New Michael Moore film exhibits challengingly optimistic approach

Anything Progressive, Radio or Television: Rachel Maddow, Randi Rhodes, The Daily Show ,The Colbert Report, Real Time, Bill Maher
Marie
Certified Fan

New Michael Moore film exhibits challengingly optimistic approach

Postby Marie » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:00 am

Timed to premier simultaneously with the official opening of the 2016 presidential campaign -- the Iowa Caucuses -- this movie is meant to spark important political discussions, as his earlier films have done. But the tone is more upbeat this time.

EXCERPT from Salon.com article:
MICHAEL MOORE has been a constant innovator in political comedy, so it is no surprise that he has hatched a creative marketing plan to draw as much attention to his new film as he can.

But it isn’t just the stunts that will make the film socially significant; it’s the actual film itself. “Where to Invade Next” begins with the observation that the United States has not won a war since World War II. It then comically imagines the Department of Defense calling on Moore to step in and save our nation.

His plan? Invade nations not to take them over, but to take their good ideas.

READ the complete article here: http://www.salon.com/2015/12/25/michael ... ggest_lie/

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dnkoa

Re: New Michael Moore film exhibits challengingly optimistic approach

Postby dnkoa » Sun May 15, 2016 10:40 pm

Saw it. It is an inspiring film. I have a few nitpicks, like how Moore doesn't really address the right-wing (and outright Nazi) sentiments that are festering in France, Italy, and Germany. He hints at that a little talking about Anders Breivik's terrorist attack in Norway, but you would think from the film that he was an isolated lone wolf. Also, Silvio Berlusconi in Italy isn't a lot different than if Trump gets elected here.

But I liked cultural things he highlighted like the value of leisure time, nutrition in schools, paid maternity leave, and a prison system that wants to reform criminals rather than treat them like animals.

Marie
Certified Fan

Re: New Michael Moore film exhibits challengingly optimistic approach

Postby Marie » Mon May 16, 2016 7:58 am

dnkoa wrote:But I liked cultural things he highlighted like the value of leisure time, nutrition in schools, paid maternity leave, and a prison system that wants to reform criminals rather than treat them like animals.

Another sign of the resurgent new liberal era I keep noticing.

In the previous liberal era, we were getting close to understanding what creates criminals and how to prevent it. Now there's all this new research about brain plasticity that could really help turn a corner on that. It's there for recent generations of psychologists and social workers to get excited about applying. But first comes the realization that things don't have to be the way they are (a distinctly liberal point of view that contrasts with conservative fatalism).

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Return to “Progressive Media”