Blogging Countdown 12/12 Worst Person In The World

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2006 (2005 was accidently deleted)
Trekkie

Blogging Countdown 12/12 Worst Person In The World

Postby Trekkie » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:03 pm

Worse: Laraine Riddell - English P.E. teacher will start offering pole dancing classes to kids as young as 12.

Worser: Grace Chapel Evangelical Church - Senior pastor Paul Barnes resigned after another minister confronted him with evidence that Barnes was gay.

Worst: Julie Upton - Houston housing agent offers a free Glock handgun to anyone who buys a house from her.
Last edited by Trekkie on Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenth Doctor:
"I'm the Doctor and you're in the biggest Library in the universe. Look me up." - Forest Of The Dead

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - Blink

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:46 pm

Ok, I have to defend (somewhat) tonight's WPITW--the realtor from Houston giving away a free Glock pistol (valued at $450-500) to new homebuyers. What was NOT reported in Keith's story was that the giveaway is aimed (no pun intended) at policemen.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropo ... 90230.html

The realtor advertised the giveaway in a police publication and her husband is a 15-year veteran of the Houston police force. For those not wanting an expensive new service revolver, they can instead take a $500 American Express gift check.

Offering a worthwhile bonus to homebuying policemen hardly qualifies that realtor for WPITW, but for leaving out that kind of information for the sake of their story--Keith and COUNTDOWN, tonight's WPITW!
:boink
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Keyser Soze

Postby Keyser Soze » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:13 pm

Bad Keith!

Doesn't take much research to find out that little tiny, and very important, piece of information.

Did you write to the show, dejapig? I'll send a little note meself.
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Bruce Lee

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:29 pm

I did write to the show.

We have a saying here, "Don't Mess with Texas." Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_02

That slogan was created in 1986 as part of an anti-litter campaign, but it has become kind of an all-purpose state slogan.

Excerpted from Wikipedia:
More than its immediate success at reducing litter, however, the slogan became a Texas cultural phenomenon and the slogan has been appropriated by the citizens of Texas for general use. Though it appears on countless items of tourist paraphernalia, the phrase is actually a federally registered trademark ... Twenty years after its introduction, the success and popularity of "Don’t Mess with Texas" has earned it a spot among the best advertising slogans ever. ... This is the third year for the contest, and only two slogans per year are honored.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:13 am

Worse: Laraine Riddell - English P.E. teacher will start offering pole dancing classes to kids as young as 12.

[smilie=redcolorz3_pdt_04.gif] ...OMG! [smilie=redcolorz3_pdt_20.gif]

Worser: Grace Chapel Evangelical Church - Senior pastor Paul Barnes resigned after another minister confronted him with evidence that Barnes was gay.

Another one bites the dust. Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_02

Worst: Julie Upton - Houston housing agent offers a free Glock handgun to anyone who buys a house from her.

Two words...Bad Idea! saiyan

I don't care if she is trying to sell houses to cops. [-X

What if someone wants to buy a house and isn't a Cop? Is the free gun deal off? :-k
" I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people." Peter Capaldi As The Twelfth Doctor - Heaven Sent

Keyser Soze

Postby Keyser Soze » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:48 am

Good point, it isn't a great idea... but that little piece of info should've been part of the story. I thought the pole dancer had a better Worst quality... LOL

I'm assuming you would have to prove that you're a peace officer... Otherwise the ATF might have a problem...
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Bruce Lee

King George

Re: Blogging Countdown 12/12 Worst Person In The World

Postby King George » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:53 am

Trekkie wrote:Worser: Grace Chapel Evangelical Church - Senior pastor Paul Barnes resigned after another minister confronted him with evidence that Barnes was gay.

And yet another hypocrite gets caught with his pants literally down.
"The future does not belong to those who are content with today, apathetic toward common problems and their fellow man alike, timid and fearful in the face of bold projects and new ideas. Rather, it will belong to those who can blend passion, reason and courage in a personal commitment to the great enterprises and ideals of American society."~Robert F. Kennedy

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:15 pm

I'm still going to defend that realtor against her WPITW charge. She was advertising in a police publication and trying to do something nice for policemen by giving them a very nice service revolver in exchange for buying a house from her. It helps the policeman, it helps the neighborhood, it helps the realtor. Who does it hurt? She's not giving away anything that anyone couldn't go out and buy on their own. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms said she complied with all the rules and regs involving gun ownership. Besides, this is America (and TEXAS) so anyone who wants a gun can get one with very little effort, and probably has already done so.

Keith and the COUNTDOWN staff, however, told that story with a completely different slant. Very disappointing to waste a WPITW nomination on someone who hasn't truly "earned" it when there are so many more deserving people out there. But maybe it was a slow news day.

Charity Froggenhall

Postby Charity Froggenhall » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:38 pm

dejapig wrote:Keith and the COUNTDOWN staff, however, told that story with a completely different slant. Very disappointing to waste a WPITW nomination on someone who hasn't truly "earned" it when there are so many more deserving people out there. But maybe it was a slow news day.

Did you ever get a response? I'd be curious to hear what, if anything, they had to say.
"It's such a simple thing, really. It's an awareness that the other people in the world are other people, and that you are one of them. That every time you have a chance to help somebody out, to do what's right instead of what you think you're supposed to do, you should do it." -- Keith Olbermann, 1998 Cornell Senior Convocation Speech

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:49 pm

No response.

I didn't really expect one, but I thought it would have been funny if KO admitted the omission and made himself WPITW, or maybe put himself in COUNTDOWN's Apology Hall of Fame.

:spin

NancyB
Spaz

Postby NancyB » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:24 pm

dejapig wrote:No response.

I didn't really expect one, but I thought it would have been funny if KO admitted the omission and made himself WPITW, or maybe put himself in COUNTDOWN's Apology Hall of Fame.

:spin
I think hes already in the countdown hall of fame for something else.

I'm not in favor of anyone, including a cop, having an extra gun around the house.

Return to “2006”