MSNBC Dumped Cenk At 6PM

Anything Progressive, Radio or Television: Rachel Maddow, Randi Rhodes, The Daily Show ,The Colbert Report, Real Time, Bill Maher
Slfriend79
Site Admin

MSNBC Dumped Cenk At 6PM

Postby Slfriend79 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Cenk Uygur Out At MSNBC

By DAVID LIEBERMAN, Executive Editor | Wednesday July 20, 2011 @ 5:57pm

Cenk Uygur's run at MSNBC sure was short. The news network says that it has "decided to make a change" at 6:00 PM ET, the time slot when since January Uygur has hosted MSNBC Live. "It's unfortunate that Cenk has declined our offer to have him develop and host a program for another time slot," MSNBC adds. The Turkish American radio talk show host plans to hold a teleconference with the press on Thursday where, the invitation says, he will "boldly discuss his departure from MSNBC." The change comes amid reports that MSNBC may turn the time slot over to controversial civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton who generated decent ratings filling in for Uygur while he was on vacation.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/cenk-uy ... -at-msnbc/
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

JackieD1983

Re: MSNBC Dumped Cenk At 6PM

Postby JackieD1983 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Not surprised at all.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Slfriend79 wrote:
The Turkish American radio talk show host plans to hold a teleconference with the press on Thursday where, the invitation says, he will "boldly discuss his departure from MSNBC."

Whoa! Sounds like Cenk has a few things to get off his chest!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Marie wrote:
Slfriend79 wrote:
The Turkish American radio talk show host plans to hold a teleconference with the press on Thursday where, the invitation says, he will "boldly discuss his departure from MSNBC."

Whoa! Sounds like Cenk has a few things to get off his chest!

I'm sure :-k , Like...Phil Griffin's An Asshat! :evil:
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:29 am

Well, we won't have long to wait for Cenk's editorial comments. Keith tweets that he'll be a Special Guest on Countdown tonight!

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

RareBird
Certified Fan

Postby RareBird » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:31 am

God damn it. This really pisses me off. What could be the problem now? Cenk was doing a great job and won me over big time. But OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's outta there already. I can only suspect that he was too effective and somehow the right has enough sway somewhere to cut him out. Cenk surely Cenk must have some appeal to a youthful audience and potential to capture way more of that demographic than tire-ass old Al Sharpton. I can't see this being a make-sense "business decision" in any way shape of form. I know damn well that a lot of people see Sharpton and change the channel. Even I did when I first saw him in for Ed. I'm a NYer and was through that whole Tawana Brawley thing where is he had an ounce of credibility, he blew it. I have managed to forgive but I can't forget. If Sharpton is to have a TV show, it should be constructed with the kind of looseness his manner works in. But he's not the kind of guy that is up and attem five days a week at 6PM. And it's not even close. What kind of assholes are running MSNBC anyway? Gimme a break.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 am

RareBird wrote:What kind of assholes are running MSNBC anyway?

How many kinds are there, really? They vary by size, of course, but that's about the only variation I can think of...

-Marie-

RareBird
Certified Fan

Postby RareBird » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:18 am

I guaran-godamn-tee it that sponsors are behind this. It doesn't make sense in any other way. The don't want to lose whatever brand cereal or w/e and have therefore taken to sticking Michael Steel in nearly every show to defend the indefensible and repeat the party line as if none of us know what that is. If anyone understands the concept of "media compartmentalization" at MS NBC then they have to know this move will not buy them any new viewers and will drive away some who were formerly loyal. I just happy to say that I'm switching to FIOS next week from Cox cable so I can get "Current". I hope Current can penetrate--get some decent non-interfering sponsors and deliver what MS NBC once promised.

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:34 am

As I said before...Phil Griffin's An Asshat! :evil:

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:48 am

Michael wrote:I have no idea if a Twitter campaign would work, but I just tweeted:

@KeithOlbermann Current could expand its news coverage easily and cheaply by simply broadcasting "The Young Turks" first hour.

And I Re-Tweeted it. :wink:

dnkoa

Postby dnkoa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:31 am

Keith's got himself a top candidate for his 9:00 P.M show (although an attractive young woman would be a nice tonic from the usual middle aged suit and tie guy).

I'm upset more than Cenk leaving about Rev Al taking his place. He's a mediocre host at best, and drags in his past crap. Bring in someone like Sam Seder or Ron Reagan

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:42 am

dnkoa wrote:Keith's got himself a top candidate for his 9:00 P.M show (although an attractive young woman would be a nice tonic from the usual middle aged suit and tie guy). . . .

Yeah, when's Rachel's contract up over there at 30 Rock? :wink:

Then he could have Cenk as his lead-in and Rachel on right after.

Btw, Keith hints here that he's working up an AM show to compete w/ Morning Jo(k)e. :-)

-Marie-

Rich C

Postby Rich C » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:44 am

Well it looks like I won't be watching MSNBC anymore. Since Keith left back in January, I started watching Cenk at 6 being that it I am a fan of The Young Turks. I did continue to watch Rachel, Lawrence (at his new time) and Ed (at his new time) although not daily. However, based on "same old, same old" news stories I gradually stopped watching MSNBC shows except Cenk. Then when Keith's show on Current premiered I just started watching him. With Cenk gone (and Al Sharpton is not doing it for me), there is no reason to watch MSNBC again.

I hope Current does give Cenk his own show and he can do this out of home base of Los Angeles and still do Young Turks.

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Just read this from a HuffPo article on the story. [smilie=redcolorz3_pdt_02.gif]

During a press conference on Thursday, Uygur said that Current TV has "reached out" to him about a potential role on the network, but that there have been no formal discussions yet. He will be a guest on Keith Olbermann's Thursday show.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/2 ... 05415.html

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:36 pm

I think the unimaginative types in NBC management are looking for known quantities - which Sharpton is. He may not be the most or least penetrating intellect or polished performer. The point is, what you see is pretty much what you get with Al.

Not so with people like Keith and Cenk. You don't always know where they're going to come down on every issue in every instance, or what they're going to say. That always scares corporate types, who like everything to be nice and predictable, and most of all for their "product" to be consistent.

Rachel says she has the network's assurance that they won't interfere with where she wants to take a story, but Keith had the same promises early on in the network's recent development into a "liberal" alternative to Fox. He was a good fit for what they were trying to do then (ironically, to create a format out of the success of his individuality!) Now that they've been accepted into the cable news big leagues they prefer surface excitement, with any tendencies toward independence tightly controlled.

I can see Rachel being kept on past the point where the network feels comfortable with her, like Keith was, because of her superior broadcasting and communication skills. But as with Keith and Cenk, her unwillingness to be "harnessed" must eventually lead to a parting of the ways. And she knows who's waiting for her with open arms when that moment occurs!

-Marie-

Return to “Progressive Media”