This just in: Keith just bought another Alex Gordon card!

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2006 (2005 was accidently deleted)

This just in: Keith just bought another Alex Gordon card!

Postby Kathy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:41 pm

Hot news straight off of eBay:

I just happened to get on a short while ago and see what kind of Alex Gordon material was being auctioned off today. Mostly the auctions are of early-produced Wal-Mart boxes of Topps 2006 baseball cards that might or might not have an Alex Gordon card in them, and you will pay big money just to get one and hope it has one in there.

But every once in a while, someone who has actually pulled a card puts that up for auction. So, well, another auction of another Alex Gordon card just ended. The bidding got quite lively there toward the end. Then, with 13 seconds to go...from waaay downtown...BANG. Sold, for $1,575.01, to...well, I think we can guess!

I gotta hand it to Keith. He is an eBay sniper extraordinaire.

There's another one up for sale today too. Auction ends in about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Boy, the way Keith is going for these things, you'd think he was in a mad contest with Bill O'Reilly to grab up every last one!
...if you don't stick up for the freedom of all opinion, eventually the wheel will turn, you'll be the minority and you'll have written the rules by which you yourself are squashed. -- Keith Olbermann
Kathy

And this just in...Keith GOT BEAT!

Postby Kathy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:31 pm

Such a tragedy...

Sure enough, another Alex Gordon auction ended just seconds ago, but this time it looks as if Keith is knowing the pain of coming in second.

This one sold for $2,653. Keith's bid was a mere $50 shy.

Ohh, the pain, the shame!

Well, I guess this should be a lesson to us all. Unless you really want one of these cards for your own, and are willing to pay through the nose for it like he is, don't bet against Keith. Because master sniper though he is, you just might win!

Now, can anyone tell me where I can lay my hands on a quick $2,653? LOL.........
...if you don't stick up for the freedom of all opinion, eventually the wheel will turn, you'll be the minority and you'll have written the rules by which you yourself are squashed. -- Keith Olbermann
Kathy

Postby salome » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:23 pm

Yeah, well, he won one for $2602 just a few hours previous, so I'm sure his pain is only fleeting. ;)
salome

Postby NancyB » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:16 am

Dumb question but where did you find that out on ebay?
NancyB
Spaz

Postby salome » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:30 am

Not dumb at all!

[url=http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=merkle923&completed=1&all=1&rows=25&sort=3]Here![/url]
salome

Postby NancyB » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:02 am

Thank you Salome.

I don't bid a lot on ebay myself, unless its something i really want. The last thing I won was a Fleetwood Mac CD. Plus I make it a general rule not to go after anything over 20$ (Helps manage what money I do have)
NancyB
Spaz

Postby TimidOne » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:04 am

Pardon my ignorance, but why the interest in Alex Gordon?
"These times require more than a good soldier, they require a wise leader"
Senator Joe Biden - 8/23/08
TimidOne

Postby Slfriend79 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:11 am

Check out page 1 of the 'There's Collecting And There's Collecting' thread in this part of the forum. :popcorn:

It explains everything. :plantain
Last edited by Slfriend79 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way." - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor
Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby TimidOne » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:29 am

Thanks folks!

Apparently, prices for the 2006 Alex Gordon Topps card, issued in small quantity by mistake, have gone up 400% due in large part to none other than Keith:

Found this from an MLB site:

'It's crazy'
Minor leaguer's rookie card sells for $7,500 on eBay

Posted: Thursday May 11, 2006 7:30PM; Updated: Thursday May 11, 2006 10:57PM

While Topps tried to destroy them, about 100 Alex Gordon cards slipped into circulation.
AP

NEW YORK (AP) -- OK, so Alex Gordon's baseball card isn't as valuable as the 1909 Honus Wagner gem that sold for more than $1.2 million a few years ago.

But Gordon's card, which was mistakenly released in limited numbers by Topps, sold last week for $7,500 on Internet auction site eBay. Pretty impressive considering Gordon, a top Kansas City Royals prospect, is playing Double-A ball in Wichita, Kan.

"It's crazy," Gordon said Thursday. "I'm in shock at the price and still don't believe it.

"I think sometime soon I should give Topps a call and see if I can get one, just to put it in a frame."

Under Major League Baseball Players Association rules, Gordon's card should not be in circulation.

The former University of Nebraska star was the second pick in last year's Major League draft, and he didn't sign a contract until September. The rules say cardmakers can put out rookie cards only for players who make the 25-man opening-day roster or for those who played in at least one major league game the year before.

Topps spokesman Clay Luraschi said Gordon's card was ready to go this year just in case he made the Royals' 25-man roster. But the third baseman was assigned to Wichita, where he's batting .310 with seven home runs.

"We were anticipating," Luraschi said, "because we consider him a big prospect."

Topps tried to destroy the Gordon cards, cutting out his face from cards and breaking the printing plates. Still, about 100 slipped into circulation, Luraschi said.

"It's unfortunate it happened. It definitely has caused a lot of talk. But [the talk] is not necessarily a good thing for Topps, because now we have an incomplete set out there," Luraschi said.

A good number of the Gordon cards, coincidentally, were found at Wal-Mart stores in the Wichita area.

Jeremy Troutman, 30, of Wichita, said he found two of the cards in one pack he bought in March. So he decided to buy as many boxes as he could. A box costs $10 and contains 36 packs with 10 cards in each one.

Troutman bought 500 to 600 boxes. He opened about 100 of them and found five Gordon cards. He's sold another 100 boxes on eBay -- getting $30 to $40 for each one -- and has 300 more boxes sitting in his basement.

Troutman, who works for a natural gas company, has netted $5,700 on the five Gordon cards, breaking even on his cash outlay. He figures to be in the black after he sells the remaining boxes of cards.

He said it's tempting to open some of those boxes to see whether there is another Gordon card among them that could bring him thousands of dollars.

"If only I had X-ray vision," he said.

Darrell Jolley of Rochester, N.Y., said he paid $1,700 for a Gordon card and almost immediately put it on eBay. As of Thursday, bidding was at $3,000, with the auction closing Sunday.

Jolley, a certified public accountant, said he doubts many of the people looking for Gordon cards plan to keep them.

"People are collecting it just to flip it and make a quick profit," Jolley said. "You pull it out of a pack you bought for $2 and then you can sell it for $3,000. Obviously, you're going to put it on there as quick as you can."

That's just what Thomas Cutter did. The middle school teacher from Round Rock, Texas, bought a $3 "rack pack" -- a pack of cards with a see-through cover -- with the Gordon card on top. He sold it Wednesday night for $5,899.

"Whenever I think of Alex Gordon from now on, I'm going to think of all those credit cards I paid off," Cutter said.

Gordon said he collected baseball cards as a kid and understands there are people who cherish them as collectors' items.

But $7,500 for his rookie card? That buyer remains anonymous.

"If it was me, I wouldn't do it," said Gordon, who got a $4 million signing bonus. "Some people like to collect those things, and it means a lot to them, so I'm glad those people are out there."

Scott Neal, owner of the Baseball Card Store in Shawnee, Kan., says the card is popular despite the fact Gordon plays in the struggling Royals organization.

"Anything 'Royals' is very unpopular," Neal said. "The fact he's Alex Gordon and the No. 2 pick, that's the novelty. If he played for the Yankees, it would be worth three times as much."

[url=http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/baseball/mlb/05/11/gordon.card.ap/Gordon.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/05/11/gordon.card.ap/&h=410&w=300&sz=41&tbnid=cdKfqKhbRK0DnM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=88&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAlex%2BGordon%2BTopps%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN]LINK[/url]
"These times require more than a good soldier, they require a wise leader"
Senator Joe Biden - 8/23/08
TimidOne

Postby salome » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:33 am

NEW YORK (AP) -- OK, so Alex Gordon's baseball card isn't as valuable as the 1909 Honus Wagner gem that sold for more than $1.2 million a few years ago.

Keith has mentioned before that he has one of these... I wonder how much he ended up paying for it.
salome

Postby Kathy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:52 pm

salome wrote:

Keith has mentioned before that he has one of these... I wonder how much he ended up paying for it.

Don't know off the top, but I think it was less than the million that a guy paid at one time for one of them that Wayne Gretzky used to own. It could be that his isn't as pristine as that one. Anyway, something tells me that while the Wagners seem to change hands every few years if not more frequently--it's like people are "renting" them rather than "buying" them--Keith's never going to give his up.

As for what you said about Keith having bought an Alex Gordon earlier in the day...isn't it hilarious? I noticed that last night yet another of the "blank" Gordons with only the gold printing went up on the block. Sounds like another $10K out of KO's wallet to me...

I look at it this way. It's fun following the auctions and seeing how many ordinary, average, lucky working people are now able to pay off their credit card bills, thanks to the First Bank of Keith! Or start that college fund for the kids..."Yes, my child is going to college on an "Olbermann Scholarship"...Back when he was born, I made $10K selling Keith Olbermann an Alex Gordon rookie card. I put it in an interest-bearing college fund account, and NOW look how much I have for tuition! Thanks, Keith!"
Kathy

Return to 2006