Why I Won't Watch Countdown

Keith Olbermann related topics. This Forum combines all Olbermann threads from KeithOlbermann.Org. KO.O.
politicaljunkie3

Why I Won't Watch Countdown

Postby politicaljunkie3 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:00 pm

After two long years of watching Countdown day after day, not missing one episode at all, I think something has gotten into this man.

For me, his decline started with the McChrystal Special Comment. Since then, he has gone down hill, especially, on Twitter. :x

I don't know what is wrong with him, now, and I'm not sure I want to know. Whether it's the fans he has on Twitter making him think he is by far superior to everyone, or if he just needs a vacation. But, what he has done... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Two days ago, I asked him if he could follow me. Not a strange request, is it? Anyhow, it turns out I misused the word "protege" in a sentence, and for that, he blocked me, and gave a rather rude reply:

http://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/18091050727

Well, whatever you think of that, it hurts when you've been watching 2 years straight. So I posted about this on Twitter, and I got many replies that I am sure are similar to what went through your head when you read that Tweet.

:lol: :lol:

Yes, yes. Some said it was a teaching moment, and I heard that so much that night, that I started to believe it.

And then I did believe it.

But it wasn't until the night after that one of my Twitter friends who he did start following, got unfollowed along with a very nasty message, apparently saying she is crazy. It was a DM, so I don't have a link.

It reminded me of this bundle of joy, you might remember:

http://bit.ly/boBG5o

Anyhow, I will get all my TV news from Rachel from now on. She is someone who clearly respects her fans more than Keith.
:!: :?: :!:

Hi Keith!
Last edited by politicaljunkie3 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Re: Why I Won't Watch Countdown

Postby keithaddict » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Other than entertainment and conservative-bashing I highly doubt you'll miss much of value by tuning in only to TRMS. And since entertainment and conservative-bashing doesn't exactly qualify as news per se, I highly doubt you'll miss anything of value at all. I can admit to myself now that I watch Countdown purely for the entertainment. Keith is good for making one feel like they're not alone in the political universe, but that's about it. He doesn't mind raking in the millions to insult people every night. Hell, I probably wouldn't either. But he obviously has either no desire or no ability to change the political landscape, which I do honestly believe he has the power and position to do if he wanted. He doesn't seem to want to exhibit the self-control necessary to do so, and though my two bits of inter-webs psycho-analysis isn't worth much I think he feels like he's gotten fans doing what he's always done so he shouldn't or couldn't change it. Or maybe he just uses that as an excuse to continue to use his hour of political commentary to vent his emotions instead of something more useful. But enough wild speculation. When it comes to talking to celebrities (or non-celebrities since most of my heroes I've gotten the chance to talk to are in obscure metal bands) I'm always about to shake apart, so I can only imagine how you felt after getting that message from Keith. He shouldn't be so casual about insulting and banning someone who obviously is an honest fan. That definitely shows some arrogance to me, and it sucks to see that Keith is that kind of celebrity rather than the down-to-earth, friendly-even-if-they-have-to-force-it-a-little kind. I would've been absolutely crushed! I'm still a nightly viewer but I can't blame you at all for giving Countdown one less of those.
"Debating [Brooklyn] Billy is a bit like pissing in the wind-sure you can technically do it...but what's the point?" - Philbert

"I take my role as a troll very seriously, a good part of that job is to be irritating." - Brooklyn Billy

http://www.dailykos.com/user/ProgressivePatriotPA/

http://www.twitter.com/progpatriotpa/

politicaljunkie3

Postby politicaljunkie3 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

ColonelKernel

Postby ColonelKernel » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Before I share a few comments I want to ask what you first said to Keith Olbermann? You've protected your tweets, so no one knows what it was.

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:26 pm

I don't think Keith did anything wrong. I think you just blew his Tweet out of proportion.

As to why your friend was unfollowed, KO answered that.

http://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/18232339843

He didn't block her, he just unfollowed her.
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

MichelleR.

Postby MichelleR. » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:31 pm

When I was a teen, I wrote to a local DJ with a political talk show. He read the letter on the air. He laughed because I'd mentioned I'd made positive to spell his name correctly, but I'd misspelled the word positive. I blushed and then I called the show and he said he thought it was cute. Anyhow, I know what it's like to want to be an adult and then make a mistake that makes you feel like a kid. You obviously are intelligent, but you misused a word and he joked with you. You had the option to take it like an adult and send one response, if any, acknowledging it. It didn't have to be a thing. You used a word a lot of kids your age would not know at all, and you got it a little backwards -- and now you know the correct definition. You should be ahead of the game and instead this is ... a thing.

What's happening on Twitter now is that a lot of adults who don't like the guy are trying to make this something it wasn't and catering to the part of you that had your pride bruised in order to fuel this. You say you've been a fan for two years and so I imagine you know the tricks that people with an agenda play. You said it was a teachable moment and then decided it wasn't because he unfollowed someone. What does one have to do with the other? Either you learned something or you didn't and the fact that a busy man unfollowed someone due to a private message is completely separate.

What you do from here is your decision, but success isn't just brains, but also maturity. I can tell you have ambition and wish to do well, but until your emotional maturity is developed you'll be hindered. When you get that together, you'll be a force with which to be reckoned. Or something like that. :)
Last edited by MichelleR. on Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:00 am

I read a portion of Keith's Twitter exchanges earlier and I have to say I completely agree w/ MichelleR, above.

Good grief, PJ, all this tsuris has confused Keith enough to drive him off Twitter for the foreseeable future! You're dealing with someone who really cares and he can't figure out how to make you happy. What is it you specifically want? It will help if you can pinpoint it -- and then realize, he's probably already done it.

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Postby keithaddict » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:08 am

I don't know crap about twitter or what goes on in the twitter-community, but if someone sends a fan "letter" to Keith asking to be followed on a social networking site but misusing a word it seems a more honorable approach would've been to correct the person and then follow them (since it's obviously a fan and not someone being a random douche). Insulting them and then banning them is just rude, to be euphemistic. I don't know what the original message to Keith was so my opinion on this doesn't amount to a hill of beans but if it went how the original poster said it did I think Keith's reaction was unnecessary to say the least, no matter who is using or misusing the event for their own advantage.
"Debating [Brooklyn] Billy is a bit like pissing in the wind-sure you can technically do it...but what's the point?" - Philbert

"I take my role as a troll very seriously, a good part of that job is to be irritating." - Brooklyn Billy

keithaddict
Certified Fan

Postby keithaddict » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:41 am

Haha wow I looked at Keith's twitter page for the first time since it opened I think, and I have to say I'm surprised at how much this event seems to have taken over. I guess I can't help but feel a little bad for Keith since I watch the bastard on the boob-tube 5 nights a week, but wouldn't this all have been avoided if Keith had simply opted to not be a random douche? I'd really like to see what the original message was and if it might have seemed questionable whether or not it was coming from actual fan. Without that it's really hard to gauge the situation. If Keith was just being an asshole I think any harsh reaction is deserved. You didn't have to block the person and make fun of them, especially if you knew they were a fan (who looks up to you as a celebrity). I can't even articulate what I think that says about someone's character. But there are unanswered questions.

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:19 am

keithaddict wrote:I'd really like to see what the original message was and if it might have seemed questionable whether or not it was coming from actual fan. Without that it's really hard to gauge the situation. . . .

That's exactly right. And if Keith received a tweet from an anonymous person asking Keith to follow him because (the tweeter explains) he is KO's mentor and Keith is his protege, he'd no doubt suspect the person was a troll. Standing alone, the tweet would sound like the kind of condescending "Keith, let me educate you" insults he gets from right-wingers all the time -- so he probably thought he was replying in kind. (If the tweet is interpreted as an insult, then "Look up protege" means "That's okay, you don't need to look for any proteges here.")

Unfortunately, what this has turned into on Twitter is an opportunity for a lot of Keith-haters to chime in on a conversation they weren't privy to. But when has THAT ever been a problem for malicious gossips? [-(

-Marie-
You find out what someone is really like in "battle," and Olbermann is who you want to be in a foxhole with, Patrick said. "On the air, we had each others' backs," said Olbermann.
-David Goetzl: "Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick still brothers long after ESPN's 'Big Show'"; MediaPost blog, 4-6-2012

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:50 am

First of all, welcome to the forum, MichelleR and ColonelKernel. :wave

What a commotion! Full disclosure, I have a twitter account but rarely use it and don't really know all of the ins and outs of using it. I see where it can be useful and entertaining, then there are situations like this one.

Now knowing the original tweet prompting Keith's response, I don't think his reply was that of a "random douche" (as per keithaddict). Protege/mentor was misused, as noted in Keith's reply. Keith is a wordsmith; something like that would be important to him. His reply wasn't particularly sensitive to the feelings and intentions of the original tweeter, but can one really expect fully realized "relationships" in 140 characters or less, particularly involving a celebrity who gets thousands of tweets per day?

Then the resulting tweets about tweets...geez! It's like high school except you have not only your circle of friends weighing in, you also have their friends, and friends of friends, and people from dozens of neighboring high schools weighing in. Who can withstand that level of scrutiny?

I am sorry he hurt your feelings, pj3, but because of that, you're no longer going to watch his show? Your choice, but your loss.

What a kerfuffle! But it gave me a chance to use that word...one of my favorites! And it has brought some new posters to this forum, so there's a plus! :grin:
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss
Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Bowedoak

Postby Bowedoak » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:11 am

Arshan,
When I was a teenager, I wrote a 16 page letter to someone famous for whom I had great admiration. This was before Twitter, facebook, before the internet.
About 12 weeks later, I got back a form letter requesting $20 to join his fan club. That was pretty common back then. I had been to conventions several times where I actually met this guy and each time you had to stand in line for hours and if you wanted an autograph you had to pay $6 for an "official" photo for him to sign. You could not bring a collector book with you.

Things have changed now. We have much greater access to those we are fans of, but we tend to forget a few things. These people are in a business and these people are human.
I have been following these tweetlines since yesterday. KO has 77,000+ followers. I have tweeted him dozens of times. I have tweeted @chicagoebert dozens of times, and some other people I respect and admire. I have never asked for a follow back. I have never asked for an answer. I rarely received an answer. They are not on twitter for us, just as we are not on twitter for them. They are simply part of the experience.
I know you are young, but you learned a lesson today, People you respect and admire will ultimately disappoint you, but that does not mean they are undeserving of your admiration. Your spouse, your friends, your kids will all break your heart in a myriad of ways, but you will do the same to them. None of us is perfect.
In my opinion, you over reacted and got hurt and the punishment you have bestowed on him is equivalent to kicking your son out of your house for spilling a glass of milk.
You expected him to act differently, but that expectation was yours and yours alone. KO gets thousands of tweets a day from people bashing him. You know this if you follow him. You made a huge mistake, it was a mistake but it was a big one. You sounded like you were trying to "school" him. It was accidental, but you sounded like you were trolling him and mocking him and insulting him.
You have to take responsibility for your own actions. You made a mistake and accidentally insulted someone. Instead of accepting that you messed up, you not only turned on someone who, up until that day, you had admired, but you also tried to enlist others- some with an agenda darker than yours, to punish him.
KO did the correct thing. If you think someone is insulting you, the best thing to do is to ignore them. He gets so many of these kind of insults, it was wrong of you to think that he should have known you meant well when he has to keep track of 77k followers and an additional tens of thousands of haters. One thing that became very clear as the day went on was that KO did not even realize he had harmed you. He was asking for answers and the full story was never really revealed.
He could not read your mind, all he had to go on was what you said. This mistake is on you. Own it and admit it and learn from it.
Last edited by Bowedoak on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slfriend79
Site Admin

Postby Slfriend79 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:36 am

Bowedoak, welcome to the forum. :wave

And your post was right on. =D> =D> =D> =D>
"Laugh hard, run fast, be kind." - Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor (Twice Upon A Time)

Marie
Certified Fan

Postby Marie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:56 am

Bowedoak, you reminded me of something. When I was 9 my mom helped me word a letter to my favorite actress, asking for an autographed picture. I used my grown-up stationary and she let me use her fancy fountain pen.

Before I sent the letter, she cautioned me that actresses get so much mail that they sometimes have their secretaries help with autographing photos for fans.

Now, my husband feels that wasn't a good thing for her to tell me, but honestly, I was totally cool with it: if someone as close as her secretary signed it, that was still plenty of personal attention! Mainly I wanted to let her know I was a fan.

I got the photo with a real signature, not a fake printed one, and was thrilled. I also got some good info from Mom about how things work in the real world, where famous people have to figure out how to deal with the welcome-- but at the same time heavy-- demands that fans make on their time.

-Marie-

dejapig
Site Admin

Postby dejapig » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:01 am

Welcome to the forum, Bowedoak! :wave
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. --Dr. Seuss

Keith Olbermann rocks! --dejapig

Return to “Keith Olbermann”