The Silence Breakers: Times person(s) of the year

News you want to discuss. Threads should start with a reference or fact. Straight opinion is better housed in "The Lounge" below.
Marie
Certified Fan

The Silence Breakers: Times person(s) of the year

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Let's see how long this "movement" (nowadays everything's a movement) lasts. Flavor of the month -- it's only been a month since Weinstein scandal broke -- or real, lasting societal change?

We shall see. I'm always hopeful, yet old enough to have seen these flashes of enlightenment come and go like the last fashion craze. Plus, remember Mao's 500 flowers turned out to be a way to smoke out the malcontents, and then off with their heads.

Keep your powder dry, girls.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

AaronCT

Re: The Silence Breakers: Times person(s) of the year

Postby AaronCT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:24 am

Unfortunately I think this is another situation where people at the extremes (both left and right but not necessarily in equal amounts) will end up marginalizing those at the center and ultimately politicizing something that should transcend politics.
"Overcome the angry by non-anger; overcome the wicked by goodness; overcome the miser by generosity; overcome the liar by truth." ~The Buddha

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." ~Mark Twain

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:29 pm

AaronCT wrote:Unfortunately I think this is another situation where people at the extremes (both left and right but not necessarily in equal amounts) will end up marginalizing those at the center and ultimately politicizing something that should transcend politics.

Driven by the need to create an appearance, rather than a just society.

If you think about it, it's really a testament to their forebearance that women don't just haul off and shoot men who threaten their safety and their livelihoods; after all, that's what men would do.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dnkoa

Postby dnkoa » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:56 pm

That Taylor Swift is on the cover as a representative says it all: she talks like a feminist every now and then when it suits her, particularly when she has an album out, but doesn't dare stick her neck out politically. I admire the sentiment, but I fear this is bread and circus for the left, just as the right has its War on Christmas. That what's really happening is that TV, mags, and websites are making lots of money running with tabloid level gossip and sleaze, and a bunch of showbiz bigwigs are playing musical chairs (rotating out old bastards they wanted to get rid of anyway) and releasing a bunch of sanctimonious corporate spin. So long as we have a sexual harasser in chief, these are symbolic proxy wars. There needs to be a focused effort to have people registered to vote and vote D up and down the ballot.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:10 am

dnkoa wrote:That Taylor Swift is on the cover as a representative says it all: she talks like a feminist every now and then when it suits her, particularly when she has an album out, but doesn't dare stick her neck out politically. I admire the sentiment, but I fear this is bread and circus for the left, just as the right has its War on Christmas. That what's really happening is that TV, mags, and websites are making lots of money running with tabloid level gossip and sleaze, and a bunch of showbiz bigwigs are playing musical chairs (rotating out old bastards they wanted to get rid of anyway) and releasing a bunch of sanctimonious corporate spin. So long as we have a sexual harasser in chief, these are symbolic proxy wars. There needs to be a focused effort to have people registered to vote and vote D up and down the ballot.

When will they ever learn? Every election I hope for overwhelming turnout. If they had 2016 to do over again, do you think they'd move heaven and earth to get to the polls this time? (In Alabama it's being reported that African Americans -- with all they have at stake -- may stay home on Tuesday b/c Jones doesn't "excite" them.)

-Marie-

Return to “What Story Are YOU Talking About?”