is unprofessional and will not be tolerated."

Earlier this week, Morning Joe host Joe Scarborough blasted Keith Olbermann on Twitter for his comments that Scott Brown is "an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, tea-bagging supporter of violence against women and against politicians with whom he disagrees."

"How reckless and how sad," Scarborough said on Twitter, comparing Olbermann to Glenn Beck. . . .

"Let me be clear," Griffin said in Friday's memo. "I encourage you to keep doing what you do best. Give the viewers your perspective and a vigorous debate on the issues they care about. But do not turn substantive differences into personal ones."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/2 ... view=print

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Re: Scary-borough's comments prompt management memo

Postby jwolfbauer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:34 am

Marie wrote:Hey, Morning Joe, Phil Griffin doesn't like your mouth.
Phil Griffin's Memo To MSNBC Talent: Stop Fighting With Each Other
By Danny Shea
The Huffington Post
1-23-10

ON THE HEELS of yet another public incident between his anchors, MSNBC president Phil Griffin reined in his talent in a staff memo Friday afternoon.

Griffin sent a memo, obtained by the Huffington Post, to network talent and executive producers clamping down on infighting within the network.

"We have many strong personalities with differing, passionate opinions, but it is important to remember that we are all on the same team," Griffin said in the memo. "I want to reiterate my long-standing policy: We do not publicly criticize our colleagues. This kind of behavior is unprofessional and will not be tolerated."

Earlier this week, Morning Joe host Joe Scarborough blasted Keith Olbermann on Twitter for his comments that Scott Brown is "an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, tea-bagging supporter of violence against women and against politicians with whom he disagrees."

"How reckless and how sad," Scarborough said on Twitter, comparing Olbermann to Glenn Beck. . . .

"Let me be clear," Griffin said in Friday's memo. "I encourage you to keep doing what you do best. Give the viewers your perspective and a vigorous debate on the issues they care about. But do not turn substantive differences into personal ones."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/2 ... view=print

-Marie-

How well put. I like Joe but sometimes he has to have that last word. Anyway I would take a bullet for Keith. I'm glad he has the balls to speak up against abuse against woman in any form. Thanks Keith for all woman and especially those of us who have been there. =D> =D>
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power: Green Lantern’s Light.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Michael wrote:So it is a FORMAL policy. Seriously, Pat Buchanan has said some pretty outrageous things and Keith doesn't "notice" them... whereas if O'Reilly passes gas, Keith is right on it. :lol:
Not only that -- management keeps urging him to do MORE of it!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll

Postby BrooklynBilly » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:37 pm

I think Jon Stewart showed that phony charge to be a theatrical fabrication.
Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet

BrooklynBilly
Forum's Senior Troll

Postby BrooklynBilly » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Philbert wrote:
BrooklynBilly wrote:I think Jon Stewart showed that phony charge to be a theatrical fabrication.

Nonsense. Stewart showed hjow Olbermann is guilty of exaggeration, not of being wrong.

Because we all know he's not. Brown is exactly what he's charged with being. Keith just used crappy examples and was too hyperbolic in his presentation. Nobody lied.

Until the channel was changed to FOX.

Prove it!
Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:57 pm

BrooklynBilly wrote:I think Jon Stewart showed that phony charge to be a theatrical fabrication.
The topic of this thread is the corporate memo chastising Joe for what he said about Keith. I can understand why you'd like to change the subject, but Joe got put in his place on no uncertain terms.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Joe got chewed out face-to-face as well.

-Marie-

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Marie wrote:
The topic of this thread is the corporate memo chastising Joe for what he said about Keith. I can understand why you'd like to change the subject, but Joe got put in his place on no uncertain terms.

-Marie-

No I don't think Keith will say anything, if he does it will be just something funny. I don't think Keith gives a damn. He might say it in private but not in public.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:36 am

jwolfbauer wrote:
Marie wrote:. . . Joe got put in his place on no uncertain terms.

-Marie-
No I don't think Keith will say anything, if he does it will be just something funny. I don't think Keith gives a damn. He might say it in private but not in public.
In fact Keith gave his opinion ONLY after Griffin came to him and asked him if he thought what Joe did deserved punishment.

Keith said no, and Joe apologized (to Griffin! :x ) So instead of suspending him, Griffin decided to put out the memo reiterating the company policy. (He should have ended it with "... AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, JOE!"
Griffin responds to TVNewser, "An important rule was broken. I spoke to Keith and he said in the spirit of teamwork and the free flow of ideas, he didn't think it warranted punishment or suspension.

I also talked to Joe and he apologized to me," said the MSNBC president, adding, "That's why I made the decision that this didn't rise to the level of punishment, but I felt it was necessary to reiterate my long-standing policy."
Griffin approached Keith as if he were another manager. How often does an employee get to rule on whether another employee gets suspended or not?!

-Marie-

MrsData

Postby MrsData » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:26 am

If Joe was an actual adult, he'd actually approach Keith in private instead of being passive aggressive by either complaining on his show or online. It's immature because high school girls act like that, he's supposed to be a grown man but he doesn't act like it. It's unprofessional, he's on the same network, they're coworkers not competitors. Keith waited until Tucker Carlson went to Fox to go after him.

This is the second time he's done this and the first time was unprovoked when he was arguing with David Shuster about waterboarding. Before that Keith had never said anything about Joe. He reached his tipping point at the DNC but has said nothing since then.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Philbert wrote:Olbermann has no political ambitions himself but I have thought he might want to be the next NBC news anchor. . . .
That was a stated goal of Keith's about 6 years ago, when he was still considered a straight news guy. It would be more difficult for him to make that transition now because of the more recent identity he's acquired.

That's what I meant, some months ago, when I said that rebranding MSNBC as "the place for politics" was good for MSNBC and good for Keith's bank account in the short term -- but that it was taking him farther and farther away from his previously stated longterm goals, which require political neutrality.

-Marie-

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Marie wrote:
Philbert wrote:Olbermann has no political ambitions himself but I have thought he might want to be the next NBC news anchor. . . .
That was a stated goal of Keith's about 6 years ago, when he was still considered a straight news guy. It would be more difficult for him to make that transition now because of the more recent identity he's acquired.

That's what I meant, some months ago, when I said that rebranding MSNBC as "the place for politics" was good for MSNBC and good for Keith's bank account in the short term -- but that it was taking him farther and farther away from his previously stated longterm goals, which require political neutrality.

-Marie-

Well do you guys think that Joe is looking for a place at the table with Scott Brown? Scott Brown will be running, as sure as day is light, and maybe Joe thinks he can run on Brown's coat tails. Scott Brown is the only Rep. with the charisma to run and maybe win. :-(
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:17 pm

jwolfbauer wrote:Well do you guys think that Joe is looking for a place at the table with Scott Brown? Scott Brown will be running, as sure as day is light, and maybe Joe thinks he can run on Brown's coat tails. Scott Brown is the only Rep. with the charisma to run and maybe win. :-(
Remember he was defeated after 2 terms as a US rep.

Joe's got some things in his past that are sure to come up if he tries to run for even higher office. There's that matter of the dead intern discovered alone in his FLA district office...

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Michael wrote:
jwolfbauer wrote:Well do you guys think that Joe is looking for a place at the table with Scott Brown? Scott Brown will be running, as sure as day is light, and maybe Joe thinks he can run on Brown's coat tails. Scott Brown is the only Rep. with the charisma to run and maybe win. :-(
Governor of Florida. Scarborough is from Florida, and Governor Crist is probably gay.

He will say the dead intern is old news and refuse to discuss it.
That won't prevent others -- particularly righties who see him as not conservative enough, not to mention "contaminated" by his association with MSNBC -- from concocting scenarios around the incident.

These days conservative bloggers punish you for refusing to talk about what they want to talk about by answering the question for you, and then challenging you to show them where their suppositions are wrong. Eventually those suppositions bubble up into the MSM, who feel they must cover these pressing questions because "they are out there."

-Marie-

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:50 pm

Marie wrote:
Michael wrote:
Governor of Florida. Scarborough is from Florida, and Governor Crist is probably gay.

He will say the dead intern is old news and refuse to discuss it.
That won't prevent others -- particularly righties who see him as not conservative enough, not to mention "contaminated" by his association with MSNBC -- from concocting scenarios around the incident.

These days conservative bloggers punish you for refusing to talk about what they want to talk about by answering the question for you, and then challenging you to show them where their suppositions are wrong. Eventually those suppositions bubble up into the MSM, who feel they must cover these pressing questions because "they are out there."

-Marie-

Joe may not get on the short list, but I don't think that would stop him. Besides the Rep. are disparate. Brown could always pick Palin to run with him. Then the Dems would be a shoo-in!
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:57 pm

jwolfbauer wrote:
Marie wrote:
Michael wrote:He will say the dead intern is old news and refuse to discuss it.

-Marie-
Joe may not get on the short list, but I don't think that would stop him. Besides the Rep. are disparate. Brown could always pick Palin to run with him. . . .
For president??? :-s
Well, bigger long shots have been taken. (And stranger nominees chosen! :wink: <-- Goin' Palin)

-Marie-

Return to “What Story Are YOU Talking About?”