Perhaps they have this backwards... 12-21-06

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2006 (2005 was accidently deleted)
Marie
Certified Fan

Perhaps they have this backwards... 12-21-06

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:45 pm

I think Keith was partially responsible for bringing about the "national shift in political
sentiment" -- not simply reflecting it, as this article suggests -- as he was one of the
few primetime news show hosts bringing the truth to the American people.

- - -
AS THE NATION GOES, SO GO THE NEWS NETS
12-21-06

THE APPARENT national shift in political sentiment seems to be reflected in the
ratings for the cable news networks, with Fox News Network dropping out of the top
ten cable outlets. MSNBC, on the other hand, has seen its primetime audience rise
some 25 percent above what it was at this time a year ago, with Keith Olbermann's
program showing the largest gain.

Writing on his website, http://www.meandted.com, Wednesday, CNN co-founder Reese
Schonfeld wrote: "There is no question in my mind that Olbermann's anti-
administration attitude is resonating with viewers, particularly the young ones. I guess
the Democrats' Congressional victory has benefited MSNBC not CNN. It may be that
wishy-washy CNN is stuck in the middle or perhaps stuck in a muddle."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/as%20the%20nation%20goes%20so%20go%20the%20news%20nets_1017273
- - -

-Marie-

Shellysdc

Postby Shellysdc » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:52 pm

Sounds to me like someone's jealous.

OlbermannBuiltMyHotRod

Postby OlbermannBuiltMyHotRod » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:38 pm

sounds to me like Shellysdc is right. :spin
HotRod: "they're real, and they're spectacular"

...every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...

- Semisonic/Closing Time

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:48 am

I don't think he's implying that Keith is following the lead of the electorate, merely saying that Keith is getting really good ratings now precisely because what he has to say (which we know is what he has always had to say) is exactly what the public is finally in the mood to hear.
...if you don't stick up for the freedom of all opinion, eventually the wheel will turn, you'll be the minority and you'll have written the rules by which you yourself are squashed. -- Keith Olbermann

Charity Froggenhall

Postby Charity Froggenhall » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:08 am

I think the non-O'Reilly fans of the world were being underserved, which is why they embraced the Special Comments so much.
"It's such a simple thing, really. It's an awareness that the other people in the world are other people, and that you are one of them. That every time you have a chance to help somebody out, to do what's right instead of what you think you're supposed to do, you should do it." -- Keith Olbermann, 1998 Cornell Senior Convocation Speech

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:34 am

Keith only spoke of what bothered him. The first time he took the gamble and did a commentary towards the administration, he couldn't have had any idea how many viewers would embrace his views. He was probably as surprised as Faux news that there are so many Americans unhappy with this administration and it's policies. There was someone on the Countdown message board on msnbc the other day who just spouted how Countdown was going down, that it's numbers are way down....blah, blah, blah. I asked him what universe he lived in. Might have been billo.........saying something without the facts to back him up.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Charity Froggenhall

Postby Charity Froggenhall » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:38 am

keithite wrote:Keith only spoke of what bothered him. The first time he took the gamble and did a commentary towards the administration, he couldn't have had any idea how many viewers would embrace his views. He was probably as surprised as Faux news that there are so many Americans unhappy with this administration and it's policies.

You're right. I think on the Today show with Matt Lauer, he spoke of his surprise at the positive reception his commentaries had received. He had totally anticipated the negative reaction.
"It's such a simple thing, really. It's an awareness that the other people in the world are other people, and that you are one of them. That every time you have a chance to help somebody out, to do what's right instead of what you think you're supposed to do, you should do it." -- Keith Olbermann, 1998 Cornell Senior Convocation Speech

brooklynbilly

Postby brooklynbilly » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:41 am

Marie wrote:

I think Keith was partially responsible for bringing about the "national shift in political
sentiment" -- not simply reflecting it, as this article suggests -- as he was one of the
few primetime news show hosts bringing the truth to the American people.

You've got to be kidding.Anti-Republican feelings were at flood tide by the time Olbermann responded to what his audience wanted by turning up the critical rhetotic.Categorizing Olbermann as a player on the national political scene is just a little far fetched.Keith has been successful at increasing his ratings by giving the audience what they want--anti-Republican red meat

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:14 pm

You've got to be kidding, billy. No where could a democrat really get his views heard on television up until Keith, and there was no way of knowing that many people were unhappy. I will bet that most of us here were floored with how quickly the tide shifted after Keith started his commentaries. Keith was not responding to a change in his audience so much as his own feelings to what was happening.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:15 pm

Let's not get too far off the track here. The writer suggests that Keith has merely
reflected the national mood. I contend that he did more than that by expressing
what he himself had been thinking. I believe he was surprised at the strength of the
response and by the way his editorials caught on.

Keith has many more viewers now than he had before he first spoke out. It remains
to be seen whether the majority of new viewers are fundamentally anti-Republican,
as Keith detracters allege, or whether they are anti-Bush POLICY and appreciative
of a primetime news host who hasn't been afraid to state what they have already
concluded themselves.

-Marie-

brooklynbilly

Postby brooklynbilly » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:31 pm

Marie-Everything you say may well be true,but I don't believe a cable show with 500M viewers has anything to do with setting the national agenda.
Also I believe "detractor"is the preferred usage.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:55 pm

No one said anything about setting the national agenda, so why waste your time
arguing against it? Save it for the future, when he will be. :-)

Btw, here's an apt phrase I found, from Sir Thomas North:
other detracters and malicious writers.

-Marie-

Return to “2006”