Don't Get Your Knickers In A Twist...

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2006 (2005 was accidently deleted)
Keyser Soze

Postby Keyser Soze » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:23 pm

You have a point there, Bill. I wouldn't mind a week of the specials and a sub the second week. Perhaps KO doesn't want anyone else writing the show?
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Bruce Lee

GeminiDogg

Postby GeminiDogg » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:42 pm

Kathy wrote:I guess now we know it won't.

They just didn't bother to change the wording on the reruns, is all.

Your picture of KO in a devil mask is pure evil.....BUT I LIKE IT!!! :monk :banana \:D/
Neo-Clown slayer and 'KO' is my mutha Funkin' Dawg!!!

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:46 pm

Left Coast Bill wrote:At the risk of getting flamed...

There is a loss of credibility here. If the mainstream news media decided to take two weeks off and do reruns they would be roundly criticized for their failure to serve the public interest. But cable news can do precisely that, so what does that make them? Entertainment, not news.

If cable news wants to be taken seriously as news media than they need to fill that role responsibly. If KO needs a week or two off, fine, then use a fill-in anchor. But to decide that nothing is going to happen for the next two weeks that needs to be reported or discussed so we will just all have fun discredits you as serious news media.

I won't be watching for the next couple weeks and, if I haven't found something that serves my purpose by then, I'll be back after the first of the year. If I do find a real news service before then, I'll stay there.

Bill, I can understand your feeling. But I get the impression that the decision to fill Keith's time with reruns of his specials (which I get the impression they are doing all next week) rather than new shows with a sub host was MSNBC's, not his. No, it doesn't make them look very professional. But this is not the first time MSNBC has essentially closed up shop at least in part because of a holiday period. Remember how they could not be bothered to interrupt their July 4 doc-block (I think it was) to mention the North Korea bomb test?
...if you don't stick up for the freedom of all opinion, eventually the wheel will turn, you'll be the minority and you'll have written the rules by which you yourself are squashed. -- Keith Olbermann

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:57 pm

I don't see anything wrong with Keith taking time off during the last two weeks of the year, and using the best of episodes to fill the time. He might have a skeleton crew that is now getting a well deserved two week vacation. He doesn't put this show together all by himself, and I think his crew is top notch. I am sorry to hear LCBill lose the faith so easily.......especially for as hard as Keith has worked for us thus far. Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_32
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Quanlin

Postby Quanlin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:14 pm

I pretty much agree with LCBill. I'm all for giving the regulars a break, but let some less experienced people (I'm thinking producers, mostly) take a crack at it in the mean time. It's not like we won't understand if the quality drops a bit during those times.
I think even the best of fans can get a little fed up with the leftovers. I'd like to see some green kid interviewing some crazy Santa character to fill the time. Something live, something real.
-q

Lauralu

Postby Lauralu » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:16 pm

Aside from C/D, MSNBC isn't exactly a class act in programing decisions. How many Predators on Line can they make? Maybe they've cut the crew so much for the holiday break so they can afford Keith's raise!

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:34 pm

Lauralu Wrote:

Maybe they've cut the crew so much for the holiday break so they can afford Keith's raise!

If we are going for 'Conspiracy Theory's', I have one. :tin

What if the 'Powers That Be' at NBC :pirate decided to go with this prerecorded stuff to show that 'Countdown' can still get good rating without being live and without real News. :tv

And they want to see what the viewers care about more, the 'Fluff' or 'Special Comments'. :-k

If that is their plan, they are in for a BIG let down. [smilie=pdt_piratz_16.gif]
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:27 pm

I agree with LCBill about COUNTDOWN's loss of credibility as a news source by having the show effectively on hiatus. The news doesn't take a vacation. Of course Keith deserves time off and none of us are thrilled with any subs, but the show must go on if it wishes to be taken seriously as a news program.

However, I can also understand MSNBC's desire to fill in cheaply with reruns rather than spend money on a substandard version of the quality we expect from "COUNTDOWN with Keith Olbermann" at a time when fewer people are likely to watch anyway.

A good compromise would be to have some reruns (Fridays? Mondays?) and produce shows with substitute hosts for the other three days of the week. Even the new shows could have some rerun content...can one ever hear Keith's "Special Comments" too many times?

Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_02
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Lauralu

Postby Lauralu » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:53 am

Kinda nuts to run his 'best of" for two weeks straight. I don't think they'll do that. My money has it they'll have a sub for next week's countdown; maybe not on the 25th, but for the rest of the week.

On the other hand, maybe MSNBC doesn't want to be a news station and wants to turn into a 24 hour dateline with pre-recorded shows. Who knows. The daytime news programs are lame--the anchors ask the dumbest questions, especially after a story is just done..i.e. the Mt. Hood hikers. 24 hour news has created talking heads who care not what they say or ask..just keep the story going. Keith is an exception and that's why I watch. Where ever he goes, I will watch him.

Iris

Postby Iris » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:08 am

I have to admit...the only night I watched Countdown, this week, was Monday when they re-aired Keith's special comments. I totally agree with everyone who posted that the news doesn't take a vacation. I'm afraid I can't get into a rerun of "oddball" when we might be sending more troops into this botched war. Especially during the holidays.

I'm sure keith needs a break, but MSNBC should air some kind of newscast with current news in his place. I'm getting more and more disappointed with the network. They complain that they're in third place and then they continue to cut their LIVE news coverage. It doesn't make sense. Even Scarborough had more viewers on Tues. night than Countdown.

SusieQ
Site Admin

Postby SusieQ » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:30 am

I don't consider Countdown a live news show. Keith goes over news of the day, but in his way. Running the best of shows seems to be a testament to Keith's importance to the show. Keith might even prefer that no one do the show anymore because it is his. Mike Barnacle does a great job subbing for Matthews, but Countdown is more dependent on Keith's opinion of things. Keith is Countdown. His show isn't really about breaking news. I always look forward to the show at the end of a day because I know Keith will cover the topics of the day with his perspective. I will get the straight poop. How does that transcend to another commentator? Keith might actually write a great deal of the show, and if he is on vacation, Countdown without his input wouldn't be the same. :tv
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
-John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who, however, has never learned to walk forward.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Left Coast Bill

Postby Left Coast Bill » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:30 am

Remember Paul Harvey? When he was on vacation the station aired a totally different show, unrelated. Paul Harvey would have been offended had they done a "rerun" of his commentary.

Good news commentary (i.e. KO's) is powerful when it is current and in context, but merely sounds pompous when aired out of context in rerun when the time has passed.

In short, Countdown is not news, it is entertainment pretending to be news. I would like to see KO in a serious news environment, he deserves better than MSNBC.

chicating

Postby chicating » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:35 pm

But I think that being on a cable dark-horse gave him a chance to make the show the way he wanted it. And I've got no problem with Oddball best of '06 or some other retrospective content...two weeks is a bit much, though.
Enjoyed seeing the SC's I hadn't, but...

Return to “2006”