Blogging Countdown 12/13 #5a: Senate Health Panic

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2006 (2005 was accidently deleted)
Trekkie

Blogging Countdown 12/13 #5a: Senate Health Panic

Postby Trekkie » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:53 am

Senator Tim Johnson (D-S.D.) was hospitalized today with "stroke-like symptoms", but a statement from the Senator's staff says that he did not have a stroke nor did he have a hear attack.

If Johnson were to pass away or be forced to resign, South Dakota governor Mike Rounds (a Republican) would select a replacement until a special election could be held. Such a move could return control of the Senate back to the GOP (since it would then be 50-50 and Dick Cheney holds the tiebreaker vote).

David Shuster updates us on Johnson's health as well as the political ramifications.
Tenth Doctor:
"I'm the Doctor and you're in the biggest Library in the universe. Look me up." - Forest Of The Dead

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - Blink

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:57 am

The Political ramifications don't matter right now, I just pray Senator Johnson is alright and he gets well soon. And I also send good thoughts to his family.
" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Trekkie

Postby Trekkie » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:01 am

Keith made it a point to say that this did sound "ghoulish", but that the political implications are tied to the story. So far, I haven't seen any real reaction from the freepers.

Updating: As of 2:30AM EST, Johnson is undergoing brain surgery at George Washington University Hospital.
Tenth Doctor:
"I'm the Doctor and you're in the biggest Library in the universe. Look me up." - Forest Of The Dead

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - Blink

Charity Froggenhall

Postby Charity Froggenhall » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:19 am

Brain surgery? Ack! I wonder if he had an aneurysm or blood vessel that burst.
"It's such a simple thing, really. It's an awareness that the other people in the world are other people, and that you are one of them. That every time you have a chance to help somebody out, to do what's right instead of what you think you're supposed to do, you should do it." -- Keith Olbermann, 1998 Cornell Senior Convocation Speech

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:27 am

It sounds like what happened to Peter Gammons a few months ago.
" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Keyser Soze

Postby Keyser Soze » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:39 am

CNN is reporting that Johnson suffered a hemorrhage. He is, according to CNN, in critical condition following brain surgery
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Bruce Lee

the roser

Postby the roser » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:13 am

Turns out he suffered bleeding in the brain caused by arteriovenous malformation, or a congenital defect in the blood vessels in the brain. He is critical but stable which seems to suggest he's going to make it. Wish we had a brain docter around here to explain this to us. :idea

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061214/ap_on_go_co/johnson

OlbermannBuiltMyHotRod

Postby OlbermannBuiltMyHotRod » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:43 am

FloridaFan unfortunately has serious personal experience with this. she was in a very bad way when it happened, but she got fast, excellent care and even better rehab. the good news is that she's just fine and could more than manage the basic Constitutional duties of a U.S. Senator. everyone seems hopeful that Sen. Johnson will be able to do his duty. i'm sure he's in good hands. surgery was not an option for FloridaFan, so i'm hopeful that the lack of having to sit around wondering if the bleeding would stop and that they knew exactly where it was coming from and get it stopped and relieve any pressure building up on his brain will contribute to a better prognosis for him. just my two cents. things seem to be looking up from the reports i'm hearing.
HotRod: "they're real, and they're spectacular"

...every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...

- Semisonic/Closing Time

the roser

Postby the roser » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:38 pm

It sounded like he got to the hospital quickly enough to avoid any serious damage. Hopefully all this hand wringing over the majority was premature. Thanks for filling in the blanks Michael.

Return to “2006”