The media reaps what it sows

Anything Progressive, Radio or Television: Rachel Maddow, Randi Rhodes, The Daily Show ,The Colbert Report, Real Time, Bill Maher
dnkoa

The media reaps what it sows

Postby dnkoa » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Peeked into cable news coverage of the election today, and what a pathetic circle jerk. "Oh my god, how could we be soooo out of touch? Please understand real Americans, we feel your pain. Now let's come together to talk to each other as Americans"

Blah. Blah. Blah. Look, guys you weren't out of touch with the Trump phenomenon, you built him brick by brick and day by day. He was ratings gold. And you LOVED that he never talked about anything real because that's the kind of airtime filler you like best: a whole lot of talk about nothing.

But it was all fun and games until Trump actually has power. And now they're trying to look for redemption from their viewers that they weren't smug and insular. Can't have your precious egos offended can we. And they're still not saying a word as to what President Trump is actually going to do. The most unqualified and oldest President in American history is about to have power over the livelihood and security of every American, and we're supposed to just "wait and see what happens." Is that all you have to say for yourselves?

Hope you saw some of that $2 billion, because Trump doesn't need you suckers anymore. He'll probably set up his own Pravda network streamed straight to Breitbart. And then you guys can mope around on your sets wondering why President Trump doesn't talk to you.

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: The media reaps what it sows

Postby Marie » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:09 am

dnkoa, you've described my exasperation and disgust toward the media's campaign period performance perfectly.

We have a country facing many challenges, which might have made for an exciting conversation leading up to the election; but what did we get?--sensationalistic reports about crotch-grabbing on the one hand, and on the other, a shameless 625-day public undressing-by-email.

The media knew they were doing wrong the whole time, you could see it on the faces of these j-school graduates who had entered the profession full of high ideals but found themselves consigned to chasing scandals and rumors.

What a pathetic display. Their malfeasance over the past two years of campaign coverage can be seen in what it ultimately produced -- yet they are still stubbornly refusing to admit that their selection of stories to serve their own maddening "narratives" influenced the outcome!*

And as to the media's butt hurt over their exclusion from Trump's entourage since his election: I remember my husband's comment to the effect that Trump was the one candidate who would marginalize the press if elected. And he's not a prophet -- just a perceptive human being who can detect underlying themes in the rhetoric!

-Marie-
*Exemplified by the disgraced Karen Tumulty's two-sentence post-election summation. Pilate, washing his hands.
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dnkoa

Postby dnkoa » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:40 pm

I love Lawrence, but honestly he's on my shitlist for smugly reporting every night that he knew Trump was faking his candidacy, followed by reporting he obviously going to lose. Stuff like that undoubtedly contributed to voter apathy.

The shit's about to get real for a lot of beltway folks who thought everything was fun and games. They'll have to look their gay, Latino, and Muslim friends in the eye. I feel really bad for Rachel. She was emotional reporting the past LGBT conversion therapy policies of Mike Pence. The first VP to declare support for same-sex marriage is now replaced by the most homophobic VP ever. Even Cheney loved his daughter more than that. Jonathan Capehart also had a poignant moment in which he choked up reflected that it was the first time in his life as an openly gay black man that progress was actually about to be set back.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:58 am

Wonderful Joy Reid (who, through it all, strived mightily to redeem her profession) Twitter thread on what the election really signified:

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/8 ... 5803719680

I can't believe how she and a couple of others can be so perceptive, while most of her colleagues just continue chanting the same inanities. How hard can it be to understand what happened?

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “Progressive Media”