December - 'Football Night In America' / 'Half Time Report'

Keith Olbermann Stuff From 2007 and Earlier
Slfriend79
Site Admin

December - 'Football Night In America' / 'Half Time Report'

Postby Slfriend79 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:08 pm

Let's hope tonight is as good as it was last week. :wink:
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: December - 'Football Night In America' / 'Half Time Report'

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:16 pm

LOL, 12 minutes into the show and they're at it already!

Okay -- Keith and Collingsworth: who's giving who noogies when they meet off-screen?

:LMAO

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:08 pm

Collingsworth, all alone in the bar at Halftime. He looked like the Maytag Repairman of network TV!

-Marie-

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:19 pm

Marie wrote:Collingsworth, all alone in the bar at Halftime. He looked like the Maytag Repairman of network TV!

-Marie-

Him sitting all alone in that Bar was priceless. :LMAO :happy :LMAO
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:29 pm

Football Night 12-9

Let's see, I think I can say this 10 times real fast --
Flea flicker fumble
Flea flicker fumble
Flea flicker fumble
Flea flicker fumble
Flea flicker fumble
Flea flicker fumble
Flea flicker fumble
Flea flicker fumble
Flea flicker fumble
Flea flicker fumble!

Hey, I'm good!!!

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:44 am

Tonight's KEITH OLBERMANN REPORT (TKO):

- - -
IT FIRST APPEARS in a description of a football game... in 1896. And we have taken it so for granted that it has gradually seeped into every day language.

We use it when children are overwhelming, or just life is, as the very definition of a safe moment of pause, a calming interlude, a stoppage in which no harm can befall any of us.

So how in the world did the time out become NFL self-destruction? When did we enter the time out twilight zone?

Mike Shanahan of the Denver Broncos did this. It was he, in week two, who started all it. Before him, the worst you could do with a time out was get a kicker to over-think a field goal. But Shanahan saw something darker. Play chicken with the clock, call the time out before the kick was up but after the play had started, and you could heighten the kicker's pain.

And yet, as an old colleague of mine used to say, just because dad has the power tools out, that doesn't mean the kids get to play with them. Joe Gibbs had to one-up the 'time out freeze' -- he had to call back-to-back time outs, and unknowingly break a rule against it, giving Buffalo not a 51-yard field goal to make, but a 36 yarder.

And then came the fiasco from which the Ravens are still recovering tonight: a time out, called by the defensive coordinator who didn't have the right to call it, and given by an official who correctly was not required to check the timer-outer's written authorization. Instead of stopping Tom Brady on a sneak on a crucial 4th-and-one, there was no play -- the Ravens had called a time out.

The time of the good time out is out. The out-of-control time out is in.

How do we resolve it -- give the head coach a giant time out card to raise above his head? A buzzer wired directly to the ref's kiester?

I'm sorry, I'm out of time.
- - -

-Marie-

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:31 pm

Football Night 12-16 --

ROSEBUD.

[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/Lin-Mar/2nd1000/rosebud-globe.jpg[/img]

-Marie-

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:40 pm

DARN!!! :x

I was hoping they would let Keith do the Cleveland Highlights instead of Bob :-( .

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Football Night, 12-23 --

KO got Collinsworth SO BAD! :P

(Gives new meaning to the phrase "Keeping TABS"!)

And Keith got to mention one of his fave movies again -- said Cris looked "like Moocher from 'Breaking Away'," back when he was playing football.

-Marie-

Lauralu

Postby Lauralu » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:33 pm

Good! Collinsworth is such a dick. Did I hear correctly after he opened his "Tab" he said, "Now back to the jerks." Referring to Keith and Bob? I rarely watch anything football related but was flipping around and saw KO and Costas. I've got about 45 minutes before the outlaws get here and my peace and quiet is a gonner.

Marie, what did Keith say to Collinsworth? My husband can't stand him either. I had never even laid eyes on him before today. Jerk.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:45 pm

LOL, it was great, Laura! I'll describe it more detail after the show. Don't you watch Football Night? If you've been missing it, check out the vids on the NBC Sports website. Keith is too much fun on there!

-Marie-

Lauralu

Postby Lauralu » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:55 pm

I'll check it out Marie. Thanks! I've got childhood issues related to football. My dad was an absolute fanatic, he'd watch every game all day long, and since we only got to see him weekends and holidays, I felt kind of jilted by all the games. His mood would also depend upon who won or lost. It turned me off of football in a very deep way. Guess I don't need to see a shrink to figure that one out :P

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:15 pm

I sympathize with you, Laura. There's a definite "football effect" in some families, I've read. Some guys get so pumped that they can become violent during and immediately after a game. And like you said, some fans identify so closely that their moods are tied to their teams' victories and losses.

My family were loyal football fans (shivered up in the stands with their thermos of coffee) but they didn't see it as anything but a game.

Incidentally, I never cared much for sports. Guess I had the stereotype of the dumb irresponsible athlete in my head because those are the only ones you hear about; but my respect for Keith and his respect for sports has made me take another look. Thinking maybe I've been missing something all these years, and trying to get up to speed now. It's not easy because there's so much to know in order to understand what's going on, but I'm making an effort.

-Marie-
Last edited by Marie on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:24 pm

I KNEW IT [smilie=redcolorz3_pdt_11.gif] ...I KNEW IT [smilie=redcolorz3_pdt_11.gif]...Collinsworth always seemed to have the 'Tab Cola' look on his Face. Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_38

Great 'Investigative Reporting' on KO's part [smilie=redcolorz3_pdt_19.gif] to bring this ugly issue [smilie=redcolorz3_pdt_05.gif] into the light. [smilie=redcolorz3_pdt_02.gif]

:LMAO :lol: :LMAO ...I was laughing so hard :happy through that bit I almost woke up the Hubby napping in the 'Lazy Boy' Recliner. :zzz

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:47 pm

The thing of it is, SL, Cris looked like the LAST person who needed a Tab! Wasn't that a diet drink? And he was so skeeny! Maybe that's how he got that way. Looked more like a basketball player, actually.

Anyway, Laura, what happened was, Costas announced before the commercial break that KO had a surprise for somebody, he didn't say who. But then they ran a pre-taped promo, all in rhyme, mentioning a little giftie for Cris. After the break Keith did his TKO as an investigative piece, as SL noted. He went back and found this bit from the late '70s, looked like. Cris had a crush on the girl in the Tab commercial, so the network flew her up to meet him. He was so nervous -- they showed him pacing and trying to reassure himself that everything would work out fine.

Okay, so another guy is walking her over to meet Cris and he asks if she follows football and has she ever heard of Cris Collinsworth, and she says, well, actually no. Not sounding real pomising so far. The guy even gives her a footbal jersey with the number 80 on it to put on, and she looks spectacular in it because it sort of looks like it's all she has on.

When at last the two meet, "Moochie" shows the girl his Super Bowl ring, and she says that's real nice and responds by showing him her ENGAGEMENT RING! So Mooch is crestfallen. And to add to his pain, she takes off the jersey, tosses it to him, and wishes him "good luck."

That's when they returned to the studio. Keith finished up and turned it over to the players' table -- where Bus gave Cris a Tab. :cry:

-Marie-

Return to “2007”