"Keith in Strange Places"

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2006 (2005 was accidently deleted)
Kathy

"Keith in Strange Places"

Postby Kathy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:25 pm

It's true, folks: you never know where Keith will show up.

Some time ago I was researching books on Amazon that mention Keith. In the course of doing so, I made this discovery: Keith and Countdown appear in a rather cheesy-looking (to me anyway) novel called Deep Freeze by a guy named Thom Racina.

According to the listing, the novel is a thriller about a wealthy Los Angeles family whose members are scattered throughout the city when a devastating snow and ice storm hits Southern California. OK...anyway, there's a subplot about a Charles Manson-like cult whose followers believes the storm will trigger a race war in which the black population of Los Angeles rises up against the white population and lots of blood gets spilled.

How does Keith fit into this? There's a scene in the book in which the father of the family is supposedly online, looking at a clip of Countdown on which he sees Contessa Brewer (yes, she's in this too) interviewing the Manson-like cult leader live on the scene where his followers are gathering in the snow. Which to me just goes to show how little familiarity the author actually has with Countdown--Keith never talks to anyone doing live-from-the-scene interviews on breaking news. Yes, he occasionally talks to people who are doing standups on the scene, but the only person they're talking to is him. They describe something that happened or is happening, then say "Back to you, Keith," he says "Great thanks," and that's the end of it.

Here's the only excerpt containing Keith that you can actually read on the site. I've edited it somewhat:

…In an MSNBC online news clip, the energetic Contessa Brewer, the babe of an anchor that Harry had always adored and secretly wanted to make love to, was in Los Angeles for a few days—a few longer than expected, Harry thought, with the planes all grounded—and got a tip on something happening in the San Fernando Valley. She was reporting from an odd candlelight vigil in Chatsworth at sundown, where the snow was coming down hard…

…As Contessa informed her viewers, the participants in this vigil wouldn’t allow her cameras to come close, but what it represented was chilling.

…”What’s all this about, Mr, King?” she asked.

“It’s about prayer. It’s about what’s coming.”

…“This snowfall somehow portends a race war?” Contessa asked incredulously.

King took over. “There will be a revolution because of this, and only my followers will be left standing.”

Loretta grabbed the mike in the freezing wind. “Susan Atkins said it best. She said,
A couple of black people—some of the spades from Watts—would come up into the Bel Air and Beverly Hills district—up in the rich piggy district—and just wipe some people out, just cutting bodies up and smearing blood and writing things on the wall in blood.”

“And you believe such anarchy will take place because of the snow?”

Jeffrey King grinned devilishly. “Black people are gonna want to get warm, they’re gonna want roofs over their heads, they’re gonna say they’ve finally had enough. So where are they gonna go? Bel Air. That’s where.”

“This is a celebration, then, of helter-skelter? Of Manson’s vision coming true?”

“Hey, baby,” he said with a wink, “your own newscast said tonight that poor people are being burned outta their buildings, that their flimsy roofs are collapsing. Helter-skelter, baby, helter-skelter.”

Contessa said, “Mr, King, you live in one of the biggest mansions in the San Fernando Valley. Do you think you’re safe?”

“I’ll open my doors to all my followers.”

In the background. Contessa and her viewers heard the group singing the Beatles’ “Sexy Sadie” “I frankly don’t know what to make of this” she admitted to Keith Olbermann, who was anchoring his
Countdown with Keith Olbermann newscast from the studio in New Jersey. The Manson followers playing in the snow was today’s number one story.

“And a city council member is supporting him?” Keith said. Keith turned to his right and immediately added, “Contessa, an interesting item just in—apparently earlier this evening, at the Getty Museum, someone wrote DEATH TO PIGS in the snow. It’s a phrase that Jeffrey King used in his book and that has often been quoted by his followers. And it was exactly what was written in blood on the wall at the LaBianca house the night after the Tate murders.”

Contessa turned to King and asked him about it. He just started to sing, “You say you want a revolution…”

Contessa turned it back to Keith, not quite knowing if she should laugh or feel scared.

Here's something else interesting. Keith is also mentioned later in the book, but the most I can tell (because that part is not excerpted) is that he's saying transmission from Los Angeles has been lost because Contessa Brewer has been "blown away"!
...if you don't stick up for the freedom of all opinion, eventually the wheel will turn, you'll be the minority and you'll have written the rules by which you yourself are squashed. -- Keith Olbermann

OlbermannBuiltMyHotRod

Postby OlbermannBuiltMyHotRod » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:23 pm

weird-o-rama!
HotRod: "they're real, and they're spectacular"

...every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...

- Semisonic/Closing Time

Lauralu

Postby Lauralu » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:34 pm

Yeah, weird.

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:44 am

The book is not written or edited very well. For example, there are periods missing at the end of some sentences and basic stuff like that.

It reads sort of like your average self-published novel of questionable literary value.
...if you don't stick up for the freedom of all opinion, eventually the wheel will turn, you'll be the minority and you'll have written the rules by which you yourself are squashed. -- Keith Olbermann

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:46 am

Here's another example of Keith in strange places:

[url]http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=38366001&blogID=204090075[/url]

This blogger is twisted, but I like how he twists.

Return to “2006”