KO is going to be ALL OVER this one...

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2006 (2005 was accidently deleted)
OlbermannBuiltMyHotRod

Postby OlbermannBuiltMyHotRod » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:39 pm

"halfrican"? honestly, how can people listen to these idiots who spew that kind of shit? boggles the mind.
HotRod: "they're real, and they're spectacular"

...every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...

- Semisonic/Closing Time

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:43 pm

Shellysdc Wrote:

SIFriend wrote:
There's not enough brain-bleach in the universe to get rid of THAT mental image.

That's a good quote Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_02 , but it's not mine. Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_32
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Lauralu

Postby Lauralu » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:44 pm

Here it is:

Melanie Morgan co-host on "Halfrican" Obama
On the December 4 broadcast of San Francisco radio station KSFO's Sussman, Morgan & Vic, in speaking to a co-host -- apparently Brian Sussman -- co-host Melanie Morgan referred to Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) as an, "as you call, 'Halfrican.' " Sussman responded, "Halfrican ... his father was from Kenya, his mother's white." He added that, "in my opinion -- 'cause my opinion is your average white guy," Obama "is not allowed to wear the African-American badge because his family are not the descendants of slaves, OK? He can't identify with the discrimination and the slavery and all of that that's gone into these black families for generations."

Sussman also said, "I have ... nothing against mixed-race people," but later added, "I get offended and I know I have many black friends who get offended when he stands in front of that black audience talking like he's from the hood, born and raised, and ... can identify with all of their issues. He can't!"

From the December 4 edition of KSFO's Sussman, Morgan & Vic:

MORGAN: Senator Obama, who is, as you call, a 'Halfrican' --

SUSSMAN: Halfrican and, again, his father was -- his father was from Kenya, his mother's white. OK, now, I have nothing with mixed -- nothing against mixed-race people but, my point is, when this guy stands in front of a black audience, pretending like he was born and raised in the hood, and he can identify with their problems, he doesn't allow -- he is not, in my opinion -- 'cause my opinion is your average white guy -- he is not allowed to wear the African-American badge because his family are not the descendants of slaves, OK? He can't identify with the discrimination and the slavery and all of that that's gone into these black families for generations; he's a kid who was raised with a silver spoon in his mouth in a white family in Hawaii, OK? You wanna call me names for saying this? Go right ahead. I'm just telling you what the guy is.

MORGAN: Well --

TOM BENNER (aka "Officer Vic," KSFO morning traffic reporter): And you're not making this up. I mean, it's documented, for goodness sake. You can look it up.

SUSSMAN: I'm not making this up, so I just -- I get offended and I know I have many black friends who get offended when he stands in front of that black audience talking like he's from the hood, born and raised, and I can -- can identify with all of their issues. He can't!

MORGAN: Well, and guess what? It's working. It's working big-time.

—A.D.S.
Adam D. Serwer is an intern at Media Matters for America.

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:34 pm

A big problem with their argument that Obama isn't "black" enough for them is that to the "average white guy" they seem to be so fond of quoting, regardless of his parentage or upbringing, Obama's skin says he's black and anyone with any racial bias against black people is not going to give Obama a pass because he's only a "halfrican" or because he grew up in a white neighborhood in Hawaii.

:boink
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Keyser Soze

Postby Keyser Soze » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:11 pm

I think she wants to get Keith's attention... RUN Keith RUN
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Bruce Lee

Trekkerlass

Postby Trekkerlass » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:41 pm

Slfriend79 wrote:Shellysdc Wrote:

SIFriend wrote:
There's not enough brain-bleach in the universe to get rid of THAT mental image.

That's a good quote Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_02 , but it's not mine. Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_32

It's mine... :spin
'What are the lessons to be learned from this journey of the mind "through the universe"? That humans are emotionally fragile, perennially gullible, hopelessly ignorant masters of an insignificantly small speck in the cosmos. Have a nice day.'--Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Ninten12

Postby Ninten12 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:00 pm

This black woman will chime in to say that Barack Obama, Halle Berry and Mariah Carey et al are not black. They are bi-racial. Period. This country just needs to get the hell over it that we black people will do it with white people and sometimes produce proof of that fact.

"Halfrican"? That's just damn retarded! :tin

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:55 am

I really and truly wish these people would EDUCATE THEMSELVES on a topic before they OPEN THEIR MOUTHS about it.

Facts about Barack Obama's life:

--He was born in Hawaii; that's true.
--His father was from Kenya, his mother white. That's true.
--When he was two, his parents DIVORCED and his father moved back to Kenya. When he was six, his mother married an Indonesian student and they moved to Jakarta.
--Four years later, his mother sent him back to Hawaii to live with his grandparents. A while after that she followed him.

A descendant of slaves, he may not be. But half black, half African, he is; therefore he is "African American." Why is he any less black because he's not "from the hood"? And I would not call his upbringing a "silver spoon" one. Generally, losing contact with your birth father at age two doesn't qualify as living a "silver spoon" life, even if money isn't a big issue. And he didn't spend all of his upbringing in Hawaii, he spent part of it in Indonesia.
...if you don't stick up for the freedom of all opinion, eventually the wheel will turn, you'll be the minority and you'll have written the rules by which you yourself are squashed. -- Keith Olbermann

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:06 pm

Marie wrote:I think the reason KO & LI went out was that they used to have respect for each
other. She participated on his first MSNBC show (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:nWBrfKzlwqcJ:www.tvnewssearch.com/coms2/docview_0293-472786_1+Keith+olbermann+msnbc+%22the+big+show%22+ingraham&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&strip=1)
and even praised it and him after that. ("He's always holding the media's feet to
the fire instead of talking about those evil politicians," says conservative pundit
Laura Ingraham. "Keith is terrific at using wit and humor to ensure that we guests
don't take ourselves too seriously.")

Perhaps, as has happened to a lot of other people I USED to like, the new
requirements of talk radio and combat TV has pushed her to the extreme limits of
all her positions to the point where she's not the same person she was when they
saw each other socially and worked together professionally.

-Marie-

I'm not so sure about that, Marie. I have a feeling that it's more like this: Laura showed her true colors early, then mellowed out for a brief period in the late '90s when she knew Keith, then went back to showing her true colors again.

From reading David Brock's book Blinded by the Right I learned a lot about what Laura was like in her earlier pre-Keith days. For example, attending Dartmouth, she deliberately attended gay student meetings, then published the meeting minutes in their conservative student paper, The Dartmouth Review, naming names and calling them "sodomites." Does this honestly sound like a person Keith would willingly date, if he knew all about her past? Ah, but by 1997 she was writing mea culpas about this attitude, saying that she had a gay brother and he ultimately changed her point of view about gays. Perhaps it was at this time that Keith actually deluded himself into thinking she was datable, or that he could maybe worm some sense or heart into her by going out with her, or something. WRONG!!!!!! BZZZT!!!! Thanks for playing, Keith, but this woman is a cold-hearted bitch and that's not curable!

Maybe he learned some lessons from it all: a) Don't date your guests! and b) It doesn't matter HOW good a woman looks in a leopard-print miniskirt if she has sold her soul to Satan!
...if you don't stick up for the freedom of all opinion, eventually the wheel will turn, you'll be the minority and you'll have written the rules by which you yourself are squashed. -- Keith Olbermann

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:52 pm

I need to read Brock's book. Thanks, Kathy, for including that important info about
Laura's willingness to change her tune (but not her stripes) to suit the audience.
Same way Gingrich got elected to the House. Yechhh! Good thing Keith caught on
early. (And maybe to something else -- I wonder if she's another rightie hiding her
orientation. They're prone to do that and I get those vibes from her.)

-Marie-

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:58 pm

Ninten12 wrote:This black woman will chime in to say that Barack Obama, Halle Berry and Mariah Carey et al are not black. They are bi-racial. Period. This country just needs to get the hell over it that we black people will do it with white people and sometimes produce proof of that fact.

"Halfrican"? That's just damn retarded! :tin

I guess I just don't see why there is such a big deal about "how" black he is. It all reminds me of the elaborate caste system people used to have in the South to describe how "black" a person's heritage was--you know, "mulatto" was "half" black, then you had the "quadroon" (one black grandparent) and the "octoroon" (one black great-grandparent)...who the hell cares? Why is it such a big honking deal? How can anyone say to anyone who has black African blood in them anywhere that "you're not 'really' black" or whatever?

If you're a product of various races, to an extent you ARE all of those races...no one else has a right to tell you what you are, or that you are not "enough" of this or that to "qualify."

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 pm

The problem here is, you can't tell by just looking... I mean, I'm always mistaking
Barak Obama for Vanilla Ice, they're so similar. [img]http://www.cornweel.be/forum/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

-Marie-

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Marie wrote:I need to read Brock's book. Thanks, Kathy, for including that important info about
Laura's willingness to change her tune (but not her stripes) to suit the audience.
Same way Gingrich got elected to the House. Yechhh! Good thing Keith caught on
early. (And maybe to something else -- I wonder if she's another rightie hiding her
orientation. They're prone to do that and I get those vibes from her.)

-Marie-

Oh, you definitely should. Not only is Brock's book interesting from his standpoint as a gay man coming to terms with the fact that he was a member of and actively supporting a political party that just barely tolerated his sexual orientation (and the limits to that tolerance were all too easily revealed), it's a fascinating insight into how the whole anti-Clinton smear machine worked during his presidency. Brock, of course, really got his start by smearing Anita Hill, but that was how he earned his bones with the Republicans and then moved on to the bigger game of finding any and every possible scandal or potential scandal with which to smear the Clintons. It sounds like it was a 24-hour-job...honestly...like he got up in the morning thinking "Hmm, how can I find a way to link Bill and Hillary to something evil today?"

You also get a very good picture of his life hanging out with the Evil Blondes, Laura Ingraham and Ann Coulter, back when they were still young-Turk "Republican hotties in miniskirts." (Not that Ann has ever outgrown THAT phase, or at least ever thinks she has...) Brock spent many hours drinking, laughing and saying nasty things about Democrats with Ann and Laura. One of the things he points out about Laura is how ironic it was that she would pal around with him because she was already known from her college days as a gay-hater, yet around him she played the role of "fag hag" and made fun with him of other people with whom they disagreed politically.

(Disclaimer: I'm not saying here that I approve of the term "fag hag" at all. I think it's a very nasty term homophobes use to imply that the only kind of women who can befriend and enjoy the company of gay men are ugly heterosexual women who can't get themselves a straight man for a lover. Very prejudiced and very ugly attitude.)

Anyway, something tells me that Keith's philosophy toward gay people--which he summarized so well the other night when talking about Mary Cheney's baby by quoting the line "What's it to ya?"--is not one at which he is recently arrived. It sounds too deep-seated and internalized, which makes me suspect it goes back to his upbringing. He may well have been raised--unlike most kids of his generation--to regard gay people as simply people, without a lot of the baggage most men have to unload to arrive at that attitude. And that's saying something, considered how deeply steeped he is in the world of men's sports, where gay-discomfort, if not out-and-out homophobia, is the coin of the realm.

Whether or not Laura herself is a closeted anything, I do not know. But I find it believable that if Keith had Laura on his show and she seemed admiring of the respectful way he ran his show and didn't fillet her on the air just because he didn't necessarily support everything she said, and he was perhaps not completely aware of her entire past and how late she had come to the table of "tolerance" when it came to gays and so on, he may have had some notion that she was at least worth a date or two. After all, this is the guy who once said, when Dan Patrick was going through a list of which sports figures contributed to which political parties, and it was pointed out that Jeannie Buss and Phil Jackson had donated to different parties, what's the big deal? It's not unusual for people who are romantically involved to have different political leanings. You know, the whole Mary Matalin-James Carville thing.

I don't know. Maybe some people can do that, but I doubt Keith could be really happy with someone whose deepest beliefs are that radically different from his. And I think it's the reason he's become downright vicious at times when commenting on/ridiculing Laura's behavior since then.

Shellysdc

Postby Shellysdc » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:37 pm

SIFriend wrote:

That's a good quote , but it's not mine.

My bad! I was rushing and quoted the wrong person! Sorry 'bout that.

Return to “2006”