Big SportsCenter article in January issue of Playboy

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2006 (2005 was accidently deleted)
Kathy

Big SportsCenter article in January issue of Playboy

Postby Kathy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:21 am

If you're a fan of the Big Show, you'll want to get the January issue of Playboy with Pamela Anderson on the cover (and if you're female, ignore the sexist cartoons you'll have to wade through) to read their "oral history" of SportsCenter. Yes, ESPN has finally acknowledged that Keith was part of it all and he was interviewed for this article. Contains some of the classic stories--the "Blow Doll" and "bulging disc" tales--and is just interesting to read overall. (Dan mentions a few of the things that "bugged" Keith around the office that he used to complain about. Yes, it's probably a good thing he's changed since then.)

See if you don't agree with me, though, that John Walsh sounds like he's still passively-aggressively getting back at Keith, what with his comments about whose version of SportsCenter was the best and how the cable news networks will never be able to reinvent news the way Jon Stewart is doing because the broadcast networks already created it. It sure read to me like a slap in the face against a guy who, let's see, has been credited by some people with reinventing the news on a cable news network after having left SportsCenter...it's almost as if he's saying "You think you're reinventing TV news? My ass. Jon Stewart is reinventing TV news. It must really burn your ass too." (Without saying it to anyone's face, of course.) Which, to my mind, is nonsense...

Anyway, read. You'll also be amused that the collage used to illustrate this article--which consists of cutouts of pictures of the various people and things associated with the show--has a big cutout of Keith's head (from his several-years-old-but-still-current MSNBC portrait) sitting in dead center. Take that!
...if you don't stick up for the freedom of all opinion, eventually the wheel will turn, you'll be the minority and you'll have written the rules by which you yourself are squashed. -- Keith Olbermann

Shellysdc

Postby Shellysdc » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:39 pm

Thanks! That'll be one interesting birthday present for me (minus the sexist pics and stuff)!

:P

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:37 pm

Another bonus: the "Playbill" column on page 3 ("about the authors/photographers" column) includes a charming head shot of Keith. Off the top it does not look like one I have seen before, although I could be wrong.

Added comment: The author, Kevin Cook, says "Even though Olbermann is establishing himself as a serious political commentator, he was eager to talk about SportsCenter, which was fun because I feel he and Patrick had one of the great love affairs of our time."

Oh boy. That one should set off the Punditslashers like nobody's business. I'm waiting for Dan or Keith to read it; it doesn't appear they have, or surely someone would have mentioned it on air by now. (I love how they ran that clip again on today's show of Dan and Keith getting testy with each other a while back and saying that while people have been demanding more than an hour of Big Show per day, they have to limit it to an hour because that's about how long Dan and Keith can stand each other.)

And don't miss the unintentional humor provided by the photographer who did Pam Anderson's (ahem) spread. I quote: "Besides Pam's flawless looks, her natural generosity and lovingness are why the public has embraced her...I have had plenty of giant-breasted girls say to me, 'I can be the next Pam Anderson if you shoot me.' I tell them, 'No, there is only one Pam.' Like the Mona Lisa and Marilyn Monroe, Pam has come to symbolize the divine beauty of femininity in contemporary culture." Now THAT's funny!

Also: Go to playboy.com and you can vote on your favorite catchphrase. Unfortunately the only one from Keith is a dull one in which he introduces the Big Show. It's almost as if it was deliberately chosen over any of his funny ones. But you can vote for it, anyway.
...if you don't stick up for the freedom of all opinion, eventually the wheel will turn, you'll be the minority and you'll have written the rules by which you yourself are squashed. -- Keith Olbermann

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:13 am

Thanks for the headsup and review, Kathy. I'll have my husband buy it. No one would
look askance at that. Hey, why is this piece in Playboy and not ESPN Magazine? It might
make that "Insider" subscription actually WORTH something!

-Marie-

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:47 am

Marie wrote:Thanks for the headsup and review, Kathy. I'll have my husband buy it. No one would
look askance at that.

Isn't it embarrassing how we women feel embarrassed about buying Playboy? I actually bought my copy online--it's electronic--because the issue is not on any newsstand I have been to here yet. But thinking about buying it reminded me of a class I took in college in which I had to write a paper on whether or not Playboy qualified as "obscene" under the First Amendment. This required me to read a lot of Playboy, of course, for research. Which I did in the campus library. But it must have looked funny--me sitting there with a stack of Playboys. "Honestly, I AM reading them for the articles! Well, OK, I'm looking at the pictures too, but it's RESEARCH!"

Marie wrote:Hey, why is this piece in Playboy and not ESPN Magazine? It might make that "Insider" subscription actually WORTH something!-Marie-

I don't know. Maybe the author is a regular Playboy writer and just got the idea. Anyway, I think it's significant that apparently no one at ESPN raised a stink over the inclusion of Keith (or if they did, they were ignored). It also goes a way toward explaining why Keith said something not long ago about being sensitive about how ESPN sees him. This is, I believe, the first time he's gone on record saying something about his life there in print since "The Book." I think he wanted to make sure he did so very carefully and didn't blow the good thing he has going.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:17 pm

Finally! A man who actually *does* buy it for the articles!

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:27 pm

>But it must have looked funny--me sitting there with a stack of Playboys.
"Honestly, I AM reading them for the articles! Well, OK, I'm looking at the pictures
too, but it's RESEARCH!"<

You were obviously attending an advanced institution if folks looking at a woman
looking at magazines w/ naked women automatically concluded that she must be,
as the middle-aged lady writing to Ann Landers malaprop'd, "Lebanese." Not to
mention that its library shelved Playboy!

I'd be most appreciative if you would give me a link to the online service which sells
magazines by the issue. Didn't know you could do that (except for back numbers).

-Marie-

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Marie wrote:>But it must have looked funny--me sitting there with a stack of Playboys.
"Honestly, I AM reading them for the articles! Well, OK, I'm looking at the pictures
too, but it's RESEARCH!"<

You were obviously attending an advanced institution if folks looking at a woman
looking at magazines w/ naked women automatically concluded that she must be,
as the middle-aged lady writing to Ann Landers malaprop'd, "Lebanese." Not to
mention that its library shelved Playboy!

Oh, I don't know--I just think that it's not every day that any college library sees a female student sitting there with a stack of Playboys, Penthouses and Hustlers (I had to do some comparison, of course!) claiming that she's doing work for a class! (Or a male student, for that matter, who says it and isn't lying!)

Marie wrote:I'd be most appreciative if you would give me a link to the online service which sells
magazines by the issue. Didn't know you could do that (except for back numbers).

-Marie-

Absolutely. You can actually go to the playboy.com site and do it from there, or you can go to zinio.com to sign up for an electronic subscription or to purchase a single issue of any of the magazines they have for sale. Zinio is your electronic magazine stand! To read the magazines you purchase, you need Zinio Reader (which comes installed on Macs but is also available for PCs; I actually had to upgrade my version), which is free. When you download it, you can then download your magazine and read it and it will look just like it does in print--complete WYSIWIG--the only thing missing is the staples! You can "turn" the pages just like with a real magazine, skip to a page, move the image up and down screen, enlarge it, or print it. Very cool. And if you buy a subscription to any magazine, it will check for your new issues every time you open the reader, at the click of a button.

For me, even though it took hours to download this issue of Playboy on dialup, it was well worth it because, as I said, it was available online even though I cannot yet find it on a newsstand.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:34 pm

>I just think that it's not every day that any college library sees a female student
sitting there with a stack of Playboys, Penthouses and Hustlers (I had to do some
comparison, of course!) claiming that she's doing work for a class!<

I think your college had a pretty broad-minded philosophy, though. Such publications
never would have been seen on the shelves of my university in the late '60s and
early '70s, and I daresay even into the '80s -- essays or no essays.

Not only that, but if you'd been seen using them to write a report for class, the
assumption would have been that you were, at the very least, a radical feminist
(which, for a great number of people, translated as suggested in my post above).

Thanks for the line on the magazine websites, Kathy. You've saved my husband
from an onerous task. He actually wrinkled his nose when I asked if he'd be willing
to pick one up.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:53 pm

We can still help put Keith's historic catchphrase over the top. (It gave the show
its name, which has, so far, given rise to two more incarnations!)

http://playboy.com/magazine/features/es ... rase-vote/

Current rankings:

"Boo-yah!" -- Stuart Scott
53 votes

"Say hello to my leetle friend." -- Steve Berthiaume
50 votes

"Live from ESPN headquarters, it's the big show." -- Keith Olbermann
49 votes

"En fuego!" -- Dan Patrick
35 votes

"Back, back, back, back...." -- Chris Berman
33 votes

"Your puny ballparks are too small to contain my gargantuan blasts." -- Kenny Mayne
26 votes

"Jumanji!" -- Craig Kilborn
24 votes

"Howzit!" -- Neil Everett
8 votes
- - -

Meanwhile, Playboy.com is SOLD OUT of the Jan. '07 issue.

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:29 am

Okay, got the issue through Zinio. Whew! Took some time to get it all squared away,
but I've played around with it and it's kinda cool.

-Marie-

Quanlin

Postby Quanlin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:17 am

Can somebody with an electronic copy do a printscreen for the rest of us to enjoy?
-q

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:27 am

I was wondering the same thing, mainly so we can save images. They use an
Adobe-like format in order to protect the content, so you can't do a simple
save-as maneuver.

-Marie-

ChiTownGirl

Postby ChiTownGirl » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:31 pm

Michael wrote:Keith has now been featured twice in six months in Playboy.
What is the other issue?
"They have vilified me, they have crucified me; yes, they have even criticized me." Former Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley from 1955 to 1976

www.twitter.com/judeeb
www.facebook.com/JudeeB122

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:02 pm

Thanks, Michael. Missed it the first time around.

(I noticed BB stepped in it as usual.)

-Marie-

Return to “2006”