Commander-in-Chief forum tonight, Wed. 9/7/2016

Anything Progressive, Radio or Television: Rachel Maddow, Randi Rhodes, The Daily Show ,The Colbert Report, Real Time, Bill Maher
Marie
Certified Fan

Commander-in-Chief forum tonight, Wed. 9/7/2016

Postby Marie » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:36 pm

NBC/MSNBC simulcast
8pm

Be there. Aloha.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Shellysdc

Re: Commander-in-Chief forum tonight, Wed. 9/7/2016

Postby Shellysdc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi!

I'm assuming this is a preview of the debates. I was at work late and I missed it, so how was it?
Make the most of every day. You never know what to expect.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:00 pm

Shellysdc wrote:Hi!

I'm assuming this is a preview of the debates. I was at work late and I missed it, so how was it?

It was pretty good! They each had 1/2-hour. Hillary went first. They took Qs from both the audience of veterans and from Matt Lauer.

Trump lied his ass off.

Hillary did well; appeared to be thinking through the questions very hard.

Undoubtedly they'll be re-airing the debate and followup analysis throughout the night, so you should get another opportunity (or two! :-)

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

Shellysdc

Postby Shellysdc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Cool! I was on FB a few minutes ago and my cousin said Matt was being harder on asking questions to Hillary than Trumpy Dumpy (which is no surprise), and the whole concept of the forum by NBC was, in her words, a fail. Nonetheless, I'll check it out when I get a chance. Thanks!

:grin:
Make the most of every day. You never know what to expect.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:32 pm

You're welcome, I think you'll find it interesting.

There was one point where Trump shocked the hell out of everybody, including the military members present. He said that during one of the security briefings he's been getting, the CIA folks signaled to him "through their body language" that Obama & Clinton & Kerry never paid any attention to what these experts told them.

After the debate, stupid Andrea Mitchel reacted with, "Well, you can be sure the administration is going to be asked about THIS!" But most of the other people on the panel had the right reaction, namely, that there would be consternation within the group of professionals doing the briefings, and what would they say to Trump the next time they met with him!??? (I wouldn't wanna be him, would you? 8-[ ) If you see some lumps upside Trump's head after the next briefing, you won't need to ask how or why he got them!

The first rule of security briefings = the first rule of Fight Club.

-Marie-

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:54 pm

I missed it, other than some clips posted on facebook, but it seems Matt Lauer is being pretty universally panned as a moderator. Too bad it wasn't Rachel. THAT would have been something to see! :popcorn:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:56 pm

dejapig wrote:I missed it, other than some clips posted on facebook, but it seems Matt Lauer is being pretty universally panned as a moderator. Too bad it wasn't Rachel. THAT would have been something to see! :popcorn:

She was the natural choice, given her knowledge of military matters. Plus they respect her.

There's a new hashtag on Twitter since last night, BTW: #LaueringTheBar.

-Marie-

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:57 pm

:lol:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Marie
Certified Fan

Commander-in-Chief forum revisited: Agonizin' reappraisal

Postby Marie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:31 am

Wow -- judging from this article by Will Bunch, Lauer's treatment of the first woman candidate and NBC's executive-level sexist attitude is starting to come into clearer focus:

IN HINDSIGHT, we probably shouldn’t be shocked that Matt Lauer’s new boss and protector didn’t seem to think that allegations that powerful men are sexual predators was much of a story. So when MSNBC’s Ronan Farrow uncovered powerful evidence — even a New York police tape recording — documenting the crimes of Hollywood mogul Weinstein, Lack and his minions kept sending it back for more reporting and finally told Farrow to take it somewhere else.

When NBC News got its hands on Donald Trump’s explosive Access Hollywood tape in which he bragged about his predatory behavior, the network dithered until it was finally leaked to the Washington Post. Meanwhile, it’s become increasingly clear that the candidacy of the first woman to win a major party’s presidential nomination was covered and often dismissed by men who held Neanderthal — and that’s being charitable — views toward how women in general should be treated.

None worse than now-accused predator Mark Halperin, a pundit whose dim views of Hillary Clinton and his barely disguised admiration for Trump’s machismo often turned up on NBC News’ cable outlet, MSNBC; Halperin once wrote that Clinton was “[p]rideful, aggrieved, confused  —  and still high on the notion she was leading an army, Napoleon in a navy pantsuit and gumball-sized fake pearls.”

Clinton was a major-party nominee and career politician who deserved tough, critical news coverage — and God knows she got it. But there’s a difference between investigative reporting and sexist dismissiveness, and the latter flourished in the key final weeks of the Clinton-Trump showdown.

It was at the most pivotal moment when NBC News put its compromised star Lauer front and center, moderating a nationally televised “Commander-in-Chief Forum” on the Intrepid carrier parked off Manhattan in September 2016.

The night is remembered as one where Lauer repeatedly let Trump off the hook — declining, for example, to press the then-GOP nominee on blatant inconsistencies on whether he’d opposed the war in Iraq (he hadn’t) — while seemingly determined to make Clinton uncomfortable on stage. He interrupted the Democratic candidate and on more than one occasion urged her to answer a query “as briefly as you can” — discourtesies that were not shown to Trump.

“Lauer interrupted Clinton’s answers repeatedly to move on. Not once for Trump,” the political analyst Norman Ornstein wrote. “Tough to be a woman running for president.” Indeed. The performance by Lauer, amplified by the likes of Halperin and like-minded pundits on the other channels, spread a misogynistic fog that only grew thicker in the final days of the election, making it easy for voters to buy into a flood of “fake news” about Clinton and to write off Trump’s Access Hollywood scandal, much as Lack and his NBC minions had dismissed Trump’s sexual abuse in the first place.

Today, the fog is finally lifting (with Trump ensconced in the White House) and the subtle and not-so-subtle impact of patriarchal journalism on the American body politic is becoming clear — a type of sexual harassment, if you will, toward the information-seeking American news viewer. So let’s not be so naive to think that Lauer’s firing — or similar actions against his former CBS morning-news counterpart Charlie Rose, or Halperin and the others — is a satisfactory conclusion. This should be a jumping-off point for a complete rewiring of the media infrastructure (and not just TV, but newspapers, websites, etc., etc.) so that women aren’t only reporting the news (which many are doing very, very well) but making the actual decisions in the corner offices of the newsrooms.

The paucity of women TV news-division presidents (really, CBS? None? Ever?) and females in other key executive positions is not only a national disgrace, but it has had real consequences on how we get our news, the news (like Harvey Weinstein and Donald Trump) that we didn’t get, and, ultimately, who gets elected.

-Will Bunch, "How Matt Lauer's NBC sexually harassed America's TV viewers, and our politics"; The Philadelphia Inquirer, 11/30/2017

-Marie-

Return to “Progressive Media”