Certified Fan

"BandAid for a Broken System": 4th Free Clinic in KC on W&Th

Postby Marie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:30 pm

GIANT FREE CLINIC AT BARTLE HALL: BAND-AID FOR A BROKEN SYSTEM
By CJ Janovy
The Pitch, Kansas City
Village Voice Media Group
Dec. 7, 2009

THE MASSIVE free health clinic movement inspired by MSNBC's fuming Keith Olbermann, TV doc Mehmet Oz and the unconscionable fact of 47 million uninsured Americans comes to Kansas City this week.

On Wednesday and Thursday, Bartle Hall becomes the fourth site of a giant event put on by the National Association of Free Clinics. The organization's first such event, on September 26 in Houston, drew 1,700 patients; more than a thousand people sought medical care in New Orleans on November 14 and in Little Rock on November 21. Those were one-day clinics; Kansas City's will be two days, December 9 and 10.

"We've seen people who had not gotten care in five to 10 years get care, and hopefully they will be healthier as a result of that," says Sheri Wood, executive director of the Kansas City Free Health Clinic and president of the NAFC.

"Some of the people we saw had pretty extensive problems. In Little Rock, in one hour, we sent five people to an emergency room -- it had been really calm most of the day, and then it was just bam, bam, bam, bam, bam. They really needed care and had not gotten it."

Which is great. God bless our country's free clinics. Big thanks to Oz, for underwriting the Houston clinic, and to Olbermann, who devoted his August 3 Countdown to a "Special Comment" that ended with a plea for viewers to give money to the NAFC. Wood says her organization wasn't expecting that, but it immediately raised more than $1.5 million.

More: http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2009/12/nat ... _event.php

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Re: "BandAid for a Broken System": 4th Free Clinic in KC on W&Th

Postby jwolfbauer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:33 am

Thanks to Keith - There is also the free clinic in Chicago, IL. They have been there for a while and they have a PA there that is just wonderful, her name is Nicole Carson. Link is: oclinic@att.net. Anyone who needs the clinic, even if you don't live in Chicago, you can call and make an appointment:
Community Clinic
4008 W Addison St.
Chicago, IL 60641
773-427-0298

I first heard of this clinic when Brian Williams did a piece on them last summer.
Also staffed with MD's. I was there and they are just the most delightful people helping everyone they can. =D> =D> =D> =D>
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power: Green Lantern’s Light.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

Keen4Keith

Postby Keen4Keith » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:51 pm

It may be a band-aid but people need it desparately, and every time I hear Keith say how "we" paid for it I feel a surge of pride.
(Reminds self to send in monthly donation)! =;

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:17 pm

Me too, it makes me feel proud to be a part of it, Karen!

They have a camera on at the free clinic all day if you want to see (no audio).

Lots of people sitting in the waiting area, and I like the way there's adequate space for the clients to have privacy when they're being examined:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp ... 9#34363759

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:13 pm

The video is not working. :-(
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Slfriend79 wrote:The video is not working. :-(
It still works good for me, SL. Here's what you'd be seeing right this minute:

-Marie-

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:29 am

I just posted this letter to the President. Please email the President telling him he should donate his nobel money to the free clinics. If we are not going to march on Congress, we should march into the Whitehouse with millions of emails, letting the President know that we are serious about the public option.

Mr. President, I think that your Nobel price money should go to the Free Clinics. Just a suggestion.

If the public option is not in the Health Care Bill, I see free clinics everywhere, and lines and lines of people. This will be shown to the whole world; we do not take care of our own. When all of these free clinics start showing up in every state, they will be putting the insurance companies out of business, which will lay off thousands and thousands of more people in the US. The Stock Market will crash! And rightfully so. [-( [-(
In brightest day,
In blackest night,
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy."- MLK Jr.
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'" JFK

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:52 pm

Michael wrote:I think he should give the money to ACORN! :LMAO
What a great idea. That'd stick it to those lyin' righties, and there wouldn't be anything they could do about it because it's not taxpayer money!

On the other hand, it would be sweeter still if, as jwolfbauer suggested, the president donated his Nobel money to the free clinics (and mention it was at a Countdown viewer's suggestion :grin: ) -- since he's pretty much mishandled the whole health care reform matter due to his fixation on doing everything "bipartisan."

I'm not mad at Obama for this -- just frustrated as all get-out.

-Marie-

jwolfbauer
Certified Fan

Postby jwolfbauer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:50 pm

Frustrated is not the word! When I watched countdown last night and heard that Senator Bill Nelson went on Fox, I was out ragged! I emailed him this letter:

Call yourself a Democrat do you. You are a Republican standing in the pants of a crook! Get you BUTT out of the hands of the insurance companies and do what is right for the American people who put your butt in office. If you do not support a public option then it is my wish, and I pray to God that you are recalled, thrown out of office, all of your benefits for you and your FAMILY are taken away! Think of all the Free Clinics that will be starting up in every State. The lines and lines of people who will be showing the world that the US cannot take care of its own! When this happenes, it will put the INSURANCE COMPANIES OUT OF BUSINESS, millions will be unemployed and the stock market will crash, as we have never seen before. You will be amoungest the people on the unemployment line!

I'm sitting here with chills. I can't believe a Democrate Senator, such as this jerk was voted into office. What are the people thinking? Are Americans so complacent that they can't see the forest for the TREES. I need a librium, if I could afford one I would go get it and take it. :x :x Mad as hell.
In brightest day,
In blackest night,

Return to “2009”