Let's face it: Facebook is creepy

News you want to discuss. Threads should start with a reference or fact. Straight opinion is better housed in "The Lounge" below.
Marie
Certified Fan

Let's face it: Facebook is creepy

Postby Marie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:56 pm

I never signed up with Facebook because of early reports that they were uninterested in security. More recently have come revelations that they turned a blind eye to Russian incursions during the 2016 presidential election.

Now, as if Facebook doesn't have enough to answer for, today I'm reading that they allow electronic age discrimination in their want ads. (I wouldn't be surprised if they admired the technology behind it, regardless of its effect.)

Excerpted from an article at Potnter.org:
Technology-driven age discrimination lawsuits . . . are becoming commonplace. In December, a class action was filed on behalf of the Communications Workers of America and Facebook users over 40, after it was revealed that major employers used age targeting to display recruitment ads on Facebook. One of the ads, for employment opportunities at T-Mobile, was only visible to 18- to 35-year-olds. Another, for Facebook, could only be seen by 21- to 55-year-olds.

“Like many technologies in the modern economy, Facebook has an unfathomable capacity to make workers aware of economic opportunities, such as jobs,” the plaintiff’s lawyers wrote. They continued: “Facebook has turned its powerful ad program into a conduit for age discrimination; and now Plaintiffs have found that national employers have coordinated with Facebook to exclude an enormous portion of the American labor force from receiving job ads, recruitment, and hiring opportunities. . . .”

https://www.poynter.org/news/not-so-hot ... -employers

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Re: Let's face it: Facebook is creepy

Postby Slfriend79 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:36 pm

I will NEVER join FaceBook. :x
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:21 pm

It's ugly, too. Cramped and rigid, the most unattractive format I've ever seen. That should have been enough to drive people away.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

RealInfoseek
Lesser Troll

Cambridge Analytica

Postby RealInfoseek » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 pm

This most certainly isn't your average ad mill, bank, or strategics. This Cambridge Analytica sounds like some bleeding edge behavioral science founded to exploit Facebook.

I guess the future bolts for good old fashion dino forums and admins.

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Cambridge Analytica

Postby Marie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:45 pm

RealInfoseek wrote:This most certainly isn't your average ad mill, bank, or strategics. This Cambridge Analytica sounds like some bleeding edge behavioral science founded to exploit Facebook.

I guess the future bolts for good old fashion dino forums and admins.

You could do a lot worse than good old fashioned forums & admins! :wink:

Btw, the Cambridge Analytica experience is exhibit A why ppl shouldn't be too detailed when posting public profiles on social media.

-Marie-

RealInfoseek
Lesser Troll

Postby RealInfoseek » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 pm

There's very little you can do to avoid this sort of illegal exploitation. This is the whistle blower?

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Cambridge Analytica

Postby Marie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:41 pm

RealInfoseek wrote:. . . This is the whistle blower?

Granted, the guy is weird; but would you feel better about it if the news were brought to you by Mother Teresa tweeting from the Great Beyond?

-Marie-

RealInfoseek
Lesser Troll

Postby RealInfoseek » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:33 pm

RealInfoseek
Lesser Troll

Postby RealInfoseek » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 pm

I wonder what kind of ramification this will have among governments around the world.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:51 pm

RealInfoseek wrote:I wonder what kind of ramification this will have among governments around the world.

Governments around the world have been a lot more aware of CA's activities than we have, and aren't allergic to regulation like we are. Consequently, they've made more progress toward controlling such companies' depredations than we have.

Forewarned is supposed to be forearmed -- unless one is determined to remain ignorant.

-Marie-

RealInfoseek
Lesser Troll

Postby RealInfoseek » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm

You might be right. It is a little strange that we didn't hear Putin complain about Facebook during his self reappointment. Are you also saying People's Republic of China is smart to keep facebook and google out?

RealInfoseek
Lesser Troll

Top Russia probe Republican: 'No intention' of calling Cambridge Analytica officials back

Postby RealInfoseek » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:25 pm

Top Russia probe Republican: 'No intention' of calling Cambridge Analytica officials back

Do you think the current majority of alternative cons in congress was achieved through CA?

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: Top Russia probe Republican: 'No intention' of calling Cambridge Analytica officials back

Postby Marie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:01 pm

RealInfoseek wrote:Top Russia probe Republican: 'No intention' of calling Cambridge Analytica officials back

Do you think the current majority of alternative cons in congress was achieved through CA?

I don't know who else used them, but if any did, I'd say it's a good bet. Microtargeting was a big feature of CA's success, along with dissemination of false information, and people are so credulous and unsuspecting -- even in these times. Go figure.

-Marie-

Return to “What Story Are YOU Talking About?”